Currys refusing return of rubbish oven

A few weeks ago I purchased a new Kenwood gas oven for £650. However, it is absolutely rubbish and either burns the bottom of anything we put in or doesn't cook meat properly to the point we have nearly served raw chicken and raw beef to our kids.

I rang currys the day after we first used it to complain, who informed me it would need an engineer to check for a fault. Engineer came - no fault but said he has seen many many complaints with this type of oven.

I then made a complaint about the oven with the intention of getting a refund as was within 14 days cooling off period. I was informed that I would need to speak to a manager who would call me back (just before christmas) - they didn't bother contacting me. Rang them again a few days later and was told the same thing and still no contact from a manager. Finally got through to them today and they said because there is no fault with the oven, there is nothing they can do because I have used it.

Where do I stand legally with this? How can I tell if an oven is working unless I use it? The oven is not fit for purpose and wasn't exactly cheap so can't just buy a new one.

Another review by someone with the the same oven stated exactly the same problems and they got a refund because it is in fact a 'continental' oven and not a traditional 'conventional' oven. Because there is no mention of this on their site currys agreed to refund.

The annoying thing is I actually wanted to buy the electric fan version of the same oven. I purchased but forgot to add installation so cancelled and accidentally selected the gas one!! They look identical and have the same price!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

The annoying thing is I actually wanted to buy the electric fan version of the same oven. I purchased but forgot to add installation so cancelled and accidentally selected the gas one!! They look identical and have the same price!

Madness! Why didn't you just cancel the purchase of the gas version once you realised and buy the one you wanted? And then using an oven that you didn't want in the first place just seems nonsensical.

But, given that you do have it, and taking into account the major error of buying it from Currys, the first question has to be how did you pay for it?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have a link to this oven? Can't seem to find any Kenwood gas oven for anywhere near £650.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The oven is not faulty, you have just bought the wrong oven. Conventional gas ovens have a gas burner at the back, continental ones on the base. You need to adjust your cooking methods when your heat source is directly below what you are cooking. e.g if roasting meat place it on a rack so it is not in direct contact with the roasting pan, and turn it occasionally for even cooking.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It could be this one:
    https://!!!!!!/2BZRtGe
    So a cooker rather than an oven. ;)
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    You purchased online? Are you still within the cooling off period.

If yes then Currys cannot refuse to allow you to cancel the order and return the oven, used or not. What they can do is reduce the amount they refund to account for the reduction in value resulting from your use. However if it's not spotless and free from any damage you're not going to see much of a refund... You might be better off selling it on.

Oh and buy a meat thermometer, any new oven was going to be different from your old one, you can't blame Currys for that.
  • So the one I meant to buy was this one: https://!!!!!!/2R3d8rD and the one I actually purchased was this one: https://!!!!!!/2BZRtGe. I know it sounds stupid but it didn't even twig that i'd ordered the wrong one until it was installed. And then i thought it can't be that different from the one I intended to buy.

However, reading the reviews of the one I actually purchased there is no way I would ever have ordered it. It is obviously not fit for purpose. Honestly, it is awful.

How does the partial refund thing work? The manager on the phone said there is nothing they can offer. I rang up within 1 day of using the oven with the intention of getting a refund but then I had to wait for a gas engineer to come out and inspect it, then there was christmas, then currys refused to call me back and so now I am outside the 14 day cooling off period through no fault of my own. It is 20 days today.
  • Purchased with american express, is there any comeback there?
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    The oven is not faulty, you have just bought the wrong oven. Conventional gas ovens have a gas burner at the back, continental ones on the base. You need to adjust your cooking methods when your heat source is directly below what you are cooking. e.g if roasting meat place it on a rack so it is not in direct contact with the roasting pan, and turn it occasionally for even cooking.

I was going to post on similar lines. The number of times I've seen people blame others for their mistake is incredible.

Dear OP, adjust the way you cook, you will soon get used to it, if not, sell this one and get the one you wanted. We find eltric fan assited ovens are a dream. I was reluctant to go from gas to eltric but the best thing we have done
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So the one I meant to buy was this one: https://!!!!!!/2R3d8rD and the one I actually purchased was this one: https://!!!!!!/2BZRtGe. I know it sounds stupid but it didn't even twig that i'd ordered the wrong one until it was installed. And then i thought it can't be that different from the one I intended to buy.

However, reading the reviews of the one I actually purchased there is no way I would ever have ordered it. It is obviously not fit for purpose. Honestly, it is awful.

How does the partial refund thing work? The manager on the phone said there is nothing they can offer. I rang up within 1 day of using the oven with the intention of getting a refund but then I had to wait for a gas engineer to come out and inspect it, then there was christmas, then currys refused to call me back and so now I am outside the 14 day cooling off period through no fault of my own. It is 20 days today.
    Sorry to say but although they look the same, the difference in fuel is very obvious on the site - it's in the respective product names. You cannot say it is "obviously not fit for purpose" when it's had 230 reviews with an average score of 8.1/10. It might not be fit for you, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. It's a bit like mistakenly ordering a diesel car instead of the petrol equivalent and then saying it's not fit for purpose because you don't drive in a manner that suits a diesel engine.

Regarding the partial refund, you presumably have record of your contact with Currys? You could ask them to take it back but they would make a deduction for its used condition if they take it back at all. Have you got all the original packaging, instructions, etc? I don't think they'll take it back because you should have formally rejected it within the 14 days. There was no need to wait for a gas engineer. You knew as soon as it was installed that it was the wrong one. That was the time to formally reject it, not after it was inspected and after Christmas. Instead, you've used it, tried it, continued to use it over Christmas(?) and now want to reject it? Can't see it happening I'm afraid.

I think your best options are to either learn to use it as that type of oven needs using, or cut your losses and sell it.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Purchased with american express, is there any comeback there?
    No, because it's not faulty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport