Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this ISA has the option of monthly interest? I prefer to see my money growing month by month rather than just sitting there all year not moving.
    It makes no difference! There's no point having monthly interest unless you actually need it to live on.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    It makes no difference! There's no point having monthly interest unless you actually need it to live on.

I know the actual amount paid is the same. It's just nice to actually see my money growing month by month rather than year by year.

Although what happens if I withdraw the money half way through the year (eventually it will be for a house purchase) will be interest to date be paid on the date I withdraw I do I still have to wait until the end of the financial year?
  • I'm guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the date the bonus expires is dependent on when you opened the account - ie 12 months from account opening.

tiptoe

I'm not sure why I thought it was the 31st.. my confirmation letter is dated 22 Feb 11.
  • SG27 wrote: »
    I know the actual amount paid is the same. It's just nice to actually see my money growing month by month rather than year by year.

Although what happens if I withdraw the money half way through the year (eventually it will be for a house purchase) will be interest to date be paid on the date I withdraw I do I still have to wait until the end of the financial year?

I'd imagine if you withdraw funds and close the account interest would be included in the payment. if you withdraw an amount the interest might not be paid until the end of the year.

I rarely log into my ISA so 'watching' it doesn't matter to me.
  • smallfry27
    Options
    There seem to be a couple of RPI linked ISAs around now - Yorkshire Building Society Protected Capital Account http://www.ybs.co.uk/investment/pca/pca-inflation-tracker2.html - which can be held as ISA or non-ISA. It pays equivalent of RPI plus 0.29% p.a. - which is actually paid as 1.5% at the end of term. Their partner Chelsea BS have a similar offering over 5 years with 2% at end of term (not yet on website). I wouldn't consider them myself, I'd rather have a fixed rate that is compounded, but they might suit someone.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    smallfry27 wrote: »
    There seem to be a couple of RPI linked ISAs around now - Yorkshire Building Society Protected Capital Account http://www.ybs.co.uk/investment/pca/pca-inflation-tracker2.html - which can be held as ISA or non-ISA. It pays equivalent of RPI plus 0.29% p.a. - which is actually paid as 1.5% at the end of term. Their partner Chelsea BS have a similar offering over 5 years with 2% at end of term (not yet on website). I wouldn't consider them myself, I'd rather have a fixed rate that is compounded, but they might suit someone.
    Very difficult to place these on a 'best available' list as the RPI might not be much higher in 5 years. So called experts can't even seem to agree what's going to happen over the next 12 months.
  • Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are better ISA deals usually available in March/April? I'm putting some money aside every month, and I want it to ultimately end up in an ISA. BUT I can currently get better interest rates in a regular saver. So at the moment it looks like a better idea to go for a 12 month regular saver (at 4%), and then move the money into an ISA at the end of the 2011/12 tax year, for future protection from tax.

If it's likely that an ISA will come up at 3.2% (or better), then I'll wait and go for that option, as it's more straightforward. I want the money to leave my account on the 1st, so I need to decide by 1st March (ie next week), as if I go for a 12 month regular saver, I'll need enough time to move the money before the end of the 2011/12 tax year. I know I could beat 3.2% on a two year fix, but I don't want to fix for longer than a year (as I'm optimistic that rates will rise :)).

I know no-one knows what deals are going to come up in the future, but I was just wondering whether past experience tells people that better deals are usually available around the change of the tax year?
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Svenena wrote: »
    Are better ISA deals usually available in March/April? I'm putting some money aside every month, and I want it to ultimately end up in an ISA. BUT I can currently get better interest rates in a regular saver. So at the moment it looks like a better idea to go for a 12 month regular saver (at 4%), and then move the money into an ISA at the end of the 2011/12 tax year, for future protection from tax.

If it's likely that an ISA will come up at 3.2% (or better), then I'll wait and go for that option, as it's more straightforward. I want the money to leave my account on the 1st, so I need to decide by 1st March (ie next week), as if I go for a 12 month regular saver, I'll need enough time to move the money before the end of the 2011/12 tax year. I know I could beat 3.2% on a two year fix, but I don't want to fix for longer than a year (as I'm optimistic that rates will rise :)).

I know no-one knows what deals are going to come up in the future, but I was just wondering whether past experience tells people that better deals are usually available around the change of the tax year?

I don't know what will come up later in March/April but on the main site there is a one year fix with Barnsley BS at 3.2% available now. Here's the link: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa#fproduct

Hope that helps,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Svenena wrote: »

Yeah, generally.

Released today:
    Santander Flexible ISA at 3.15%

Santander Loyalty Flexible ISA at 3.30% (for Santander current account/mortgage/investment customers)

And rumoured to be released on Monday:
    Halifax ISA Direct Reward at 3.0%, or 3.2% for Halifax current account customers. (Link to the existing Halifax ISA Direct Reward at 2.8/3.0%)
  • purplestar133
    Options
    Kazza, is there any reason the Barnsley 3.2% 1 year fixed rate ISA that Martin has mentioned is not in your list on the first post?

I am sure there must be good reason, but I see you have updated the list today and, I think, yesterday so I'm just wondering if I'm missing something obvious?!

It's funny, but I don't trust it's a decent option if you don't list it! I've been watching this thread for years and I trust your superior knowledge!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback