<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MrsChaos wrote: »
    Thank you. I'll have a look, but will also check what's available in the Body Shop - £5 voucher to be used by tomorrow.
    I really like their pumice foot scrub, must dig that out and do something about my delightful feet too. What I really want to do is to book a spa day with full body scrub and pedicure. Meh! Stupid dentists bill.

As part of my freezer tidy I found a few bags of generic 'value' type white fish. I sometimes use this to bulk out a fish curry but fancied trying something else. This recipe seemed like a good starting point and as always it got adapted to what we have available. I added red and yellow peppers and baby plum tomatoes to the crushed potato base as that went into the oven. For the topping I used the inevitable chipotle chilli flakes, smoked paprika and half a raw red pepper to flavour the oil/vinegar/garlic base which got whizzed in the little blender. The fish was still slightly frozen when it went in the oven which made it easy to spread the sauce on. I checked after 20 minutes and it was piping hot in the middle. I served it with some butter soaked thinly sliced saute leeks to make sure we got enough veg in. A hit for me and him, a miss for the boys who don't like fish.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh no - I’ve just had my diet soup and crackers - now I’ve read about your fish! And on the TV Mary Berry is making Scottish Cranachan!

I’m starving now!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Sorry seaside- it was at least a healthy meal rather something dripping in cheese.

Last day off for the boys today so they need to actually get up. Vague plan to go to local small town cinema to see the star wars film. £12 for the three of us so not too bad I suppose.
  • MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got the film on my wish list as well, but can't seem to get my act together. It would be £11 for me and DS2, so you're definitely getting a good deal.

Going to work in a bit for a quick classroom clean and tidy (and hopefully coffee with a friend).

The recipe might work for us, as we all like fish. Although OH was asking straight away why the potatoes have to be crushed, as he couldn't see the point. He's not fond of potatoes done in the oven, other than proper roast potatoes.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    MrsChaos wrote: »
    I've got the film on my wish list as well, but can't seem to get my act together. It would be £11 for me and DS2, so you're definitely getting a good deal.

Going to work in a bit for a quick classroom clean and tidy (and hopefully coffee with a friend).

The recipe might work for us, as we all like fish. Although OH was asking straight away why the potatoes have to be crushed, as he couldn't see the point. He's not fond of potatoes done in the oven, other than proper roast potatoes.

They cook faster crushed, they were like roast potatoes but all crispy edges - my favourite. I used normal maris pipers cut into large cubes rather than skin on new pots. HTH
  • MrsChaos
    edited 3 January 2018 at 11:38PM
    Options
    Thank you. Going to try your recipe tonight, using chicken rather than fish. There will also be some garlic bread and either a salad or cooked veggies on the side.

I managed to use my Body Shop voucher: Foaming facial wash £3.60, scrub/mask £6 and a smoothing serum reduced to £1. With the exception of the serum it's all stuff I needed, although I replaced one product with 2. Still, for £5.60 I'm not complaining.

ETA I cooked the peppers and tomatoes in a separate dish because not everyone likes them and steamed some broccoli and cauli. DS1 and I were very impressed, DS2 said it was ok and OH asked not to have it again (even though he cleared his plate). Eventually I will find things for all of us...
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Did you get to tbe cinema? £12 sounds good for three people. Hope the boys enjoyed their last day off.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • redofromstart
    Options
    HHoD - yes we went to the cinema, it's £4 a ticket in the tiny odeon in local small town which I can just about live with compared to the £30 or so to go to the newer place.

MrsC I share your frustration, I have given up on finding a proper plated meal that we will all eat.

Back to work and school today, so much teenage grumpiness from them, and too much driving tiredness from me. Forgot to get something out of the freezer for dinner so I am fast defrosting a bit of steak which will be served with a mountain of mushrooms.
  • MrsChaos
    Options
    Hope you had a better day today. I dread getting my teen ready for school on Monday - instant grump guaranteed. Work today was ok - just health & safety training.

Dropped on some RTC turkey steaks and pork fillet in Mr T's (went in for milk). Boys enjoyed some of the steaks for tea and I'll dig out some recipes for the fillet.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I quite like pork fillet but OH isn't keen - tend to make this delia stroganoff if I spot some suitably reduced. It's good base sauce, or even by itself if you bulk up the mushrooms.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback