The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

halifax-insufficient notice of charges

Hi
I wondered if anyone can help.
My husband and I have a cardcash account with the Halifax.
Last we we had a cheque returned unpaid as a direct debit had been incorrectly taken out of our account on the same day as the cheque for £30.50 had been presented, incurring a £39.00 charge.
This was on the 1st of March, however we were unaware of it and were not notified until the 6th of March by e-mail by the Halifax at 9 o clock at night(which we have a record of) which was only 2 days before the charges were posted, which we feel is insufficient notice.
We complained to them and were informed that as we bank on line, it does take longer to notify customers of charges and were not prepared to refund the £39.
We have checked many internet sites and all have told us that the banking code requires 14 days notice before charges are applied and the Halifax own literature says that they will inform of charges by first class post a week before and we have never been told that intermet banking would slow down any proceedures.
We thoght it was supposed to make the systems more efficient!!
We have received a letter back from our complaint and my husband has spoken to the customer care manager Ben Durn, who denies that the banking code states 14 days notice and after discussing this site was only concerned to point out that the amount of the charge was valid, althogh this was not the point in question.
I think that if they are not acting according to the rules then this should be brought to public s attention and feel our charge should be refunded but aren't sure how to proceed from here.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills