Facebook dating app

Anyone know when it starts/how it'll work in the uk?

I know there's plenty of users here on the usual sites/apps.

I think the sheer number of fb users, this could be a game changer. And being fb, should be seamless and glitch free, unlike some of the buggy apps out there.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Anyone know when it starts/how it'll work in the uk?

I know there's plenty of users here on the usual sites/apps.

I think the sheer number of fb users, this could be a game changer. And being fb, should be seamless and glitch free, unlike some of the buggy apps out there.

What makes you think it'll be any better than any of the others?
    Two people like each other and wish to date, then it's good start, you still get fake profiles on FB.
  • moneysaverz83
    moneysaverz83 Posts: 223 Forumite
    As I mentioned, it's the sheer number of people that have access. How many worldwide fb users are there now, like a billion or something? You'll get fake profiles everywhere, that's a given. I think it's also the fact that the tech behind the company will or should mean, a slick and smooth user interface, and seamless integration with people's user profiles.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    As I mentioned, it's the sheer number of people that have access. How many worldwide fb users are there now, like a billion or something?

That's irrelevant. They'll have to opt-in to the dating service - Facebook can't just opt everyone who's listed as "single" into a dating service and bombard half their users with unsolicited pictures of penises. And given that nobody wants to be bombarded with pictures of penises when they're browsing Facebook in their lunch hour, my guess is that hardly anybody will sign up.

The whole point of dating sites is that everybody on them is actively looking for a partner. So the fact that Facebook has a large database of people who are not actively looking for a partner is of no use if you are dating.

Facebook is rapidly losing popularity among young people and the entrance into the deeply uncool online dating arena smacks of desperation.
  • People have been saying that about fb for years? But magically it's revenue and user numbers have been increasing annually? And the people that think it's uncool...erm, still use it?

And penises? I'm sure the message system that they implement will only show profile pics...did you think about that?

Online dating uncool? All the young uns are using tinder, bumble etc, it's far from uncool, it's THE NORM, especially when 1 in 3 relationship start online.

I'm surprised it's taken fb this long. Userbase is EVERYTHING, and I think more people than you think will opt in
  • Malthusian
    Forumite
    People have been saying that about fb for years? But magically it's revenue and user numbers have been increasing annually? And the people that think it's uncool...erm, still use it?

Only to make their parents think they know what's going on in their lives, and dissuade them from trying to look at their real social accounts.

Most user profiles on Facebook are fake. Facebook's earnings come from advertisers, not users, and advertisers are mostly middle aged men who still think their daughters are on Facebook.

And penises? I'm sure the message system that they implement will only show profile pics...did you think about that?

Of course, I forgot about Facebook's revolutionary technology that stops you putting a picture of your todger in your profile pic and sending it to random people.

Online dating uncool? All the young uns are using tinder, bumble etc, it's far from uncool, it's THE NORM, especially when 1 in 3 relationship start online.

Young-uns don't need dating apps unless they are on the spectrum. Dating apps are for men and women in their 30s whose biological clocks are ticking, and the age groups above, however much they might like to think of themselves as fancy-free young studs. Tinder is only the least uncool of a deeply uncool industry. Those that are single are already using Tinder. They aren't going to go back on Facebook so they can be matched with Putin or their nan.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Only to make their parents think they know what's going on in their lives, and dissuade them from trying to look at their real social accounts.

Most user profiles on Facebook are fake. Facebook's earnings come from advertisers, not users, and advertisers are mostly middle aged men who still think their daughters are on Facebook.

Of course, I forgot about Facebook's revolutionary technology that stops you putting a picture of your todger in your profile pic and sending it to random people.

Young-uns don't need dating apps unless they are on the spectrum. Dating apps are for men and women in their 30s whose biological clocks are ticking, and the age groups above, however much they might like to think of themselves as fancy-free young studs. Tinder is only the least uncool of a deeply uncool industry. Those that are single are already using Tinder. They aren't going to go back on Facebook so they can be matched with Putin or their nan.

Are we going for the record of 'most incorrect things said in a post'?
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 6:46PM
    Are we going for the record of 'most incorrect things said in a post'?

I think they must be.

My daughter is cool, her boyfriend is cool. Guess where they met? That's right, Tinder.

I do agree that FB isn't cool though and hasn't been for sometime. It's a necessary evil for businesses now.
  • Malthusian wrote: »

So much rubbish as previously pointed out.

FYI, I'm in my 30s. I know a lot of people in their 20s. They have ALL used tinder at some point and are ALL on fb, and actively use it, and none are 'uncool'. Oh, and there's many many 20 something on tinder when I've searched.

And btw, maybe read into how the fb thing will work. From what I understand, it can match 2 singles attending a particular event (eg gig), as an introduction.

Ps - never seen a genital on a profile picture on FB. You must mix in wildly different (cool?) circles to me, but I'm sure with the increased spotlight on FB and data security, they'll have sufficient vetting procedures in place, so you will hopefully sleep easy on that
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Malthusian wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. They'll have to opt-in to the dating service -
    Facebook can't just opt everyone who's listed as "single" into a dating service and bombard half their users with unsolicited pictures of penises.
    And given that nobody wants to be bombarded with pictures of penises when they're browsing Facebook in their lunch hour, my guess is that hardly anybody will sign up.

The whole point of dating sites is that everybody on them is actively looking for a partner. So the fact that Facebook has a large database of people who are not actively looking for a partner is of no use if you are dating.

Facebook is rapidly losing popularity among young people and the entrance into the deeply uncool online dating arena smacks of desperation.

Well, one would hope they can't - but it is Facebook we're talking about...;)
  • Malthusian
    Forumite
    seashore22 wrote: »
    My daughter is cool, her boyfriend is cool.

This thread is too cute. It's like listening to your nan reminiscing about how your mum and dad used to go courting down the youth club, when you know they were actually on the beach getting mashed on LSD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure