Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

Options

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    People say that the Prolific Assistant shows every study instead of only the studies they are eligible for. I'm confused how that happens because when I go to the studies page, it only shows a study if I'm eligible for one or else it just shows the tea cup.

Does the Prolific Assistant work for anyone on the new site?

I presume it gets the list of studies available from the main page as if you are logged out, instead of just yours. Therefore I am assuming the Assistant is unable to connect your account to Prolific (probably not able to pass your username and password through is my guess) and shows you every survey.

So the assistant does work - to a point. It'll tell you when a survey is available on the site, it just wont say whether you are eligible. However one thing the new site does do better then the old is its use of asynchronous javascript (AJAX) and self refreshing of the page without you manually having to do it.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... Well, that's all right then. So long as the asynchronous javascript is OK, the hell with having to scroll through gazillions of stupid, little menus trying to find the one that needs a pre-screening question answered or rummaging through loads of garbage trying to find your pending balance... What is all that wasted time compared to AJAX?

If they ever invent a programmer with a modicum of common sense, all this beta testing will be unnecessary, imho.
  • mikep22
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    ... Well, that's all right then. So long as the asynchronous javascript is OK, the hell with having to scroll through gazillions of stupid, little menus trying to find the one that needs a pre-screening question answered or rummaging through loads of garbage trying to find your pending balance... What is all that wasted time compared to AJAX?

If they ever invent a programmer with a modicum of common sense, all this beta testing will be unnecessary, imho.

Not going to lie it doesn't take me long to find the prescreening question which isn't complete. That said they should be able to implement it so it goes to the top. But I wouldn't say its a massive deal. Certainly less of a deal then a page automatically refreshing which means that we dont have to and can therefore just leave the tab open, IMHO.

Its not a beta, either. It is very common, in fact pretty much impossible, to not have to make changes to a website after it is published. Pretty much every site does so, tis just par for the course.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Well, so far, so clunky, I say, mikep. I really can't see why they have hidden the pending amount and cash out button; there is no logic to that.
  • Brookside88
    Brookside88 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    If you click on your actual balance at the top it scrolls to show you your pending
  • Smodlet
    Options
    If you click on your actual balance at the top it scrolls to show you your pending

Gosh! :o Thank you, Brookside. It is a mercy to PA I declined to test the thing... :o
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Options
    So .... I had thirty-odd quid to cash out last week (hurrah hurrah) which I did through Circle as usual. I checked my Circle app this morning and the money was there, but when I asked to cash it out to my bank I was asked to "verify myself" by giving them my full address and date of birth. I've never had to do that before.

I can't remember whether I had to give that info when I set up Circle originally, or whether they are just cheekily harvesting more information about me.
  • mikep22
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    So .... I had thirty-odd quid to cash out last week (hurrah hurrah) which I did through Circle as usual. I checked my Circle app this morning and the money was there, but when I asked to cash it out to my bank I was asked to "verify myself" by giving them my full address and date of birth. I've never had to do that before.

I can't remember whether I had to give that info when I set up Circle originally, or whether they are just cheekily harvesting more information about me.

So you want a company to send you cash, and you are getting funny that they are asking you are who say you are? OK....

Dont see an issue with what they are asking for myself. I use circle reasonably frequently and they dont ask me for it now, so it must be a one off.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Options
    It is just that I do not recall having given that information to Circle when I signed up with them, although I may be misremembering. I found it odd to be asked for my dob and address when I have been cashing out every month since the swap to Circle without being asked for those details, and I am asking to cash out to the same bank account, not trying to change any details.

I am just wary of handing out personal info that I do not think I have given out before, and could not see why Circle would suddenly need it. I do not know how they could verify it if I had not given it out before. They would not let me cash out without giving the details, so I had no choice. I was only asking the question on here to see if anyone else had encountered the same thing, thats all.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Hey, CJ, I could not remember how much information I had given Circle either so I had a quick Google and found this: Please see section 3 as I think it covers what we were both wondering about. HTH.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback