BT mobile still paying £5

Options
Hello! So we had Bt internet and i decided to move my mobile contract to them and only pay £5pm, nearly half what O2 were offering me. After just over a year we moved our broadband from BT to Sky, when i rang BT they made me aware i would lose my £5 discount for my mobile and have to pay £10pm and i said thats fine as i planned to move it again anyway. Life got in the way and when i finally came round to sorting my mobile contract out i noticed i am still paying £5pm! I was going to move but want to keep the same number and im now worried if i contact them or end my contract they will realise and i will have to pay them what i owe? Its been just over a year now so would be a lot of money! Any advice? Can they make me pay?
Thanks in advance! :beer:

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sure it wasn't an 18 month contract? That may be why it's still only £5pm.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But the OP is no longer with BT .
    Do not BT say leave us and you lose the discount as per OP post .
  • Starnight
    Options
    The contract has ran out now but they did say as soon as i stop broadband i will have to pay the £10pm even if still in contract.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose they could notice anyway and add the under payment onto your bill, or it could go on unnoticed, TBH £5 isn’t much so where are you going that can top that ?
    I don’t think anyone can really advise you on this, port your number to another provider and BT may notice the underpayment and back date the charge ( there isn’t a statute of limitations) or they may just produce a final bill based on the lower charge it’s not something that can be accurately predicted, and even if someone was in the same position and ‘won’ there isn’t a guarantee that you will too......as Dirty Harry may say , you have to ask yourself the question, do ya feel lucky ? Well do ya, punk ?
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    <<The contract has [STRIKE]ran out[/STRIKE] now>>

The contract has reached the end of it's minimum term now and I know that I will have to give them 30 days notice

That's what you really meant. :D
  • Starnight
    Options
    I was going to move it because i thought ot would be going to £10pm! Im thinking if i just cancel it and dont ask for a PUk no to keep my number i have a better chance??
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask for the puk , it's an automated system .

Billing is seperate and it's unlikely that they notice the £5 mistake.

It's not unusual for them to make billing mistakes like this
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    How did you leave your broadband contract with BT? If it was due to a price rise, i’m pretty sure I was told that the price would remain at £5 because I was leaving due to a price rise. Maybe it would have been considered a penalty otherwise?

Interestingly, BT contacted me last month asking me to recommit to my £5 a month contract for 12 months but with double the data, even though I haven’t been a broadband customer of theirs for over a year...
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think the OP is torn between wanting to only pay £5 p/m but leaving it longer & longer to tell BT and potentially be hit with a bigger 'fine' by BT

To me, choices are - 1-stay with BT and worry every month that they'll find out and back date the charge, 2-request a PAC, move to another supplier and hope they don't bill you, or, 3- call BT, confess and see what they say.... all carry risk/reward potential!
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    This also happened to me. I left BT for PN but left my phone with BT expecting it to go back to £10 and it didn't. That was 3 years ago now. In that time I have contacted them and renegotiated my contract to a 5gb limit for £8 per month which is now on a rolling monthly contract. I still can't find anyone to beat it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure