MeandO's mortgage-free musings

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 10:49AM
    DS and I have had a lovely roast dinner using up the veg, some chicken thighs and a couple of sausages for DS. I gave OH some cooked veg to take home for him and his son to have later.

DS and I made some chocolate cheerio cakes with some cereal that needed using up, a bar of dark chocolate and some melted easter chocolates. It's nice to finally have less chocolate in the house - DS won a competition which = lots of Easter eggs - he gave lots away, but there was still way too much chocolate around here!

Work on the bathroom has started and they guy has achieved lots already in just a few hours. It should be done by Friday, I'm so pleased.

No plans tonight, other than getting packed lunches ready for tomorrow. I may have a bath, as that is still useable, then do a few more surveys in bed. I could do with an early night, I didn't sleep well last night.

I was going to do some washing this evening but thought I'd wait until
    tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be nice so I can dry it all outside :)
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • MeandO
    Forgot about getting the washing done this morning to peg out today, but will do it when I get home and hopefully it will dry by the evening. To be fair, it was raining a bit here this morning anyway but it looks like the sun is just poking its head out now.

If it's nice I will try and paint the rest of a wall in the garden. My Dad kindly gave me some paint so it's cost me nought and will look so much better. It's a small drop in the ocean as to the work that needs doing outside, but it's a start. I need to spray some weedkiller in several places too and have been waiting for a few dry days to do so, so will crack on with that tonight too. Again, my wonderful Dad gave me more than enough to tackle the weed jungle, so no cost involved.

I've transferred the £500 from my savings to the bank account, ready to pay for the work currently being done in the bathroom. That leaves just over £600 in my savings, so I really need to work on building it up again.
  • MeandO
    I got the garden wall painted in the 45 mins between getting home from work and picking DS up from school. It was slapped on more than painted, but looks fine. :D

The bathroom is coming on nicely, I wouldn't be surprised if the work is finished today rather than tomorrow. :) I withdrew £300 of the money owed yesterday, but need to withdraw a bit more today to cover the whole amount - couldn't yesterday because of the cashpoint withdrawal limit.

Out of the blue, I have (hopefully) sold an item advertised ages ago for £15 and have had enquiries about a £20 item. The £15 item is supposed to be collected today which will go towards a £5 collection at work and £10 towards the bathroom.

I managed to get one load of washing dried outside yesterday, leaving the slightly damp bits out there overnight. I put my bedding on to wash early this morning and got it hung on the line in the nick of time today before rushing out of the door. It was one of those stressy/tiredy/rushy mornings this morning. :(

Oh, DS's latest wobbly tooth also fell out whilst brushing his teeth, so the tooth fairy needs to raid her purse again too.

I jumped on the scales today and was mortified to see I've put on even more weight. I'm almost a stone heavier now then after I had DS! :eek: :( I could've cried trying to find something to wear this morning that would be cool in this sun and actually looks ok. Due to stressy morning and no time last night, I didn't have time to prep anything for my lunch and the fridge is pretty bare, so I just grabbed a tin of tomatoes, a plain bagel and some fruit. So, despite not really having money until Monday when the child benefit is paid, I'll have to transfer a bit from a different pot and stock up on fruit, veg and eggs etc. I have some nice frozen YS fish in my freezer that I shall make into something nice and healthy and shall have to start calorie counting on MFP. Feeling totally fed up with myself. :(:(:(
  • The OPs are looking amazing MeandO, well done!

I sympathise about the jumping on the scales. I did the same last week and got a shock. Too many Easter eggs I think...
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • MeandO
    edited 23 April 2018 at 11:43AM
    A little overpayment of £6.86 today with some funds left in the bank account.

New totals:
    Mortgage now: £76,910.14
    APR OP:£157.31/£100

I saved myself £90 at the weekend by fitting some flooring myself instead of having the fitter to do it. I got fed up with waiting for them to show and just had a go myself and thankfully it worked out OK. I have a few bits of DIY materials I didn't need left over from the work, so will take those back to B&Q for a refund one night this week.
  • MeandO
    Woop woop it's payday! :j
    My pension payments have been re-instated and, although I haven't had a pay slip yet, I'm only about £70 down a month which, with the increase in tax credits (which has also been paid in today), I can handle.
    I have sent savings to all of the various online pots:
    £100 to the car/house insurance & car maintenance,
    £100 to the ISA/emergency savings,
    £75 to the house renovations/DIY fund,
    £50 to the Christmas/birthdays pot
    and £25 to the holiday fund.

I've lowered the amount paid into the ISA by £50 a month to cover the help to save savings of £50pm for the next four years.

YNAB is currently showing a red negative, but once the other bits of money have dripped in this week, it should be back in the green.

There won't be anything leftover, but the budget pots are all full and there's enough. :)

My mortgage OP challenge has been raised to £150 this month as my mortgage payment lowered last month with the new rate. This morning I've tidied the balance up by paying £10.14 off, taking it down to £76,900. The regular OP will be coming out on the 1st and then I shall be ebaying to try and raise a bit more to reach the £150 target. :)
  • MeandO
    So it's Thursday - I thought it was Friday for a good hour this morning. :(

DS and I popped to Asda to pick up a few essentials yesterday and timed it right for some YS fruit and veg. Grapes, blueberries and a big tub of stir fry veg for 45p each. :) I also picked up some reduced shampoo and conditioner on offer as I was getting low.
    The bill came to just under £20 and I used an Asda gift card my parents very kindly gave me, so it cost me nothing. :)

This morning was one big rush, but I have managed to grab something for lunch today and some of the YS fruit for snacks. DS is eating out at a school event tonight then he's off to his Dad's, so OH and I will use up the stir fry veg with some rice or noodles from the cupboard.

The help to save £50 has left the bank account today, along with the Sky bill for the month. Other money has come in, so YNAB will be looking a nice shade of green again.

Feeling a bit :( this morning.
    I only realised when I got to work and saw the date that I was getting married ten years ago today. :( Don't know why I feel quite so down about it as I know wholly that the ex and I were not meant to be. We still get on ok, although it's been a little more difficult lately, but still feel sad that life hasn't turned out the way I thought it would. It's a strange feeling.
  • MeandO
    YNAB all updated and showing a £10.22 surplus after everything's been accounted for, so I've swept that over to the ISA/emergency fund.

I've taken £20 out of the grocery budget in lieu of using a gift card to pay for groceries yesterday and have sent that to the mortgage as a £20 OP, adjusting the grocery budget within YNAB.

The mortgage is now at £76,880 and £30.14/£150 overpayments made so far this month.
  • Doing well MeandO - going to take a leaf out of your book and do the YNAB - wish me luck!!

SLM
  • MeandO
    Doing well MeandO - going to take a leaf out of your book and do the YNAB - wish me luck!!

SLM

Thanks SLM, good luck with YNAB, it really has helped me no end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills