To sell or not to sell?

I took out an 25 year endowment policy with Standard Life in 1986 to cover a 30K mortgage. A few years ago Standard Life warned me that there was going to be a shortfall and I wrote to Lloyds,who had sold me the policy,and lodged a formal complaint claiming that the policy had been mis-sold. The same old story I'm afraid - I hadn't been warned of any risk and was told that there would be a surplus on maturity. I had a letter back from Lloyds telling me to go forth and multiply so I complained to the FSO. The FSO contacted me and said that they couldn't get involved because the policy started in 1986 and was outside their remit. I consulted a solicitor to enquire whether it was worthwhile pursuing it myself and was advised against it. A few weeks ago, and much to my surprise, Lloyds contacted me saying that they were going to re-open my case and would I care to fill out the complaint form again. I did this thinking that it was all going to be a waste of time. However, within a couple of weeks I had a reply and, I'm relieved to say, Lloyds have finally admitted mis-selling the endowment and have offered £4,200 compensation in line with FSA guidelines (so they say). I'm not sure what to do though - the minimum payable sum at maturity is £18,237 + Final Bonuses, the premium is £40.00 per month - the surrender value is £13,800. Would I be a sucker to surrender the policy with only 5.5 years to go and with the flotation and share issue in 2006? I would be very grateful for a bit of advice. I just rang Standard Life for a bit of info regarding Final Bonuses and they said speak to an IFA. I've been badly advised in the past and so I am a bit nervous. Can anyone help please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure