Have I been overcharged for honesty?

Long story short OH and I go on a 2 week holiday (with same firm as household insurers) at the end of next month. Whilst away we are having a new kitchen and bathroom fitted by trusted/known local contractors. I phoned insurers just to let them know and they have charged an additional £23.04 for an endorsement (on a policy that only cost c. £200 for combined contents and buildings insurance in the first place). We live in a 2 bedroom first floor flat.
The more I think about it the more I wish I hadn’t bothered telling them and wonder if this charge is fair?
Anyone any ideas?
Sally
Tilly Tidying and
PADing in 2024 £250.62
___________________________________________________________________________________________

RIP Mum & Dad - thanks for helping me on my journey to be
Debt and Mortgage free from 2018

Comments

• It sounds fair.
  • If you hadn't told them, and then you needed to make a claim, and the claim was declined because of the work being done, would that have been fair?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's hard to see why the Insurance company should make an extra charge due to work being done while the policyholder is away from the property. Any risk cause by the work should be covered by the liability insurance that the contractors have, and a building and contents policy would normally allow the policy holder to leave the property unoccupied for longer than two weeks (the limit is usually 30 days).

It is worthwhile checking your policy and other documents to see if you were obliged to tell them about the work. I would also call them to ask why they make the charge. If the agent you talk to can't tell you, and I very much doubt they will be able to, complain and ask for a proper response to your question. You might get a refund.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Thanks all. Now I’ve cooled off I think I will ring them again for clarification on the extra charge. It’s not the amount as such but the principle. I was trying to do the right thing and nobody had asked me to and it’s cost me. Also the property will be occupied a lot during the day so less likelihood of break in I’d have thought.
    Tilly Tidying and
    PADing in 2024 £250.62
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

RIP Mum & Dad - thanks for helping me on my journey to be
    Debt and Mortgage free from 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family