Making a CV

My other half needs a cv to upload for a job.
Can anyone help with making a online CV
I’m completely lost on all the different apps and tools.
With thanks.
Jane x

Comments

• Better to pay for someone to do a decent job in the first place. Many of the online tools produce a basic CV, and don't focus on what the employer really wants.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You don’t need to pay someone to make you a cv.

If you have Microsoft word there is a default cv template that you can use.
  • JReacher1 wrote: »
    You don’t need to pay someone to make you a cv.

If you have Microsoft word there is a default cv template that you can use.

Thanks, I've started doing the CV from Microsoft template.
    very basic, but does the job.
    Jane x
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Better to pay for someone to do a decent job in the first place. Many of the online tools produce a basic CV, and don't focus on what the employer really wants.

Paying to have a CV created for you is a complete waste of money. You have to provide all the information about you to them anyway so by the time you have given them it you might aswell have done the CV yourself. It's not difficult and most people will do a much better job than any company as they will obviously know themselves better.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    saxonman wrote: »
    Thanks, I've started doing the CV from Microsoft template.
    very basic, but does the job.

Keeping it simple is a good idea. I have to review a lot of CVs and some I see are so over-designed that it's hard to find the information I want. When you are given a big pile of CVs and need to shortlist a few you only have time to spend a few seconds on each one so if I can't find the basics then it will go straight into the bin.

The main thing I hate is to see "Curriculum Vitae" in huge text at the top. Yes, I know what it is. Tell me about yourself.
  • Don’t forget to tell me who reads it why you should be given the job on the first page. Don’t treat it like a mail shot, I’m after someone who can do what I want, so if you can sort the blue smarties out, tell me you can.

Also, if you’re if you think you’re the right one, but just short on sorting the smarties out, or just out of uni or returning to work, tell me your customer facing skills. Not important to sort out the smarties, but tells me how you deal with my customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure