I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A couple of good ideas there. I agree when you are so tight for money paying out £100 for birthday presents for friends seems crazy if you are having to watch your groceries spend. Trying to get to grips with budgeting over the next 4 or 5 months then reevaluating sounds sensible.

I would agree over the tap water too. We are staying at a fancy hotel over New Years with friends and a glass of wine is £9 !!!! We are refusing to drink more than one a night each on principle so water was drunk in abundance last night. A very healthy way to see in New Year apart from free prosecco at midnight. Meant I was up at 8 o clock this morning for a swim though :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi debtaghh and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

I think the present idea is a good one and it shows that you have already changed the way you think and are putting yourselves first.

What is it then
    Biscuit soup
    Biscuit casserole
    Biscuit pie
    :rotfl:

We have enough cheese to last us too maybe we can do a swap and have a cheese and biscuit party :D

Enjoy your meal tonight
    M

:rotfl: just read your list out to dh and he says biscuit pie sounds good.

Cheese and biscuit party sounds great!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    A couple of good ideas there. I agree when you are so tight for money paying out £100 for birthday presents for friends seems crazy if you are having to watch your groceries spend. Trying to get to grips with budgeting over the next 4 or 5 months then reevaluating sounds sensible.

I would agree over the tap water too. We are staying at a fancy hotel over New Years with friends and a glass of wine is £9 !!!! We are refusing to drink more than one a night each on principle so water was drunk in abundance last night. A very healthy way to see in New Year apart from free prosecco at midnight. Meant I was up at 8 o clock this morning for a swim though :)

Well done on the 8 o clock swim!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a really good saving on the presents, chances are they thought the same as you but didn't want to be the first ones to bring it up.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I had a nsd yesterday as I stuck to the tap water. Dh has gone back to work today and I was meant to be going out with a friend but I’ve pretty much cancelled it as I feel exhausted and have a sore throat plus I don’t want the temptation of buying something!

I do need to catch up on some jobs :

Check finances
    Hoover
    Washing
    Take down bday decorations and Xmas cards.
    Clean glass doors
    Check ds sch bag is ready for tomorrow.

Have a lovely frugal day everyone x
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Just after some advice. I’m thinking of sending a message out to ppl saying I can’t do Xmas presents next year ( I’m not that close to some of these ppl) do ppl think that’s ok? I was thinking of sending it now as I know certain ppl buy the kids presents now in the sales.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Just after some advice. I’m thinking of sending a message out to ppl saying I can’t do Xmas presents next year ( I’m not that close to some of these ppl) do ppl think that’s ok? I was thinking of sending it now as I know certain ppl buy the kids presents now in the sales.

I did this 2-3 years ago, I thought to myself if I could afford X amount on gifts I'd rather be spending it on my own, or at least those who I am really close too! and being honest I couldn't afford it :o

It was funny really because everyone agreed to not give gifts but no one felt they could bring it up. We now send homemade cards the smalls have made.

I just said something along the lines of how the amount of people was growing so maybe we shouldn't buy gifts but if the time was right we'd have a meet up at one of our houses. x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »

We buy for nephew and nieces kids and ours and parents.

There is nothing we really want and as such we went out for a family meal instead this year.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I sent it and some ppl have been funny about it :(

Oh well it’s to help our future!
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If people are funny about it speaks volumes about them not you!

Don't let it upset you x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback