Radiator question

Options
I am having a kitchen/lounge/diner which will be about 30 square meters. There is not a lot of spare wall space. Would I need two radiators or would one be enough (obviously with correct output)? If I had one would it need to be in the middle or could it be up one end.
Thanks

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'd need to look at the BTU rating and compare against your room size. Have you considered vertical radiators?
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't seen them for quite a while but you used to get kickspace heaters that would work of your central heating and have a fan assisted system to blow convected heat out. They would be fitted below kitchen units into the kickspace for space saving, there probably a fair bit more expensive than conventional rads.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they're called plinth heaters; they're definitely still around.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had one and it worked very well in a small kitchen which was circa 25 square metres.
    One radiator would be more than enough for 30 square metres.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Grenage wrote: »
    I think they're called plinth heaters; they're definitely still around.

I have one of these in my kitchen - Considerably more expensive than a similar sized radiator (in terms of BTU), but so much neater. Having warm air wafting across the floor is worth it.

You can also get space saving fan assisted radiators from the likes of Myson and Smiths. One example - http://www.myson.co.uk/products/lo_line_rc.htm
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    How about a plinth heater in the kitchen end - I find them really useful when the kitchen is cold but then turn them off when the cooking is happening as it gets too hot with an oven and burners on.

And then a radiator at the dining room/living room end. By the nature of things you will be sitting/not moving around at that end, and are therefore likely to feel colder.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    25 square meters is not a small kitchen, it's bloody huge.

One radiator will not be sufficient to heat a 30 square meter space.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure about the plinth heaters. I will give them some thought. What I wonder is will the heat fill the room if there is one radiator at the lounge end of the room or do the radiators/heaters need to be more evenly spaced? One in the middle or one each end?

Obviously the heat won't sit in a pile in front of the radiator :rotfl:
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A single radiator at one end will leave the room colder at the other end. A radiator at both ends will heat the room quicker and give a more even temperature along the length.

Plinth heaters are nice as they blow the warm air out at a low level rather than relying on convection that you get with a normal radiator.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    JuzaMum wrote: »
    What I wonder is will the heat fill the room if there is one radiator at the lounge end of the room or do the radiators/heaters need to be more evenly spaced? One in the middle or one each end?

It's difficult to advise based on just the floor area. Things like the shape of the area (is it square or long and narrow), construction of the walls and floors, ceiling height, insulation levels, draught-proofing, windows need to be taken into account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure