PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Second Property Abroad - Stamp Duty

Dear Friends,
To be qualified for standard Stamp Duty rates, my property or shares on the property abroad has to be valued less than £ 40,000.

What do I need to send to HMRC to provide them such information?

I have the Land Registration of the property in our names and the value paid in 2007.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    are you doing your own conveyancing?

this is the sort of question your ask your conveyancer...
    the answer is :
    - your solicitor submits the SDLT return on your behalf
    - your solicitor will ask you: are you telling the truth
    - you will sign the from to say you are
    - the form will be sent to HMRC, nothing else

HMRC may, if you are incredibly unlucky, decide to challenge your truthfulness and ask for evidence to support your signature. If that happens it will be months after the tax return went in and you'd have to have done something really odd to have drawn their attention.

Tax is called self assessment for a reason - you self declare that you are honest. They don't ask for proof you are honest.
  • 00ec25 wrote: »
    are you doing your own conveyancing?

this is the sort of question your ask your conveyancer...
    the answer is :
    - your solicitor submits the SDLT return on your behalf
    - your solicitor will ask you: are you telling the truth
    - you will sign the from to say you are
    - the form will be sent to HMRC, nothing else

HMRC may, if you are incredibly unlucky, decide to challenge your truthfulness and ask for evidence to support your signature. If that happens it will be months after the tax return went in and you'd have to have done something really odd to have drawn their attention.

Tax is called self assessment for a reason - you self declare that you are honest. They don't ask for proof you are honest.

Makes sense! I am being honest since the beginning. I had the option, as a lot of people "advised" me, to hide that I have a property abroad - in South America.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure