PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• When I went to SM found huge bag of mushrooms and another of bananas as well as a cauliflower in reduced section so have made some roast cauliflower (in freezer), dried mushrooms (in a jar) chopped up bananas for brekkies(freezer) whole bananas for this week brekkies(fridge) and potential banana curry for freezer. Cauliflower curries (freezer), mushroom and chicken curry currently in SC so about 4 portions for freezer and some retained for lunches etc this week. When SC is free I have a couple of chicken thighs sitting in bag with piri piri seasoning, one for tonight, the other for freezer but always cook 2 at a time. There was also green veggies reduced so they are in fridge to go with meals this week and potatoes. Would love to cook and mash potatoes but am expecting a food delivery Wednesday so am trying to make sure I have enough room for 2 packs chciken and 1 pack of mince which will be split up before freezing. I also bought 2 packs of cheese (1/2 price) so have spent morning grating, again for freezer. Done all the cooking etc whilst watching last episode of Game of Thrones !!!!!!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

Goodness whm you've been busy, I wish my day had been half as productive.:cool: Apart from watering the plants no gardening has been done as annoyingly neither my back nor balance were entertaining anything even remotely bendy! Decided to listen to my body and not to push so spent most of the afternoon reading or pottering about. I did get the sourdough loaf prepped and it's now in the fridge for it's overnight think. My salad for lunch was lovely but rather large so a smallish meal for me tonight, cba cooking very much, I will have a freezer/fridge/cupboard rake and see what I come up with.

Kids arrive tomorrow assuming they get off of Scaffel Pike:eek:, I probably won't be about much until Monday. I'm looking forward to not being CFO for a few days and hopefully sharing some of the cooking/clearing up:D.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You have had a busy day WHMF I've never tried banana curry, not sure about it, but I'll try anything once :)

Wise move listening to your body Caronc, you don't want to be ill with your visitors :)

I had a Monday moment and forgot to take my tablets this morning, I remembered half way to work :cool:, not an issue with the thyroid ones as one missed day isn't going to hurt but I did some gardening when I got home from work and regretted not taking the hayfever one :cool: I spent a couple of hours tackling the brambles and weeds coming in from next door's jungle. I'll be glad when the new owners take over but I'm assuming indoors will take priority. A little bit of rain and the weeds have gone mad, I should have done it yesterday between the drizzling :cool: I won't be able to do any the next couple of nights but hope to fill the garden rubbish bin to put out Friday

Lunch was HM chicken noodle soup followed by fruit. Dinner was slightly different than planned due to the gardening I had planned on salad nicoise but cba to cook new potatoes or french beans so had a tuna and egg salad instead, I did coat the tuna with black sesame seeds and opened a tin of olives :p still very nice :D

Have a good week with the kids Caronc, some tasty Greek cooking I hope :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    some tasty Greek cooking I hope :D
    So do I;):D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Back again, MIA yesterday, a friend came round & mowed my grass for me, plus tidied the edges, looks a lot better now

I also went to Morries yesterday morning, trial run first day out since my op, went OK, Morries is not far and plenty of parking & not too crowded on a Monday AM

Found last night's YS dinner of MFO Cumberland pie there. It was tasty and the right size for one, I just had it alone, no veg
    OH, nearly forgot, pack of 5 warm jam doughnuts also fell in my trolley, and subsequently into my gob:o Pie & doughnuts, CFO epitomised :D

Sunny morning, porridge breakfast & new batch of yoghurt made
    Lunch, no idea
    Dinner, likewise but I have designs on frozen beef dinner in a Yorkie for one, but still got stale bread so maybe toast + beans? Dunno depends how it pans out
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Need to get some soil in an area to plant out some seedling but not strong enough but DGS says he will pop round late in week so hopefully I will be able to put courgette plants and couple of garlic plants into an area earmarked for them, looking for stuff to put round to keep slugs away, have some egg shells, banana peels cut up for a composty thing, wondered about broken cd's, bet they would not like to crawl over them. All yesterdays meals rammed into freezers, the cooking bacon I got out turned out to be chicken breasts so have just looked up recipe for crumbing them tonight so thats next 2 days dinners sorted. Think I have a recipe sorted for banana curry as I have half a dozen still in peel in fridge and although I would have 1 per day in porridge, just thought I would look for something else and best not to do muffins (should not eat cakes) or banana bread (not keen) and maybe will do a smoothie over next couple of days.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    I only had fresh fruit and nuts for breakfast so I'm hungry now.

I'm making a veggie burger with a big salad for lunch.:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Lunch was a marmalade sarnie, at least both the bread & the marmalade were HM so sort of virtuous if you squint a bit:)

Dinner, thinking cheesy beans on stale bread toast now, could pop a couple of fried eggs on top, and for balance add a fresh tomato
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    looking for stuff to put round to keep slugs away, have some egg shells, banana peels cut up for a composty thing, wondered about broken cd's, bet they would not like to crawl over them.

Trouble is the broken CDs will be there for eternity, hard plastic,maybe glass like for some unsuspecting gardener in years to come
    I use slug pellets but I know not everyone's choice, too cold yet for nematodes to be any use
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Brambling wrote: »
    Not guilty your honour :naughty: i haven't had Chinese for ages :D

Hmmmm. :search:

You do indeed appear to be innocent; Wednesday2000, Caronc and PasturesNew are the guilty parties. The evidence clearly shows them discussing fritters and Chinese takeaways about five weeks ago. :mad:
    It annoys me that you can do it accidentally, while I've been trying to will myself to do just that for about 4-5 weeks. I just can't quite get there.... I think of it, want it, dream of it, then always justify to myself why I should be eating what I've already got.

I have Chinese envy now.

If it helps I can report that my Friday night Chinese takeaway was unsatisfying. Sesame prawn toast was nice, the 'seaweed' had far too much sugar on, and the fritters were undercooked and soggy. :( Did not eat the fritters until Saturday, only after further cooking in the oven and covering them in cinnamon sugar.
    Chinese fail.

Having found a great Chinese takeaway (except they do rubbish egg fried rice and noodles) .... and having thought about it for weeks ... and having decided and worked up to it, I phoned them. Answerphone: closed from 7 May to 21 May.

Bummer

I really fancy Chinese S/S sauce though, you can't buy that in a jar that tastes anything like a takeaway does it.

Some of the supermarket canned sweet and sour chicken are decent, way cheaper than a takeaway, and even less effort than a jar sauce. I invariably adulterate it to my taste (add red chilli and vinegar).

I also have supermarket Chinese crispy duck in the freezer, which is very tasty and much cheaper than a takeaway. :T
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    The receptionist at the GP said yesterday that I have a folic acid deficiency. I'm not sure if that means I have pernicious anaemia or not, I have to ask my GP when I see him this week.

They said my prescription was ready to pick up and it wasn't even there. Last time they couldn't find my thyroid prescription as they put it under male instead of female. Useless!:mad:

I was thinking about trying Pharmacy4U? Has anyone on here used them? They deliver it to your door, apparently.
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Hmmmm. :search:

You do indeed appear to be innocent; Wednesday2000, Caronc and PasturesNew are the guilty parties. The evidence clearly shows them discussing fritters and Chinese takeaways about five weeks ago. :mad:

:D I still fancy a banana fritter from the Chinese place in Brixton back in the 1980s.

It's annoying as I couldn't even eat one as they aren't vegan as they have eggs in, I think.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback