Help with writing a statement for a crash i was in

sammyw84
sammyw84 Posts: 34 Forumite
Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
any advice would be appreciated.

Here is what i have so far

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.

Comments

• Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    I'd summerise by saying "we were turning right at a mini roundabout, entered the roundabout, and were hit from the right. "
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    That statement isn!!!8217;t going to help anyone anyone.

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 12:33AM
    debtdebt wrote: »

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?

This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.

It sounds ok to me, time, place, conditions, which seat, etc.. It's up to the insurers to piece the rest together from all the reports..
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    sammyw84 wrote: »

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we [STRIKE]was [/STRIKE]were travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and our car was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we [STRIKE]seen[/STRIKE] saw a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
    Apart from the grammatical changes all you can state is what you witnessed.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The road is here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holliday+St,+Birmingham+B1+1SY/@52.4750503,-1.909715,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870bcf5045ea58b:0x558bdc3eb23f8f9b!8m2!3d52.4762254!4d-1.9078761

It's hard to tell from your description, it sounds like the car was coming from the same direction as you i.e. it had been behind you and was exiting Holliday Street from the NE end (same as you) and went straight out and into your car given it hit the driver's side

Last insurance statement I did was pretty much the same as yours except I was on my bike so I could see from the GPS the speed I was going etc and could describe the incident in great detail as I had it all on head camera
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you were already on the roundabout then sounds like the other car t bones you. You were not driving, so I doubt it carries much weight anyway
  • Sort out your tenses on your statement.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    redux wrote: »
    This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.
    So that should be included.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    debtdebt wrote: »

Sounds like it’ll help the other driver.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sammyw84 wrote: »
    Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
    I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
    any advice would be appreciated.

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.

The driver of your vehicle has a tin pot insurance company if they’re not sending someone to take the statement from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure