Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• wookie66 wrote: »
    Called Sky on 0800 151 2747 used auto voice service straight to cancellation team then got through to Retentions Team in Scotland helpful chap got my subs discounted to following:

Sports £16.50

Variety Bundle £19.20

Multi room £12

Total 47.70pm for 18month contract on sky plus

Monthly subs had jumped to £80 recently following end of previous discounts so happy with this deal

Hope this helps others
    Did you get written confirmation that the discount is for the entire 18 months and not just 12 months with full price on the last 6 months?
  • john-306
    john-306 Posts: 722
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2017 at 1:00PM
    wookie66 wrote: »
    Called Sky on 0800 151 2747 used auto voice service straight to cancellation team then got through to Retentions Team in Scotland helpful chap got my subs discounted to following:

Sports £16.50

Variety Bundle £19.20

Multi room £12

Total 47.70pm for 18month contract on sky plus

Monthly subs had jumped to £80 recently following end of previous discounts so happy with this deal

Hope this helps others

That doesnt seen a good offer to me, theres a link for 50% off futher up the page, my 50% off gave sports @ £13.75 Movies @ £4.50 Box sets @ £19
  • theshoefairy
    theshoefairy Posts: 221
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2017 at 2:01PM
    I went ahead and cancelled my Sky subscription earlier this week.

I cancelled the lot, Sky Box Sets, TV, and Broadband as they said that they would extend the notice on the BB and phone to 31 days.

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm just about to start a live chat with the stay with Sky team to see if I can get a better deal. My plan is to tell them I'm just seeing what the absolute best deal I can get is before taking the deal I have been offered from Virgin. Should I do this now or wait to see if they contact me?

Edited - Offered me 40% off TV for 12 months

Your tv subscription is £34.80 a month for 12 months and then £50 a month. Your broadband subscription is £20 a month for 12 months and then £25 a month. Your talk plan is £00 a month. Your line rental is £18.99 a month. Your total subscription is £81.79 a month for 12 months and then £101.99 a month.

What rubbish!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think my messed up account (the future bill has not been changed from 4 days discounted and the rest full price) is due to the way the man I reported the initial mistake to using the wrong procedure.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I went ahead and cancelled my Sky subscription earlier this week.

I cancelled the lot, Sky Box Sets, TV, and Broadband as they said that they would extend the notice on the BB and phone to 31 days.

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm just about to start a live chat with the stay with Sky team to see if I can get a better deal. My plan is to tell them I'm just seeing what the absolute best deal I can get is before taking the deal I have been offered from Virgin. Should I do this now or wait to see if they contact me?

Edited - Offered me 40% off TV for 12 months

Your tv subscription is £34.80 a month for 12 months and then £50 a month. Your broadband subscription is £20 a month for 12 months and then £25 a month. Your talk plan is £00 a month. Your line rental is £18.99 a month. Your total subscription is £81.79 a month for 12 months and then £101.99 a month.

What rubbish!
    As tv needs a month's notice but phone/bb only 14 days, it's best to cancel just tv, then the other later (having found somewhere to move to to avoid a cease charge).

• Edited - Offered me 40% off TV for 12 months

Why on earth are they offering 40% when their own website offers 50%???

Perhaps you should tell them about the 50% offer and see if they can beat it :D
  • I have no idea. When I originally phoned to cancel they offered the same as I have but with the variety package, today that was 70 odd quid a month. Do they usually call back?

I cancelled thephine and Internet as she said she would extend the cancellation period to 31 days instead of the 14.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I’m now in a new 50% discount period for the next 12 months, but not without a whole load of fuss. Here’s my story.

When I came to the end of the 10th month of the previous discount I eventually got through to live chat (let’s call her Saanvi) who offered me a similar deal but more expensive and longer contract, and outrageously said during convo that “I might as well get this out the way (!!!!) but any discount applied by sky on tv, even on sky Q has a £10.00 admin fee”. Seeing through this blackmail I proceeded to cancellation.

30% off for 12 months appeared straight away online. I did not take this up.

The next live chat (lets call him... Advik) offers 50% for 12 months plus £30 credit. “However, the discount of 50% off, will be applied in next 48 hours.”

I accept. So I wait a few days, still nothing on my account. My current offer lapses in less than 31 days, which obviously concerns me because now I have to pay full price at the end of the month for however long it takes them to add the offer.

The next live chat (lets call her Vardaniya – giver of good fortune apparently in Indian mythology) sadly did not live up to her name, inviting me to “initiate cancellation chat to get the offer applied”. HELLO?!

The next two live chats (lets call them Yakshit and Darshit – yes these are real names, I no jest) come and go with the advice just to wait until it is processed.

The next live chat (I don’t care what theyre called by this point) informs me that “We will have to remove the current offer to apply your new offer. We need your permission to remove that.” "YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION YES YES YES! DO IT, DO IT NOOOOW!! If it doesn’t show in 48hrs time I will be cancelling completely."

The problem I’ve got now is that its now less than 31 days before current offer ends, meaning I am already paying full price now for the end of the cancellation period because my earlier request was cancelled without my knowledge. Witty response back: “But you also have £25 credit added on account.” !!! Err, yes, but thats not what that credit was for...

After threatening a formal complaint, he or she (idc) applied a further credit to cover the expense and ignominy of having to pay full price for the first time in a decade.

So after umpteen live chats, one discount and two credits later, I finally have what I consider a result. Can’t wait until next October......
  • mc_craddock
    mc_craddock Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 23 October 2017 at 6:05PM
    Doing my bit for the "community"...

I'm currently on Sky Boxset Bundle (w/o Q), Sky Cinema, Unlimited Broadband and PAYG Phone with line rental, paying about £46pm. The offer worked out at 60% off Sky TV, 50% off Broadband.

Contacted Sky Saturday 21st Oct due to this offer coming to an end very shortly.

Rang and spoke to a Retention Agent and simply explained that my current offer is due to come to an end and would like the same again to carry forward. After a bit of friendly chit chat, building a rapport he came back with 50% Sky TV (12 Month) and 50% Broadband plus Line Rental (18 Month), however he went on to advise that there would be a £10 Admin Fee applied to all offers which would be appear on my next bill.

Ignoring the admin fee, the new offer would see my monthly costs increase from £46pm to £52pm, which I wasn't overly pleased about. I asked what would happen if we lost Sky Cinema, because to be honest we never use it, then it would reduce to £42pm. So myself and the wife had some thinking to do and asked to be called back the next day.

We spent this time looking at both this forum thread and another on HotUKDeals which painted pretty much the same picture. From what I can tell, Sky seemed to of wised up to the whole, cancel and get a better offer gambit. Majority of posts seemed to indicate that people were getting worse offers after cancelling than they were when they initially "negotiated". Some even going as far as being cut-off and still not getting a better offer.

So after reading all the latest posts I think we'd pretty much made the decision not to gamble and to accept the offer on the table, as it was very close to what we were already receiving.

Anyway... Next day comes but no phone call is received so rang Sky and unfortunately spoke to a different Retention Agent. This could of been an issue as there was no time to build a rapport he simply wanted to know if we were going to accept the offer or not. Tried to push for an account credit with Christmas coming up but he laughed off my pathetic attempt and we agreed "it was worth a try".

So to summarise I think we got a good deal but chose not to push to cancellation, even though this technique had been successful the last 2 years. I think we may of got somewhere with an account credit if we'd spoken to the same agent both times but in the grand scheme of things we're still saving 50% over the next 12 months so can't complain too much.
  • We spent this time looking at both this forum thread and another on HotUKDeals which painted pretty much the same picture. From what I can tell, Sky seemed to of wised up to the whole, cancel and get a better offer gambit. Majority of posts seemed to indicate that people were getting worse offers after cancelling than they were when they initially "negotiated". Some even going as far as being cut-off and still not getting a better offer.

Not sure if this true, Sky have always been aware of this. Unless the number of people using it has increased due to sites like these Sky will always try to get the best deal for them.

Out of interest, since there is no 'Sky Bundles' package (there's three different 'bundles') which one are you on and is that ADSL unlimited you have?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback