Electrician Quote

Hi,

Any sparkies about?

I had an electrical safety check done. It failed with a C2 level failure because the 30ma RCD failed to trip in the consumer unit. I've already paid for this initial visit/check.

What is a reasonable quote for the same electrician to replace a 30 ma RCD in the consumer unit and pass the electrical check? I assume what it involves is, pulling out the faulty RCD module, putting in the new one, and he won't test the whole property again, just the RCD. Sound right?

Norfolk area.

Thanks

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What has he quoted you?
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • OneAimMan
    OneAimMan Posts: 23 Forumite
    Paid £100 for initial test. Quoted £180 + vat.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    £30 ish for the RCD, and 10 mins to fit it max. Short test. How can that possibly be £180? Unless travel time is huge?

I'd get another quote. You can explain exactly what you want over the phone. You'll need to tell the electrician the amperage on the RCD, or just send him a photo of the defective one.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    These electrical tests are a catchpenny. (Get in your house for a cheap price and break something or create a problem that will give a good profit to rectify.)

Your electrician knows it will only cost a few pounds to replace the RCD. However, if you call someone else, the new electrician will have to do the tests again, as 'he cannot rely on someone else's work'. (Sarcastic voice between quotes.)

Therefore he knows you might as well pay him the same amount as you would pay someone else.
  • GDB2222
    Why will the tests have to be redone?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Why will the tests have to be redone?

I think I said, didn't I?
  • OneAimMan
    OneAimMan Posts: 23 Forumite
    I thought the same when I looked at the price of an RCD unit online. Even if you take into account time to replace and retest. He's based on the same area.

I'll call up another see how much for a full test and possibly replacing the RCD if he too finds it faulty. As you said jk0, I think no sparkie will sign off a previous electrician's tests.

Thanks for replies.
  • GDB2222
    Why do you need a signed off test? That's my question. You have a fail certificate, showing the remedial work needed. Then you have a receipt for getting the faulty part replaced. Do you then need a pass certificate as well? That's why I asked the question. If it's just for your personal reassurance, it seems OTT to get the whole test redone. If it's for a mortgage application, I'd ask the mortgage company.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have well underpaid for a periodic inspection. My minimum charge for those is £200 - not £100.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard wrote: »
    You have well underpaid for a periodic inspection. My minimum charge for those is £200 - not £100.

Probably why he didn't bother hiring you then! Didn't pay extra for the self righteous attitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure