Chip n Pin still not everywhere?

Options
Went to a Pizza Hut takeaway at the weekend and a reciept still had to be signed when paying with Debit Card. Anyone else had this experience in other places?. I thought February 14th was meant to be the day when everywhere switched?

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chip and pin is not used on the self scan checkouts at Tesco, mind you don't have to sign either! So they are very secure!
    On the plus side there is usually someone to pack your bag for you while you argue with the computer, who I'm convinced moonlights on the sat nav in my car.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bargains83 wrote:
    ...I thought February 14th was meant to be the day when everywhere switched?
    After the 14th of Feb retailers have a right not to accept signature autorisation of a C&P card transaction. They have no obligations to move to PIN autorisation only.
  • haslemspenk
    Options
    If they have a chip and pin machine then you have to use chip and pin, but they're under no obligation to have a chip and pin machine.

C&P doesn't work well for anywhere that does delivery as they need to put it though as customer not present and then will get you to sign at the door. The pizza place I have my part time job doesn't use C&P as we're mainly delivery and quite a lot of people pay by card. The equipment costs to hire so they just have one older style system rather than paying out to rent a C&P machine also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure