The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Buildings insurance for £26 for a whole year

I recently had to get buildings insurance for a new house we've bought. Given the decorating is done, I didn't feel the need for accidental damage cover, and I've got extra piece of mind for any structural issues through the NHBC guarantee. I also skipped on legal expenses cover.

I think I used Confused.com to do the searching for me, but the best quote for my modern 3-bed terrace house (sale price £300,000) was by Zurich Insurance for £41. So I duly took out the insurance.

Low and behold, just before Christmas I received an email from Zurich thanking me for my custom and providing me with 3 Amazon discount codes, each worth a fiver. I've used two of these already. This promotion was not mentioned on their web site at the time I took out the insurance.

Taking off the value of the Amazon codes means the insurance cost me just £26. Bargain!

Comments

• MiM
    MiM Posts: 658
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm just trying to change and the cheapest I got for Buildings and Contents insurance for my £145,000 is about £200 pa. How did you manage Buildings for £41?

PS Zurich is my current insurer and is much more than that!
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    charlesh wrote:
    I recently had to get buildings insurance for a new house we've bought. Given the decorating is done, I didn't feel the need for accidental damage cover, and I've got extra piece of mind for any structural issues through the NHBC guarantee. I also skipped on legal expenses cover.

I think I used Confused.com to do the searching for me, but the best quote for my modern 3-bed terrace house (sale price £300,000) was by Zurich Insurance for £41. So I duly took out the insurance.

Low and behold, just before Christmas I received an email from Zurich thanking me for my custom and providing me with 3 Amazon discount codes, each worth a fiver. I've used two of these already. This promotion was not mentioned on their web site at the time I took out the insurance.

Taking off the value of the Amazon codes means the insurance cost me just £26. Bargain!
    Charlesh
    How much is your building insurance cover for?
  • charlesh
    charlesh Posts: 75 Forumite
    I used the rebuild figure provided by my mortgage company, which is something like 140k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure