Santander CC First due date set before 1 month

2»

Comments

• Drogan
    Drogan Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 January 2019 at 11:58PM
    The due date on a Santander Credit Card is 26 days after the statement is produced, however there is no fixed statement date. it is usually set to 'payment not taken before X' (where X would be a day of the month) and the due date will fall within a few days after that date, the statement will work backwards and be produced 26 days before. If you didn't know the statement and/or due date, you could have just rang them as soon as soon as you used your card rather than taking a stab in the dark?

As many people have said above, be polite, ask for the Late Payment Fee back as a goodwill gesture, set up a Direct Debit to always cover the minimum and learn from your mistake.

Your 0% offer shouldn't drop off, as far as I'm aware Santander do not penalise you in this way, maybe someone else can confirm.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Fine you would think.
    I wouldn't. I would wait for the first statement notification and pay £280 the following working day.
    The due date of the first statement was the 1st Nov which I wasn't aware of when it was issued.
    Does this mean that you can't read? How is it possible not to be aware of the due date whilst having the statement in front of you?
    My payment arrived on the card on the 1st. So far so good.
    Lucky you! If the 1st were Sunday, your first payment would have arrived on 2nd and you would have received late payment marker.
    Second statement was issued. Due date set to the 31st Nov. Second payment arrived (1st Dec). So far so good.
    No good at all. You missed due date by a day.
    3rd statement issued. Due date set to 3rd Jan. £12 late fee. !!!!!!!
    No surprises, I am afraid. Your due date was 31st, not the 1st.
    My question here is aren't I supposed to have at least 1 month to pay a credit card each month?
    No. You have 56 days from the first day of the billing cycle. It has nothing to do with a calendar month.
    Also, how can they set a due date on the first statement for 3 weeks?
    I fail to follow you. What is this supposed to mean? That you have 3 weeks to pay? Well, probably the account was opened 35 days before the statement was produced. Do you have any recollection of the application date?
    Is that legal?
    This is within Santander CC their terms and conditions, that's enough.
    Based on what they have done, if I had use the card 1 day before the due date, they would have charged me a late payment fee.
    This is wrong. Have you used it 1 day before the due date, this transaction would go to the next billing cycle.
  • No error was made on my part. That's ridiculous!

I was made aware by another credit card provider that when making purchases on a credit card you get at least 4 weeks to make the minimum payment. My first payment was within 3 weeks.

On the basis of what you are saying that means you can have a 1 day due date after buying something. Suppose I had made the money transfer on the 31st of the October, it would then be physically impossible to make the deadline.

My question in this forum is about the due date that was set on the very first statement. Not a grilling thank you!!!

Yes it definitely is ridiculous that YOU made the error of not adhering to the T & C,s and yet another example of why everybody should set up DD to pay at least the minimum payment on time every time.

Good luck with your complaint though, you'll need it:T
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Your credit card statement should have the due date on it.

It rarely falls on the same date each month, it will be x days from statement being produced.

CC providers are normally generous if it's a first offence. Give them a ring and ask (nicely of course) if they will refund the charge and reinstate the promo. Also check whether they are putting late payment marker on your credit report and if that can be avoided. Posters have normally reported good results when admitting their error/oversight etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I took out a Santander credit card. As soon as I was allowed, I did a balance transfer which was on the 13th of October. Moments after I did this, I logged into my bank and setup a standing order for the 1st of Nov of £280 recurring each month. Fine you would think.

The due date of the first statement was the 1st Nov which I wasn't aware of when it was issued. My payment arrived on the card on the 1st. So far so good. Second statement was issued. Due date set to the 31st Nov. Second payment arrived (1st Dec). So far so good. 3rd statement issued. Due date set to 3rd Jan. £12 late fee. !!!!!!!

The first I get notification of a problem is today (9th Jane) when I received a sh&t litter saying I am in arrears and that I need to pay up. So this now means not only have I been charged fees. But my zero% deal is invalidated. Lovely. Thank you so much you idiots!!

I then tried to call Santander. 19 mins later cut off. Then again. On hold for 45 mins. Gave up. Sent a complaint online.

My question here is aren't I supposed to have at least 1 month to pay a credit card each month ? Also, how can they set a due date on the first statement for 3 weeks ? Is that legal ? Based on what they have done, if I had use the card 1 day before the due date, they would have charged me a late payment fee.

What Santander have done is absolutely outrageous.

Due date set to 31st November. Absolutely outrageous! How many days in November?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I logged into my bank and setup a standing order for the 1st of Nov of £280 recurring each month.

without knowing the statement and due dates you should have set up a direct debit rather than a standing order. (due dates will can vary each month which a DD accounts for) setting up a SO for a fixed date has resulted in you missing payment
    Did you look at your statements at any point to check your SO would be taken before the due date?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    You have informed us of the payment due dates but not the statement dates.
    The fact that you did a balance transfer on 13th October is of no relevance whatsoever to the situation. For a payment due date of 1st November the statement will have already been issued before 13th October as presumably it was in order for you to have selected 1st Month as the date for your standing order.
    You say the due date of the first statement was 1st November then go on to say that you were not aware of this when the statement was issued. How can this be? How could you have been unaware of the payment due date when the statement was issued and how strange that you should just happen to randomly choose that day of the month when setting up the standing order if you did not know when the payment due date was.
    There will always be a variation in payment due date on any credit card due to varying lengths of the month
    If you intend to make payment of the fixed amount of £250 per-month then you shuld have set up a direct debit accordingly.
    If you insist on paying by standing order then set the standing order well before the payment due date to ensure that there is no repetition of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure