Could a late/missed utility bill payment be an issue with a mortgage application?

I am looking to get a mortgage for a Shared Ownership property in the next 6 months and now I'm a little panicked as I remembered that I mistakenly a missed payment for a water bill in Feb this year. Basically Thames Water sends a bill twice a year and I paid my first bill on the phone last summer and then in Jan this year they send another bill and I went online and selected to pay by direct debit and signed up and assumed then it would just get taken by DD a few weeks later and it wasn't and therefore it was unpaid until I realised in March. As I have managed my credit perfectly for several years. How serious is one missed/late utility payment if everything else is 100% fine?

Comments

• DAWN08
    DAWN08 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Have you checked your credit report to see if it shows across all 3? Would advise to do so.

I know that Essex & Suffolk water does not report data to credit agencies (only my E-on energy account shows on any of my 3 credit reports, no other utility bills including water). Worth checking to see as if they dont report then nothing to worry about?
  • madvicker
    madvicker Posts: 157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    One missed payment more than 6 months ago, as long as it is the only missed payment in the last 3 years is generally not a problem. It's only a problem if it is within 6 months. So by the time you get to applying for the mortgage I wouldn't worry about it.
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    DAWN08 wrote: »
    Have you checked your credit report to see if it shows across all 3? Would advise to do so.

I know that Essex & Suffolk water does not report data to credit agencies (only my E-on energy account shows on any of my 3 credit reports, no other utility bills including water). Worth checking to see as if they dont report then nothing to worry about?
    I haven't checked all 3, at the moment, I generally just check the free versions, so Noddle (Credit call) and Clearscore (Equifax), haven't checked Equifax. As it stands it shows on Experian as a missed payment in Feb, but then all the rest of the months show as green/ok. Its not on the Creditcall report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure