PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ian h what is it you're struggling with?
    Is it what to get rid of or are you buying more non essentials??

I have a standard lilac it flowers around my birthday in June and smells wonderful. So much so I bought the bigger bush one last year, it didn't flower much last year so I'm hoping it's settled this year.
    LL - kondo is so addictive. I find myself looking at other people's houses and wanting to kondo them too :rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Kondoed a returns parcel - have been meaning to get it sent off for a week now and its been under my feet . Now gone. Never used Herm*s before but drop off was on my way to The Town and I needed to go shopping - downside of rural living having to combine errands,shopping appointments etc with the minimum driving to and fro!

Pouring down here so not going to drag out stuff from shed as I had planned.........nothing for it its another day going through boxes that have accumulated in the office/study. As I have cleared stuff out of cupboards in other rooms I have moved yet to be sorted stuff into rooms we dont "live in" IYSWIM so spare bedrooms, office and over winter conservatory. However conservatory now clear of what I deem to be mine - OH will have to sort his detritus - the stuff he ALWAYS puts away. DR and LR are pretty much clutter free and porch area needs a turnaround of winter gear to not-so-winter gear. DD2 could do with going through some of here 'stored ' stuff again but that is a WIP. Going to have a solid couple of hours at it then a late lunch :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ScotinLondon
    ScotinLondon Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Afternoon all...Hope all are well. Not posting as regularly as i would have liked.
    Only little bits of KDing going on, paperwork and money mainly.

I have been studying a little bit, not every day as I still come home completely shattered. Tube journey's do take it out of you, especially if don't get a seat.

So, my next target is going to be for me to sort out more paperwork that we don't need. Also will be Kding money as we need to update our bathroom this year, just in talks with the plumber/builder. hopefully will start works soon.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend.
    SILx
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Going through some paperwork yesterday for a house purchase and sale of a house my OH owned before I met him. I shredded all the paperwork for the sale of that house and purchase of a subsequent one. When I went to shred the paperwork for the first house purchase, I found some of the original deed documents. Now these aren't actually needed to prove ownership (hence why he had them as the mortgage company wouldn't want them), but are merely 'of interest' to show the history of the building and it's owners. Trouble is I had shredded the details of the person who bought the house from my OH before I discovered the documents. Drat (or other such words). It's not just a case of posting these documents to 'The Owner, Address' as we're pretty certain it's become a rental property.

I think I'm going to have to pay £3 to see if I can get some contact details from the title document at Land Registry.

I could just bin them, but I feel duty bound to at least try to pass them on to somebody who may be interested. I know I'd like to have the similar documents for the house we bought last year. We'll certainly be passing on the original documents for our house to whoever buys it when we move in a couple of years.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    maryb wrote: »
    Someone (I think it might have been Grey Queen) uses the analogy of Barbie dolls to work out what you need in the way of clothes ie work Barbie, weekend Barbie, sporty Barbie etc. I found that quite helpful
    :p Yup, that was me. I am Allotment Barbie, Office Barbie, Loungewear Barbie and Lazing-Around-with-Friends Barbie. Not so aspirational as Barbie-Barbie and not a tippy-toed plastic shoe in sight.:rotfl:

slinky, not sure how historical your former house was, but my extended family found ourselves with some paperwork (not deeds) to an early 19th cottage which was owned by my great-grands and then great-uncle from the 1920s-1990s. Short version of long tale; left outside the family to someone who didn't want to spend 3 x market value on making it habitable, auctioned and has been bought & sold several times since.

Some of the documentation was of historic interest (it was built on land which had been taken in one of the many Enclosures). So we gave the packet of papers to the county records office, where they will be available for anyone who wants to research the building. Seemed the best way forward and prevented them from being lost to posterity by lurking in a drawer at the homestead.

Have been very busy this week, so busy that this pooter hasn't even been on for about 4 days. Basically gardening/working/eating/ sleeping.

Stuff dug out of the Plot2 lottie; couch grass, nettles, brambles, horsetails, bindweed, docs, common mallow, lego, flakes of polythene, broken glass, pottery, bits of flowerpots and a strange plastic object, badly degraded, which looks like somthing you might get from A** S*mmers!:eek:

:D I really REALLY don't want to know how that got underground on there and chucked it in a bucket with my glov'd hand and muttered about passing the Acme Mind Bleach. But I thought I'd mention it as we all need a laugh, hey?:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 8:33AM
    I have another mantra, son sent it to DDs and me, he is a project manager and uses it a lot. I am going to carve it on a plaque, when I unpack my tools but now I will use it to help me sort my wardrobe. It gives me 4 categories and the first 2 can go straight back into the wardrobe

MoSCoW Must have, Should have, Could have, Won`t have

I haven`t started the wardrobe yet, the weather wasn`t right, I think I was too cool and tired from not sleeping well. I might be raring to go today, later. I can apply that to every single item in my house, as though I were shopping for it from new. It will help me go forward and offers more scope and reasons, rather than love it or not, which is now too narrow, having done two sweeps
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Afternoon all...Hope all are well. Not posting as regularly as i would have liked.
    Only little bits of KDing going on, paperwork and money mainly.

I have been studying a little bit, not every day as I still come home completely shattered. Tube journey's do take it out of you, especially if don't get a seat.

So, my next target is going to be for me to sort out more paperwork that we don't need. Also will be Kding money as we need to update our bathroom this year, just in talks with the plumber/builder. hopefully will start works soon.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend.
    SILx

Hey SIL, good to 'see' you! Paperwork reduction is good. It's a tricky category. Exciting news about the impending new bathroom!
    We had our small bathroom re-done about 5 yrs ago and I still think of it as new :)
    Although it is mostly tiled I have a feature wall that is wallpapered (so i can ring the changes because the rest of the room is pretty neutral). One of my straight talking friends described the latest paper i applied as being like something out of a 90's hotel. Well, I reassessed it with a view to changing it, but guess what? I love that paper so it's staying for a bit longer :rotfl:

I have also just found a rather fabulous long and narrow framed art work that fits both the space and the colour scheme, CS £4! The item is very 1970's - coloured wool and beads in a sort of stylised flower, almost Middle Eeastern inspired shape. I love that, too. So a clash of styles? The wallpaper is one colour, quite dark but with a sheen to it. The art work sits beautifully on this plain background, as it has some of the same colour in it, along with a brightness :D

So now I assume you all imagine me living in a tasteless and clashing riot of colour with lots of random pictures, a large model boat, 2 over-sized sunloungers and a serene mahogany dining suite trying to claim I have good taste :rotfl::rotfl:

Now I have typed that sentence I realised I *am* crazy :eek: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You an individual MM with your own identity :)

I am raring to go :D, just had a cup of matcha and am looking forward to working with the archers omnibus. Moscow will be applied. I am laying all coats, jackets body warmers on the bed, it will be heaped so I will have plenty to get my teeth into. Then I will follow with bags and I can see some to give away, already did 2 sweeps of my wardrobes

My aim, after looking at houses and more limited storage, is to get two wardrobes into one, without squashing. I am going to enjoy this and moscow makes much more sense, to me at my stage of clearing
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MMF - your house sounds like a home. It should be, not a feature from an interiors magazine!

Kittie - some useful info on MoSCoW analysis here. There are lots of other resources available. It's a very popular way of getting people to prioritise in business when everyone wants everything!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:35AM
    coats and bags are done, coats/jackets/body warmers all in 1/3 of my bedroom wardrobe. Now how to arrange the 2/3 remaining space, before I start on the rest of my clothes, all in a very tall pile on my bed. In my bedroom wardrobe, I use it every day so must have clothing for the season. Categories will be allotment/cycling/crafting classes, home/casual, viewings and visitings.

One small wardrobe in bedroom 3, funeral clothing including a dark grey wool coat, holiday clothing in sets. In the meantime then I will work on the small wardrobe in bedroom 2 and they will be added to my pile, which will soon be taller than me, bearing in mind that my bed is high. Aim today really has to be to empty bedroom 2 wardrobe

This reminds me of many years ago, when staying with widowed mil, staying in a spare bedroom, wardrobe was full of suits and coats, all good second hand wool stuff. We are not the first, or the last :)

Satisfying today and back to it in a mo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport