PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Why all breads are so sweet?

Most breads I take from the supermarkets are ridiculously sweet. I usually take the wholemeal but pretty much everything seems extremely sweet almost like cake.

Is there any brand that the bread is actually not sweet?

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Homemade is good. I generally make my own now as I too found ordinary shop-bought wasn't very nice, rather "claggy" and tasteless. I do though occasionally buy the Hovis Seed Sensations.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,895 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2019 at 8:00AM
    Another vote for homemade or try your local baker.

When you say you take bread from the supermarket, I assume you mean that you buy it
    :-)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Most breads I take from the supermarkets are ridiculously sweet. I usually take the wholemeal but pretty much everything seems extremely sweet almost like cake.
    I ate some brioche the other day think it was a normal white roll (that in itself would be rare occurrence) and it was delicious :)
    Generally anything super-seedy is ok, albeit loaded with hidden salt.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Another vote for homemade or try your local baker.

When you say you take bread from the supermarket, I assume you mean that you buy it
    :-)

Local bakers are like rocking horse doo doo.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,895 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Local bakers are like rocking horse doo doo.

We have 3 local to me.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2019 at 10:16AM

Because modern/ commercial/ factory bread proves for a short time compared to traditional/ homemade bread. Extra sugar and extra gluten ('strong') are needed to speed the process up. Saves them time = money, plus makes a larger softer loaf .... and the customer pays for extra air.

A longer prove means the yeast consume all the starter sugar and get to work on the flour. Could try wholemeal flatbreads, or sourdough from a small bakery, or homemade bread with many of the MSE 'Old Style' regulars.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Because modern/ commercial/ factory bread proves for a short time compared to traditional/ homemade bread. Extra sugar and extra gluten ('strong') are needed to speed the process up. Saves them time = money, plus makes a larger softer loaf .... and the customer pays for extra air.

A longer prove means the yeast consume all the starter sugar and get to work on the flour. Could try wholemeal flatbreads, or sourdough from a small bakery, or homemade bread with many of the MSE 'Old Style' regulars.

HTH! :)

How does the customer pay extra for air? Loaves are sold by weight.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,212 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    z1a wrote: »
    How does the customer pay extra for air? Loaves are sold by weight.
    Do keep up, the law changed in 2008, there is not any requirement to sell or conform by weight.
    Any thing goes, and if you can make loaf shaped lump of 90% air that is lawful to sell
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »
    Do keep up, the law changed in 2008, there is not any requirement to sell or conform by weight.
    Any thing goes, and if you can make loaf shaped lump of 90% air that is lawful to sell

Didn't realise that had changed. I sit corrected.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Farway wrote: »
    Even so, most commercial loaves found on supermarket shelves are still sold in standard sizes: either 800g or 400g and as a consumer who buys YS bread when I see it, I certainly do not feel that I am being hoodwinked.

All your post has done is put me off "artisan" breads.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure