MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers could face losing their cash if they have unfulfilled orders with stores such as Moben, after the owners filed for administration."

Comments

• regprentice
    regprentice Posts: 685 Forumite
    Was in habitat at the weekend and even in the closing sale couldn't find anything i considered remotely 'cheap'.

Always nice stuff, but one of the items I looked at was a £400 3 shelf bookshelf in plastic?!?! :eek: Childrens deckchair for £40?!?!?! :eek: i would imagine a trip to IKEA would get similar items for 1/4 the price.

Jane Norman is the same - a shop my wife loves looking in but never buys.

For the most part these companies fall into the 'nice but not essential' bracket and unless they can 'rebrand' in the way companies like M&S have done reasonably successfully (to compete with cheaper shops such as primark/matalan) then their time has come.
  • kind
    kind Posts: 5 Forumite
    I bought a skirt from Jane Norman in Debenhams last week and want to return it, not sure what my chances of a refund are. Hope my contract is with Debenhams as I can't afford to lose £45.00
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    For the most part these companies fall into the 'nice but not essential' bracket and unless they can 'rebrand' in the way companies like M&S have done reasonably successfully (to compete with cheaper shops such as primark/matalan) then their time has come.

But look at the flip side to what your saying - TJ Hughes a discount retailer is also going to ask the administrators in too because they bought tat they couldnt sell cheap..
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry to say my OH works (worked ?) for TJs.

Ho Hum. It has to be said that this outcome was not entirely a surprise, though, and we had made contingency plans.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • mummyplus3
    mummyplus3 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job Consumerist, Hope he finds something else very soon!

It is a sorry state of affairs of late! I do wonder if we will eventually become monopolised to the major supermarkets who will just retail everything under their branding?! eek!
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mummyplus3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job Consumerist, Hope he finds something else very soon!

It is a sorry state of affairs of late! I do wonder if we will eventually become monopolised to the major supermarkets who will just retail everything under their branding?! eek!

Even the supermarkets have been struggling to sell the sort of items sold in Tj Hughes, the amount of stock currently sat in warehouses with hardly any chance of selling instore is shocking.
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    mummyplus3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you OH will lose his job . . .
    Thanks for that.

Truth is, we think this is just the start of a long road of misery for this country. We just need to hunker down and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Er... we're not really suicidal but just realistic!
  • geordieracer
    Thanks for that.

Truth is, we think this is just the start of a long road of misery for this country. We just need to hunker down and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Er... we're not really suicidal but just realistic!

Its been like it for a while to be fair. But things like shops closing and such like dont happen over night - it builds up to that point over a year or two through less people shopping there and thus less money to pay bills and so on and so forth.

Trouble is that there are shops that are flourishing too so it kind of balances out imo
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    Its been like it for a while to be fair. But things like shops closing and such like dont happen over night - it builds up to that point over a year or two through less people shopping there and thus less money to pay bills and so on and so forth.

Trouble is that there are shops that are flourishing too so it kind of balances out imo
    Quite agree. But recent news headlines are really bringing the message home.

Without getting too political, the Tories are not averse to a dose of unemployment within the working classes but I don't think they quite expected businesses to go bust all over the place. I do agree, however, that it's the weak businesses who will go to the wall and in the long run the strong will provide the jobs of the future.

The irony is that now the consumer is, at last, doing the right thing by paying off debt and saving, it's going to lead to another recession if we're not careful. :(
  • geordieracer
    Actually unemployment is down under this government http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12 and it started just before they got in and a little rise and its falling again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport