PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, a spend of £10.08 in home bargains today on 4x wet wipes, 2x toothpaste, conditioner and biscuits so should last til march (well the biscuits have been eaten already) and a £32.58 spend at morrisons.

Total for the month £72.35/£400

Sarah x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...hope everyone is safe and warm i have the double sc on making a chilli and spag bol that will be teas on monday and tuesday

need to do a shopping list and meal plan for next week....oh and use some of my many christmas bargains

take care tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Mrs-s_4
    Mrs-s_4 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, not had chance to update, had NSDsThursday and Friday. Today small spend of £2.55 on bread and a bottle of pepsi max for DH. About to meal plan and put in mr T order for Wednesday.
    January Grocery challenge - £165.31/£350
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD today. We have just had a lovely fake away curry, rice and chips. All homemade using stuff from the freezer and cupboards. I am stuffed now.

I have defrosted some pork steaks for when we get back from our long walk tomorrow and will have with mini potatoes roasted and veg. DH has requested a pudding too:eek: I have a tin of sliced apples I will turn in to an apple crumble. I best not tell DS (3) that we are having this or he won't eat his dinner as it is his favourite.

I also need to make soup, cake and rice salad tomorrow night for next weeks lunches. It's going to be a busy night in the kitchen!
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    I'm determined to do well this month :) I've done an inventory of everything we have and I'm using it up. I underspend last week and I'm on track to do it again. Spent £18 in Tesco on fresh salad, yoghurt, sandwich meat, frozen veg, fruit, cheese triangles and orange juice.

Dinner tonight was simple but yummy. I made chicken fried rice using up leftover roast chicken. The recipe I used said one cup of rice, next time I'll cut it to half. This was before I plated up.

1491683_10203268635461848_987959862_n.jpg
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • cashsaver
    cashsaver Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Big spend (lol) of £1.03 in Tesco today for my lunch........ decided not to spend a fiver at the rugby club on food so popped into Mr T .....should have planned it better and brought my packed lunch from home ...... bit cheeky I suppose. (I did eat my lunch in the car I have to say to avoid embarrassment!

Good luck everyone..... I'm using up Christmas freezer bits and bobs at the mo but am dreading my next food shop!
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Was hoping for a nsd today but myself and dh nipped into mr T's on the way home from Dover, we spent £8.72
    we got half a wheel of stillton reduced to £1 plus a few boxes of chocolates that were reduced, thought they'd be ideal for easter.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Have had to add £29.90 to my shopping bill as forgot that we went out to eat whilst in London on NYD - signature updated. Gutted.

However, have just fed 5 people a fabulous meal (according to everyone) on mainly stocks. The only thing I needed to go and buy was a cabbage and onion to make the coleslaw. It was lush.

Had a bag of value chicken portions, rubbed them over with some of those Maggi parchment paper and left them in the fridge with them on. I put them inside Maggi bags. Did half of them garlic chicken and the other half was italian herb chicken. Then I baked them in the oven with the parchment on and they were gorgeous. Made HM ciabatta bread in bmaker/oven then toasted in and we had pesto and left over salsa (from a fajita kit) lurking at the back of the cupboard. I made HM coleslaw (cabbage, carrot, onion and mayo) which was gorgeous, chips and I made spicy rice. It was absolutely delicious.

For afters they had caramello icecream layered with melted caramel and a few melted roses mixed with some chocolate sprad, crushed xmas shortbread (xmas tree shaped), chopped banana and whipped cream. I put a shortbread xmas tree shortbread on as decoration as I was feeling all masterchef by this point. All from cupboards. Am so chuffed with myself. Everyone was full and happy. So was I as I didn't go out and spend a fortune.

Also made some pizza dough for tomorrow's lunch (with leftover coleslaw / baked potatoes) and have got some frozen mash out and mince to make shepherds pies for the girls teas on Monday. Also got 2 lots of frozen blackcurrants out to make some jam as am almost out. I am on one - will probably collapse in a heap very soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another NSD yesterday, that's 4 in a row, unheard of in this household.
    tonight is cottage pie, with apple crumble to follow.
    Supposed to be mid summer here, but is raining and very windy again!
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    Shame I only found this thread now - need to control our costs this year as my hours are now half what they were for health reasons and the mortgage takes 4/5ths of my wage monthly :eek:

If I'm not too late I'd like to say we'll try for £20 a week for 2 adults and a hungry cat - but if possible I'd like to ride out the month with the £25.43 I have on a Sains gift card and the £10 on my Kalixa prepay card. Fortunately the cat has lots of food from Xmas left, fussy madam.

Oh - and we are also Gluten/Wheat-Free!

Defrosting chicken thighs for tomorrow, have some red peppers and remainder of onions which have hopefully not gone too manky, and some stewed apple as well which will be mine with greek yog/honey. Himself can finish off the ice cream in the freezer if he is hungry. :D
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure