Supanet scam on Unsavey Computer Person

My brother in law had a new TV installed Was advised to get Sky , as an internet provider because of very poor reception with TalkTalk

He rang what he thought was a Sky number and was put through to Supanet, who, he thought must a Sky subsidiary having rung their number in first place.

He ordered a router and joined up by telephone

He connected up but it failed to work effectively so Sky installer was called

It was then he was told the equipment wasn't theirs

He immediately cancelled order with Supanet as it was not fit for purpose

The next day the company sent him a text with termination fee of 580 pounds and threatened bailiff if bill wasn't paid immediately

They also cut of internet even though he had paid first month and month isn't up until Dec
He was just over 14 days cooling off period What can he do Company arnt prepared to bend

Comments

• Absolutely nothing if he's beyond the cooling off period which he seems to be, he signed up to Supanet and agreed to the contract.

Try Resolver, although I doubt there's anything they can do.

BTW, it's not a scam.
  • Surely its deceitful to ring a Sky number and end up speaking to a different company
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you sure it was a Sky number? I'd lay a pound to a penny he got the number from a search engine or advert rather than a reliable source - and I don't usually gamble.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    He rang what he thought was a Sky number.

What number where did he get it from ??

Was the equipment and paperwork labelled SKY ??
  • Jennywren3 wrote: »
    Surely its deceitful to ring a Sky number and end up speaking to a different company

Except he obviously didn't ring a Sky number and I'm fairly confident Supanet didn't answer the phone with a cheerful 'Welcome to Sky' message.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Unlikely to get any better connection from Sky over TT.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    How is it a scam? He called what he thought was Sky, except they didn't answer as Sky, but he carried on anyway? Then cancelled outside the cooling off period and doesn't expect to have to fulfil the contract?
    If he is non-savvy like you suggest, could you help in future dealings of this nature?
    Try calling Supanet to see if they'll re-instate the package - at least he'll get internet back on. .If TT was poor and Supanet didn't work, then here's a technical or 'user' fault - swapping again won't sort it out
  • Thanks for your replies

The Bailiffs have called requiring £556 a sum of money I dont know how Supanet can justify that sum of money nothing mentioned in contract

Bailiffs have put case on hold until a result is received from OMBUDSMAN
    Supanet does not work with the televisions installed as they fitted with Sky Q and the signal is not strong enough to power their computer and mobile phones

They were previously with Talktalk and they would have stayed with them but they were told by TV installer only SKY would suit their needs

Supanet are now refusing to give SKY their landline number they have had 40 years Can they legally do that
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jennywren3 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies

The Bailiffs have called requiring £556 a sum of money I dont know how Supanet can justify that sum of money nothing mentioned in contract
    That sounds they signed up for a 24 month minimum term contract and that money is the total value of the contract left - monthly payment multiplied by number of months left.

If you exit the contract of any ISP before the minimum term is up you owe them the total value of the minimum term payments you have yet to make.

What do you mean by poor reception? Poor internet speeds or poor wi-fi? No ISP will guarantee wi-fi connections as that is heavily dependant on the construction and layout of the user's property.
  • Yes its the position and house I think that's the problem Just found details from OFCOM on Number Portability which says "customers are entitled to keep their telephone numbers regardless who they choose as their service supplier"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure