Council tax rebranding with extension

2»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 January 2019 at 7:56PM
    They won't give in easily and although I agree a brick extension is generally more valuable than a conservatory, many conservatories these days are built to high standard permitting year round occupation. So IMHO a large conservatory could be worth similar to a small brick extension.

Is the £5K addition, current pricing or 1991. If current, it is negligible, if 1991 do you have proof of this.

Regarding the SAR nonsense, I would readily give a CT payer the info we held on their home, it is not a state secret.

But these are my opinions and views, the VOA caseworker you are dealing with will probably disagree and is undoubtedly better placed to make a judgement.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • capstain411
    capstain411 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2019 at 5:03PM

There is nothing to stop you measuring your extension yourself. VOA use external measurements so you will have measure round the outside. If not possible, measure internally and add 27 cm to the measurements for each external wall (not the wall where the extension joins the house) or just tell the VOA the internals and let them work it out.

Hi Lincroft,

I had email back from VOA stating the following

"The details we hold for your property at 12, blah blah, West Midlands, BL13CT are as a three bedroom detached house at 165m2.

Measurements are taken internally and bathrooms and halls are not taken into account."

So do I then measure the rooms not hallway or landing to workout a figure, is that right.

What about garage.

I am assuming 165m2 is both floors combined. Using the property brochure for my house from purchase i worked the gross external area around 122m2....so surely if halls are not be accounted and only internal spaces that figures should be lot smaller then their records.

Would you recommend a measurement calculator ( online) which comes closet to what VOA uses.

Will they accept my measurements to get a inspector to visit or what more evidence would you suggest i submit. The comparison to identical property is secondary, if they have wrong floor space info based on which they have compared me to extended properties and banded me higher.

Thank you in advance.
  • lincroft1710
    165 sq m internal on a 3 bed, excluding halls and bathroom???

1. That is the wrong way of measuring a house, it should be to gross external (both floors are added together). I worked in or dealt with properties from at least 6 different VOA offices plus went on several courses and houses were always measured to Gross External. From memory, London offices may have used internal.

2. 120 sq m on a gross external would be a good size 3 bed. 65 sq m would be more accurate for a 3 bed on internals.

3. Garage should be excluded;

I recommend getting back to them and querying their measurements and way of measuring.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • capstain411
    capstain411 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2019 at 7:37PM
    HI All/Lincroft,

VOA looked at my evidence and still seems to believe Reduced covered area to be 165sq m. I will call them again. Will you kindly look at the image and give me your opinion on floor area. The have excluded garage. I simply cannot understand how they have calculated as it simply does not make sense.
  • lincroft1710
    Taking room dimensions and adding for wall thicknesses, I roughly calculate the area at around 155/160 sq m, excluding garage. So their 165 sq m isn't that far out.
  • That is that, I rest my case, no just eat, just baked beans tonight. Lincroft you are a legend
  • To answer the question based on legislation.
    The difference in Council Tax banding is correct.
    Legislation states, when an extension is built, it does not change the council tax banding until the property is re-sold.
    The extension was built before you brought the property, so the property was re-valued, which increased its council tax banding.
    As your neighbours built the extension, the council tax banding will not change until their property is re-sold.
  • lincroft1710
    1stPPi said:
    To answer the question based on legislation.
    The difference in Council Tax banding is correct.
    Legislation states, when an extension is built, it does not change the council tax banding until the property is re-sold.
    The extension was built before you brought the property, so the property was re-valued, which increased its council tax banding.
    As your neighbours built the extension, the council tax banding will not change until their property is re-sold.
    Why have you chosen to reply to a 2 yr old thread?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback