Martin Lewis: I averaged 23,513 steps per day (burning 3,600 calories) in 2018 – here's how...

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    The 2019 Keep Moving Challenge has started, Martin should join in ;)
  • What tracker does Martin use?
  • Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 308
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How does Martin get this to be 3,600 calories per day?

A very rough rule of thumb is you burn 100 calories per mile when walking, so 13.3 miles per day is about a third of this.
  • Haha - that's epic!

I like fitness tracking too and run quite a lot. Not quite as much as Martin though!

I'm also interested in what tracker he uses

And also.. his daily diet and routine would be interesting. If he's burning that daily he must be eating quite a lot.

I know how hard it is to eat 4000-5000 calories a day from trying to bulk up (Not for the penny pinchers either...!)
  • Using fitbit tracker charge 3 - I think it overestimates steps a bit but suppose it doesnt matter if you are using the same device. It also seems generous on calories burned. Plus side its not obtrusive and easy to use.

I average 14,000 steps only by walking, I dont run. Dog walks, walk from station, lunchtime stroll and being aware make it easier and its part of my day now, a new habit since i got the tracker.

No weight loss but its only cost is time. Exellent for weight mgt but a diet will be needed to get rid of my belly
  • Good article, I'm now inspired to do more walking.
    You mentioned burning 3,500-4,000 calories per day (values contested by other bloggers). I guess that you're not gaining weight, nor fading away - can you give some indication of your diet / calories intake, please?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Ash_Pole wrote: »

A very rough rule of thumb is you burn 100 calories per mile when walking, so 13.3 miles per day is about a third of this.

That's how many calories I do in an average day - not how many calories I do by stepping. :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Ash_Pole wrote: »

I eat far more healthily than I used to (which years ago was a lot of junk food). Yet my diet still isn't great. However I get to eat nice big quantities without worrying too much :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't count my steps, but I do walk more as part of my commute currently.

Not really by choice but because someone at the company I work for decided to put a staff shuttle bus facility in a (imo) terrible location.

Well done, whomever that was, I hope the cake was worth it.

P.S. The cake is a lie.
  • I agree the benefits of walking and step counting can lose weight increase health (both physical and mental) and motivate you. I started stepping in May after looking at myself one evening and thinking you fat ******** weighing in at 14st 13 lbs. I am now 11st 6 lbs. The one warning I would give is if you are older as I am the impact on your joints may not be good. I have started using a cross trainer non impact plus I now do some weights as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure