Lloyds Bank Duo Avios Credit Card

Options
I have held these Lloyds-issued cards (Amex and Mastercard) for a number of years. I also have a BA Amex card. I also have (or rather had ) an Avios account. So, now Avios is "closing", no problem, all my (and my wife's) Avios have been moved over to our BA exec accounts (linked to BA Amex cards). I am continuing to earn Avios by using my BA Amex card.

Where it starts to get murky is the Lloyds end of things. I still have both the Lloyds cards (though I read somewhere that these were going to be changed). My most recent Lloyds card statement says I have been awarded 81 Avios, but I can't see these anywhere. A couple of calls to Lloyds and Avios have not provided any answers. Have these Avios vanished into the ether , never to be seen again ?
It's only rock 'n' roll ...

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,475 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Your product will shortly be changed to a Mastercard-only Avios, which is inferior to the one you have now.

Your best course of action is to complain in writing, setting out clearly what you would like to happen. Customer services are renowned for being unable to sort issues like this.
  • alfista
    Options
    "customer service" ? From my experience yesterday (fruitless phone calls) this seems to have been expunged from Lloyds and Avios. Never mind, I'll give it a few days to see if my missing Avios appear, then I'll go into writing. I'll probably bin the Lloyds card.

PS Apart from the recent glitch, I've been very happy with Avios up to now and have made good use of them for flights (this year 2 people return flights to Corfu and to Barcelona for a grand total of £140. I regard the Avios as a "freeby" since I pay no fees or interest on the credit cards).
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Your Avios points should be credited to your BA account, if that's where your existing Avios points were transferred automatically.

Try an online chat with Avios, they should be able to sort it out for you.
  • alfista
    alfista Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can find a way of starting an on-line chat, you're a better man than me. Meanwhile, my missing Avios have turned up :>))
  • olliebean
    Options
    This change to the Mastercard-only account is now under way, but as part of the switch my account has (hopefully temporarily) completely vanished from online banking - leaving me no way of checking whether my most recent payments have cleared. Supposedly my current cards will continue working until I receive my new one, but the apparent disappearance of my account has thrown this into doubt. I wasn't informed that there would be any disruption to online banking - I wasn't even informed that the change was imminent until after the card number on my account had already changed. They certainly haven't handled this as competently as I would expect. I'll be wasting time and money on the phone to them in the morning trying to find out what the hell is going on.

Apparently I'm going to have to manually re-authorise all my recurring payments as well, as they won't automatically carry across the way they usually do when I get a replacement card.

The transfer of my Avios points went smoothly, but I'm not happy at the reduced range and increased price of non-travel rewards (or with the necessity of pretending I'm going on a trip to my home city just to browse them).
  • MasterOfNinja
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I got confused when Lloyds sent me a new Mastercard and no Amex. I went over some of their older letters and it wasn't even clear they were doing this. The new earning rates aren't really that good at all!
  • 840inSussex
    Options
    Lloyd wrote to me some time ago and said they were ending their relationship with AMEX. Well, actually they fudged it by saying "due to changing regulations." They did not tell me quite when, just "within 2 months." In a letter dated 9th Jan, they told me "as at the date of this letter we have made these changes." What that actually meant was that they had completely ceased both of my credit Cards from 9th Jan. I then received another letter (also 9th Jan, but not delivered to my address until the 16th), giving me my new PIN number. I STILL have no cards, so Lloyds have left me without for over a week. On complaining to Customer Relations I was told that the new cards were issued on the 8th, and it is their practice to cancel the old cards the day after. I have never heard of such a stupid action, it is quite unrealistic to think that new cards will always arrive within one day. Lloyds are quite unrepentant, they say it is just their policy. I have told them where to stick their new cards (if they ever arrive) as fortunately I am creditworthy and can get new ones from another supplier - but not SAGA.............
  • alfista
    Options
    I received a letter dated 28/12/2018 from Lloyds telling me about the move to a new Mastercard and cancellation of the Amex card. Apparently this is going to happen "in a couple of months time". From what I've read on this forum, Lloyds have not handled the change very well, let's see what happens. Meanwhile :
    I use my BA Amex for most transactions, and continue to collect and use Avios.
    If a company won't take Amex, I use my Lloyds Mastercard and still get the Avios (creditted to my BA account).
    I got all my "old" Avios transferred successfully to my BA account.
  • alfista
    Options
    Get a BA Amex card.
  • Marchitiello
    Options
    Hi,

Any of you has not yet received a n official letter from Lloyds to announce the change of product?

I have yet to receive any official communication and have used the last two upgrade vouchers in September.

My Amex card started playing up in early January (contactless stopped working) and therefore I requested a replacement card, which arrived few days later as an exact replica of my previous card (expiration date, card number and even the 4 digit security number.

The cards expire in April, when my renewal fee would be due, but I suspect Lloyds have planned to change my product at that time to avoid a fee refund for this year. As you know the voucher target spend is to be achieved within a calendar year and mine has reset on the first of January.

As I am already half way through potentially another upgrade voucher, I am pondering if it is worth to keep spending on it until it expire or I should churn an Amex application straight away before they discontinue my card just before I get the Upgrade voucher.

Please let me know if you also have yet to receive the official communication from Lloyds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure