PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Why all breads are so sweet?

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    How does the customer pay extra for air? Loaves are sold by weight.

Supermarket psychology.

Brits do not consistently compare products by stated weight or edible volume. We see a large/ small/ medium 'whatever' and grab it, or we see X meals worth based on the manufacturer's portion size.

How much 'shrinkflation' do manufacturers get away with by tweaking the packaging or shape of the product? Toblerone, crisps.

Commercial ice cream is pumped full of air. As are many breakfast cereals. Froth on coffee. What they cannot add air to they add water to: more ice cubes than soft drink, bacon, chicken breasts ....

MSE regulars are arguably more savvy than average, but most of us are fooled by something. If we check weight/ volume/ additives/ price (I do) we miss other key information. A yellow or orange sticker and I slacken my basic animal welfare principles. :o Or I half-clock a welfare 'symbol' but fail to read the small print. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    All your post has done is put me off "artisan" breads.

I think that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Continue to buy what you want, whether for taste or filling up your tum, but don't blame artisan breads for the crapness of the Chorleywood process.

I'll continue to make my own, and if the occasional loaf comes out a bit brick like it always makes cracking toast! I made a couple of ciabattas on Friday and with a little help they've both disappeared. I made the starter the night before, and the longer fermentation helps both the taste and the digestibility. Not much extra work which is mostly done by the yeast whilst I do other things.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    totallyy agree, home made bread is so much better for you then the supermarket breads

If I eat two slices of white, toasted, for breakfast my dressing gown belt will be cutting into me before I get back up the stairs

It doesnt happen with HM bread
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    totallyy agree, home made bread is so much better for you then the supermarket breads

If I eat two slices of white, toasted, for breakfast my dressing gown belt will be cutting into me before I get back up the stairs

It doesnt happen with HM bread

Exactly the same with me.

Most shop made bread gives me stomach ache and can make me look like a pregnant hippo.

Never happens with homemade bread.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    It's confirmed: Marks & Spencer breads are all horrible
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Noooo...!

The date and walnut is so delicious, I could eat a whole boule at a time!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 June 2019 at 7:16AM
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »

:eek: Have you honestly tried ALL the varieties of M&S breads ?

Their Olive bread is to die for
    Their sourdough is lovely
    Their stone baked seeded bread is amazing
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does the OP live in the USA? If you think UK breads are sweet you should eat theirs! I remember going round the supermarket trying to find bread without added sugar, took ages! I can't taste any sweetness in the main loaves in the UK, I know there's some sugar in it, but I can't personally taste it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Does the OP live in the USA? If you think UK breads are sweet you should eat theirs! I remember going round the supermarket trying to find bread without added sugar, took ages! I can't taste any sweetness in the main loaves in the UK, I know there's some sugar in it, but I can't personally taste it.
    Agreed, it's not good.

Food in the US is either amazing or astonishingly bad.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lots of good bread out there, which personally I don't find sweet at all.

I'd recommend:

- Lidl ISB Sourdough Boule and Low GI Rolls.
    - Morrisons ISB Walnut & Sunflower

For sliced bread, I really like Aldi Small Sliced "Fully Loaded" seeded white.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure