We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jac99 wrote: »
    Apparently Oregano has antibacterial and antibiotic properties, can help combat disease and promotes respiratory health.

I don't know if it is just wishful thinking but there appears to be some thought that different herbs promote chicken health in different ways, similar to humans I suppose. I have been giving them a handful most days and they seem to eat the majority except sage so far.

It also has the additional benefit of making it all smell nice!

Now, I wonder why they don't like sage? :think:
    :rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• jac99
    jac99 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hadn't thought of that!
  • Pyxis
    Hadn't thought of that!

:D:D:D:D

capitals
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :rotfl: you lot :rotfl:

I confess I forgot to go via the garden for oregano this morning, although they did get big handfuls of weeds and clover and grass :rotfl: I sat with them a bit but going to be out til about 11pm so they'll have to fend for themselves the rest of the day. They've got plenty of food and things to play with.

Luna actually jumped up onto my lap this morning, the first time one of them has done that! Of course, I had to lure her there with food :rotfl: but so far they've avoided it, although two of them will willingly eat out of my hand now :j All of them happily cluck and scratch round my feet whenever I'm in there :)

Luna and Mildred are still picking on Hermione :( Most of the time they all seem to bimble round together quite happily, but occasionally one of them will go out of their way just to peck her :( I would have thought after a week and a half the pecking order would be well and truly established and they could stop actually pecking, but am I just being naive?!

Maud's still a bit limpy but it seems to be much better this morning, thank goodness. She's still eating, hanging out with the others and not being bullied so I'm not unduly worried but I'd prefer it if she was walking properly!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:23AM
    Apparently Oregano has antibacterial and antibiotic properties, can help combat disease and promotes respiratory health.
    I don't know if it is just wishful thinking but there appears to be some thought that different herbs promote chicken health in different ways, similar to humans I suppose. I have been giving them a handful most days and they seem to eat the majority except sage so far.
    It also has the additional benefit of making it all smell nice!

Mine eat most herbs but not lemon balm or sage. There is another but I can't remember what that is at the moment. Ours come down to the house in the winter months and demolish what is left of our little herb gardens so I'll have to report back then when I know what is left untouched :rotfl: They scratch a lot of the soil out of them too all over the blooming patio but I guess they have fun doing that so I really don't mind :D
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Now, I wonder why they don't like sage? :think:
    :rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl:

I love the fun you bring to our thread Pyxis :T
    Luna actually jumped up onto my lap this morning, the first time one of them has done that! Of course, I had to lure her there with food :rotfl: but so far they've avoided it, although two of them will willingly eat out of my hand now :j All of them happily cluck and scratch round my feet whenever I'm in there :)

Luna and Mildred are still picking on Hermione :( Most of the time they all seem to bimble round together quite happily, but occasionally one of them will go out of their way just to peck her :( I would have thought after a week and a half the pecking order would be well and truly established and they could stop actually pecking, but am I just being naive?!

Maud's still a bit limpy but it seems to be much better this morning, thank goodness. She's still eating, hanging out with the others and not being bullied so I'm not unduly worried but I'd prefer it if she was walking properly!

Looks like yours are settling in really well Cheery and pretty quickly too which is great. I spend a lot of time with mine to especially when they are new here. Its lovely to see them be confident around you isn't it?. It makes me feel so happy that they are finally letting their guard down and beginning to trust us as their new keepers.

Their pecking order will settle Cheery. Sometimes it does take a while I'm afraid. The top hen will start too get bored with picking on Hermione and she will learn to keep out of their way in the meantime.

I wouldn't be unduly worried about Luna either Cheery to be honest. As long as she is eating and drinking and mixing with the others that shows that she is ok besides her limp. She may have just jumped off of something and slightly twisted it. You have certainly done all you can to check that it is not foot related so just keep an eye on here like you are doing and see how she gets on.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    Rosemary, perhaps? The leaves of rosemary aren't broad like other herbs, so maybe it's that one they don't like?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:42AM
    I've not been about on the thread over the past week but have now caught up with all the posts. Been away for a short break staying in a Shepherds hut in the middle of a field with 5 Rams and 2 horses. Great fun being off grid for a couple of day with absolute peace and quiet. No TV, internet, electricity but just a wood burning stove and lanterns oh and a running hot shower over a tin bath in a shed. Plenty of time to read when daylight with beautiful views across a valley. Ahh bliss!!! Our hens auntie looked after all of them whilst we were away. She adores them as I do and spoils them rotten. Hooray!! We are so lucky to have her on board we really are.

Right back to my hens. The 2 quiet hens have picked up a little and are ok still. Just old age with those two bless them. I have witnessed it so many times before so know the score with the really elderly ones. I just make sure they manage to get some treat food like the others do and make sure they are eating and drinking enough.

Keep up the good work everyone and keep spoiling your feathered friends :) I do love reading what everyone's hens are getting up to because there is nothing better than a good little little hen story :)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    edwink wrote: »
    I've not been about on the thread over the past week but have now caught up with all the posts. Been away for a short break staying in a Shepherds hut in the middle of a field with 5 Rams and 2 horses. Great fun being off grid for a couple of day with absolute peace and quiet. No TV, internet, electricity but just a wood burning stove and lanterns. Plenty of time to read when daylight with beautiful views across a valley. Ahh bliss!!!

Edwink

Blimey, Edwink!
    That's a real break!

Sounds like it was in Scotland or Wales if that remote!

Do I dare ask what the ahem bathroom arrangements were like? :eek:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh edwink, what a lovely break! :j sounds blissful! :)

All good here :j Maud's foot has improved thank goodness. They're all getting a bit cheeky now - Luna actually jumped onto my shoulder this morning while I was sitting in there this morning :eek: :rotfl: had to shoo her off after she started pecking my earrings :rotfl: then five minutes later Hermione jumped up there! :rotfl: so pleased they're comfortable with me but not sure how I feel about them being that near my face :eek: :rotfl:

We're SO close with our outdoor run now. Been pondering the roof all week - it's nearly 8 foot tall so should be fox proof - but there's a dry stone wall nearby and I don't know how well they can jump... Also didn't want them to be swimming in a mud bath come winter, so we've got corrugated plastic and will cover the lot today - it's clear plastic and the sides are just heavy duty mesh so there's plenty of light and air.

So much enjoying having them :):) thank you all so much for encouraging me :kisses3:
  • Pyxis
    I think foxes can jump up to 2 metres, depending on the situation.

Whether they could jump that far from the top of a wall, though, I don't know.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure