PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• elmer
    elmer Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I plan to mulch this month, I too have compost to turn and a no dig garden, so it requires mulching.
    I only have to do it once a year, then it keeps the weeds at bay and everything hopefully will be lovely again come spring
    Fingers crossed that the periods of minus 9 haven't done too much damage, although a gap is always an excuse to move things around a bit, or even try something new

elmer
  • Ploppy57 I think our OHs must be related. Mine has CDs although we don’t even have a CD player any more. The worst is the wires, cables, charges, plugs for long gone appliances. He has agreed to round them up and confine them to one box - only problem is we haven’t currenntly got a big enough box !
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have 2 boxes in the garage of cables and chargers, they breed, I’m sure of it. Last week DH posted a cable off to a friend who needed a specific one....yes I thought, one more out but then said friend sent back 20 other cables that DH could make use of....arrrghhhhh!!!!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    In the spirit of sharing how differently we do things, I sort my washing a lot! I find that washing according to instructions really helps prolong the life of clothes. It may be significant that I make a lot of my own clothes (though not OH's!) and am quite fussy about them.
    We have a piece of furniture (made by OH) that has books and ornaments on top. Underneath, it has 4 frames that slide out, each with a washing bag hung on. Darks, whites, ordinary, delicates. Every day I look at them and see if I can make up a wash. I certainly mix a bit - a few robust darks or the odd 'delicate' might go in an ordinary wash and so on. I have a bucket for kitchen washing, and towels and bedding do go straight in the machine.
    I do know this wouldn't suit everyone! I have enough room, and as we wear clothes until they fall apart, we have a good supply of 'everyday' clothes. I also have a fantastic airing cupboard, thanks to the solar thermal panels, so drying is easy. I'm retired, and although busy, can do things at the right time to maximise energy use.
    However, even before I retired, I was careful to wash clothes properly. I still regularly wear everyday clothes that are 20 years old. Bought T shirts don't last that long - I reckon to get 4-5 years of good use and another 4-5 years of 'round the house' use.
    Have a good Friday all
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Charis wrote: »
    I never though of that. I thought it was the washing liquid, although I do use a leading brand. It does annoy me that especially on dark, plain tops the slightest grease mark will not wash out, even at 40 deg, let alone 30 deg. I have never been happy with a mixed load at 30 deg, I reckon it's the detergent manufacturers' way of getting us to do a wash load every day. Convincing us that we are saving the planet. Most real stains don't shift without the new range of prewash stain shifters (more to spend on and find storage for) and who really believes that things get clean at a temperature that isn't as warm as our blood? I have found an excellent stain remover for food stains in baby clothes. I tried everything to remove a big, deep orange stain from my baby gd's pink dress, but was about to give up when I put it in the sunshine on a bedroom window sill. The dress didn't fade, but the stain disappeared.

Another vote for good old cheap washing up liquid. I rub it into any greasy spot before washing and it usually does the trick

I also use the washing up liquid as a floor cleaner and it's the best thing I've found to clean my handspun alpaca after spinning - I tried all the eco stuff like soap nuts and sadly they just didn't work.
    Looking for a bed for him on Gumtree (as he’s currently in a cot). A lot are just as expensive as getting a new one! My husband wants to get him a toddler sized bed but I want to go straight into a single and save buying another bed in a year or two. We’ll see who wins that one!

My children never had a cot as such, just a travel cot which meant that when we went visiting they were basically in the same bed.

From the travel cot they went straight to a full-size bed - but to start with they just had the mattress on the floor. Once I was happy that they were secure enough on their feet that they could climb in and out of the bed then the ends were put on and it was a normal bed. :D
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ploppy57 I think our OHs must be related. Mine has CDs although we don’t even have a CD player any more. The worst is the wires, cables, charges, plugs for long gone appliances. He has agreed to round them up and confine them to one box - only problem is we haven’t currenntly got a big enough box !

LOL....maybe they are the same start sign...
    You are lucky he can fit them in a box. OH has a double wardrobe with 3 drawers underneath and that is full of all the cables, spare parts, camera bags....(why he needs more than 1 is a mystery to me) and other rubbish.
    Good luck in your search for a big box...lol
  • System
    Pooky wrote: »
    We have 2 boxes in the garage of cables and chargers, they breed, I’m sure of it. Last week DH posted a cable off to a friend who needed a specific one....yes I thought, one more out but then said friend sent back 20 other cables that DH could make use of....arrrghhhhh!!!!

Sorry but this has made me laugh...it is the sort of thing mine would do. I actually thought of throwing out a couple a week, I'm sure he wouldn't notice.
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2018 at 5:16PM
    I would like to report a success today with laundry simplification.

I put slightly less clothes in the machine, whipped them out straight away, flapped them within an inch of their lives and hung them up, giving the odd crease a stretch out.

Preliminary inspection now they are almost dry suggests that they can go straight in the wardrobe!!

:dance:

I shall use the ironing time wisely and read instead.
  • System
    I would like to report a success today with laundry simplification.

I put slightly less clothes in the machine, whipped them out straight away, flapped them within an inch of their lives and hung them up, giving the odd crease a stretch out.

Preliminary inspection now they are almost dry suggests that they can go straight in the wardrobe!!

:dance:

I shall use the ironing time wisely and read instead.

Any ideas to lessen the ironing pile are always worth sharing...lol
  • Evening everyone

Just came home from my sister's, actually only wanted to pick something up but ended up watching a whole movie with her. Had to go home now as I need to do laundry and get some stuff done for my "side job" - well, actually it is less a job but more being paid for something I love doing and would do anyways, paid or not... - which I will need tomorrow, otherwise we would probably have ended up ordering pizza or making a dash to the supermarket to get something unhealthy...

There are hardly any clothes I iron, currently I have one pair of summer trousers and one blouse that needs ironing plus tea towels and hankies, but since I have enough of them I don't have to do it weekly. I was tired of taking the ironing board out each time so I now put a towel on my kitchen counter and iron on top of that, works just fine, I have a stone surface in the kitchen, so don't have to worry about burning it. Only take the board out now when I sew.

I live alone and wash once a week as I have a relatively small wardrobe so don't want to wash only every second week. I only sort into a 60° wash for towels, kitchen stuff, underwear, bedding and anything else that can stand the heat. "Regular" clothes, socks and tights get washed at 40°. I don't have any white garnments, only a bra or two, while towels and stuff are coloured. So there isn't much that can take colour. I am extra carefull though when I have a new dark garnment, especially jeans, sometimes I can justify running a dark and a light 40° wash and other times I will wash the few items I fear might take the colour by hand or wait for next week.

Lately I bought some washing liquid for delicate fabrics as I use it to wash knits. Stood in front of the washing powder / soften shelf in the supermarket and wondered why the hell there are more different softener than there are washing powder?????

@bluegreen, I wouldn't do the detour with the toddler bed either, for this year or two in which he will use it and then you will need a new bed, mattresss, sheets again... I slept in a single bed from about 2 1/2 and to prevent me from falling out my parents put two chairs next to the bed, so I would roll from the bed onto the chairs and then the backrest would stopp me from falling to the floor...

@wednesday good idea with the one sort of fruit rule. I think it is easiest to figure out how much you need to buy when you only have one kind of fruit as you can just count how many you will likely eat in a week or whatever you shopping intervall. I basically only eat apples in winter and never run out before going to the shops again and don't have to throw any away because I don't eat them quick enough, but in summer when I am likely to have melons, berries, peaches.... I often end up going to the shops to top up or trying to keep on top of my fruits before they go up.

So, need to go downstairs and hang my laundry up... Our laundry room has a dehumifier, so it will dry very quickly. Hardly used the dryer since I moved here, in winter everything goes into the laundry room and in summer I will only hang up the big suff downstairs and everything that fits onto my drying rack goes out onto the balcony. So glad the times of wet cardigans hanging from all my chairs and jeans that didn't got dry for 24 hours are over...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family