Life insurance with cancer diagnosis

Hi all

We have found ourselves in a bit of a potential mess and although I suspect there is little we can do, I thought it worth an ask.

Last year hubby was back and forwards to the docs with a variety of symptoms and was under medical investigations in July, when our 10 year joint life insurance policy came to an end. This meant (I assumed) that we could not reapply until he had a clean bill of health as anything that resulted from the tests would not be covered under the terms of the policy.

Unfortunately in September they discovered a mass in his left frontal lobe and he was finally diagnosed with PCNSL - a type of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma that was present in his brain. Since then he has had three cycles of chemo and a stem cell transplant and we are hoping and praying that his MRI this weekend will show no presence of the disease and he will be officially in remission.

I have renewed life insurance for me and I also have quite a generous death in service policy through work so if I drop off this mortal coil, he will be fine but he has neither so it would be tough financially should the worst happen and he is feeling very guilty.

Obviously we are both hoping that he comes through this and when he is three years post treatment we can take out a new policy but should anything happen in the meantime, is there a policy that would consider giving cover? We ideally would like £100k cover but anything would be better than nothing.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How old is he? Just wondering if he’ll qualify for one of those no questions asked over 50s plans you see on the TV.

Does he have a pension fund that you would inherit? And have you included lump sums/spouses pensions in your planning/calculations?
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    How old is he? Just wondering if he’ll qualify for one of those no questions asked over 50s plans you see on the TV.

Does he have a pension fund that you would inherit? And have you included lump sums/spouses pensions in your planning/calculations?

He does have a pension fund, which is good, worth about £220k. He would be eligible for an over 50's plan but some advice I've seen on here is that they are not worth paying into, although I an open to be persuaded otherwise.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This sort of thing (an example not a recommendation) are poor value for most people but it might be just the thing for your situation.
    I would check over the ts&cs to make sure but it says guaranteed and no health questions.

Do you have a need for life insurance?
    E.g. are you saying you couldn’t manage by yourself with his pension benefits and your own resources?
    Just checking as you don’t have to have life insurance if you don’t need it.

https://www.britishseniors.co.uk/over-50-life-insurance/campaign/gen/quote/?rc=BSGG-1055&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o2pWUYjTgId3ZajUh_aVveZ6160Q-NVgyIvC-J7yLfExqAUFOO7JZ8aAtOvEALw_wcB
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    This sort of thing (an example not a recommendation) are poor value for most people but it might be just the thing for your situation.
    I would check over the ts&cs to make sure but it says guaranteed and no health questions.

Do you have a need for life insurance?
    E.g. are you saying you couldn’t manage by yourself with his pension benefits and your own resources?
    Just checking as you don’t have to have life insurance if you don’t need it.

https://www.britishseniors.co.uk/over-50-life-insurance/campaign/gen/quote/?rc=BSGG-1055&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o2pWUYjTgId3ZajUh_aVveZ6160Q-NVgyIvC-J7yLfExqAUFOO7JZ8aAtOvEALw_wcB

He's just stressing and I said I would investigate! Realistically if the pension paid out (would need to check if I'd get as a lump sum) I'd be ok as I would carry on working but some additional financial back up would be useful.

Obviously, our preferred situation would be to not have to claim!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure