IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Paying a CCJ (DCBL)

Options
I came across a CCJ that I had on my file whilst trying to obtain a mortgage. It was for an unapaid parking ticket issued by Excel parking. Having got in touch with the County Court Business Centre (CCBC) to pay the CCJ, I was passed on to Excel's solicitors who passed me back to Excel saying they were no longer dealing with this case. Excel gave me the details of DCBL.

DCBL have added an additional £100 (Administration and Recovery Fee) to the original CCJ amount of £231. I need to settle the CCJ as soon as possible but am reluctant to pay the additional fee. Does anybody know what my options would be in this case?

Thank you.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Read up on set aside in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum.

If you never knew anything about the claim till now you should be successful.

Then it's up to the PPC to decide whether to continue with a new claim which you can defend
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 10:53AM
    Options
    What precisely have DCBL done? £100 would be fair for a visit, but for sending a letter it may be a bit high. Did the PPC contact you before they involved the DBA, or did they write letters to a former address? I cannot but feel they they need a kicking her. I hope you are up for it.

Why do you wish to pay this rather than applying for a set aside? There are plenty of others here in your position, most go for set asides. There is also lots of similar cases on peppipoo, CAG, Legal Beagles and Paking cowboys.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • roberts777
    Options
    Thank you Quentin, having read up on the Newbie information setting the case aside seems like a logical option however I don't really have the time to process this and attend a private hearing which I believe would be in Nottingham (3 hour drive for me) and defend a new claim once issued. This plus a potential loss of earnings from a day off would not make it particularly worthwhile.

With regards to my original question about the Administration and Recovery Fee, would I be able to pay the CCJ to settle without the extra amount (£100)?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming there has not been any enforcement hearing over this then you can ignore DCBL.

Pay the claimant the amount stated on the CCJ

Enclose a receipt for them to sign and a SAE to return it to you so you have proof of payment should they not inform the court that you have paid (in which case you can do so yourself with the receiopt as proof)
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as I understand it, a paid CCJ remains on your credit fine for six years, while not as bad as an unsatisfied CCJ it will still be there non the less causing damage to your credit file.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its essetnailly as bad for any inmportant credit

Why on earth would you go to Nottingham? The set aside hearing would be at your local court.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If you think that the PPC have behaved unreasonably, have a look at unreasonable behaviour costs.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cpr-2714-2-g-what-constitutes-jake-burgess

Judges are reluctant to award these, but, imo, obtaining a CCJ by default can in certain cases, especially where you have moved house, set up a mail re-direct, and informed the DVLA in a timely manner, is unreasonable, and worth a punt.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • roberts777
    roberts777 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    What precisely have DCBL done? £100 would be fair for a visit, but for sending a letter it may be a bit high. Did the PPC contact you before they involved the DBA, or did they write letters to a former address? I cannot but feel they they need a kicking her. I hope you are up for it.

No, have not had a visit from DCBL. I did not receive any correspondence with regards to the CCJ from the PPC, I assume it all went to my previous address.
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Why do you wish to pay this rather than applying for a set aside? There are plenty of others here in your position, most go for set asides. There is also lots of similar cases on peppipoo, CAG, Legal Beagles and Paking cowboys.

The reason I am considering paying it over applying for a set aside is the potential time and money that would be involved, including taking an unpaid day to attend court. There is also the risk of me not winning and having to pay the £255 for the court date as well as the CCJ. Please correct any of these assumptions if they are incorrect.
  • roberts777
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Why on earth would you go to Nottingham?

I meant Northampton as that was the County Court Business Centre that issued the CCJ.
  • roberts777
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Assuming there has not been any enforcement hearing over this then you can ignore DCBL.

Pay the claimant the amount stated on the CCJ

Excel passed me on to DCBL last time I spoke to them, can I insist on paying them the original amount? What if they refuse?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure