Halifax bank account closed

Comments

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So, following the rant, it does look as though they have stupidly come to the conclusion that you're running a business via your personal accounts. As such, there are fees that they feel they have a right to, but are not collecting.

Firstly, that wouldn't really be such a "stupid" conclusion - regular/semi-regular income coming from Etsy, looks quite a lot like someone running a small business from home.

Secondly, are you suggesting that banks *don't* have a right to charge fees to businesses? That banks should be obliged to provide services to businesses for free?
  • They did exactly the same to me a couple of years ago. I had some shares I had built up over several years in a Halifax share dealing account. I sold them and transferred the proceeds into my Haliax current account. They then closed my currents, sharedealing and savings account!

Quite pathetic when the money was all from within the group. They are an awful group to be a customer of, and I've heard of many others who have suffered the same fate.

Get your revenge in the long term as I have by telling as many people as you can how dreadfully they treat their customers. I know I've cost them a fair bit of money over the years as friends and family come to me for advice on money matters.

Move your accounts elsewhere and never give the Lloyds group a penny of your money again.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had this from the Lloyds banking group recently (see my thread https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5990108) and the decision was overturned but I had already closed and transferred my accounts to another bank using the CASS by the time they informed me they are no longer closing my account.

However, the different thing with you was I could operate my account as normal during the notice period. I will advise you to issue a SAR to CIFAS to check that they haven't left any fraud marker against your name.

As to the in-branch appeal, you don't really need to take any document (but it won't hurt if you can show some documents - in my case there was no need to supply anything). It is mainly a chat with a branch manager who will ask you about the different transactions on the account. I will advice you appeal this because otherwise it seems they will block you from opening account with the group forever. Lloyds may have a competitive products or even have a good job openings you may like in the future.

But I agree, the treatment of customers by banks is not very good.
  • FizzyPop_2
    FizzyPop_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Ergates wrote: »
    Firstly, that wouldn't really be such a "stupid" conclusion - regular/semi-regular income coming from Etsy, looks quite a lot like someone running a small business from home.

Secondly, are you suggesting that banks *don't* have a right to charge fees to businesses? That banks should be obliged to provide services to businesses for free?

It’s not regular income though. It’s literally a month worth of listing stuff, they get sold and payment goes to the Halifax account. Several months later the same, all things in the household in order to pay for house renovation, again can be shown by invoices and proof on Etsy.
  • FizzyPop_2
    edited 17 May 2019 at 8:44PM
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    However, the different thing with you was I could operate my account as normal during the notice period. I will advise you to issue a SAR to CIFAS to check that they haven't left any fraud marker against your name.

As to the in-branch appeal, you don't really need to take any document (but it won't hurt if you can show some documents - in my case there was no need to supply anything). It is mainly a chat with a branch manager who will ask you about the different transactions on the account. I will advice you appeal this because otherwise it seems they will block you from opening account with the group forever. Lloyds may have a competitive products or even have a good job openings you may like in the future. Also unlike others, there’s nothing that says that I can’t bank with them again so who knows? Will definitely issue an SAR to CIFAS to confirm.

But I agree, the treatment of customers by banks is not very good.

Okay, now I’m getting worried. Would they really put a CIFAS marker just for thinking I’m a small business? I’m not commiting fraud at all! Will definitely have that checked out asap.

I finally received the letter from them today about the account closure. Doesn’t mention anything about CIFAS, although not sure if they even do that or it’s upto the customer to find out? Does the bank usually give an indication about CIFAS if they intend to put a marker on you? If so, no indication on the letter. Says I’m a risk to their business after carrying out a risk assessment but nothing else.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    FizzyPop wrote: »
    Okay, now I’m getting worried. Would they really put a CIFAS marker just for thinking I’m a small business? I’m not commiting fraud at all! Will definitely have that checked out asap.

I finally received the letter from them today about the account closure. Doesn’t mention anything about CIFAS, although not sure if they even do that or it’s upto the customer to find out? Does the bank usually give an indication about CIFAS if they intend to put a marker on you? If so, no indication on the letter. Says I’m a risk to their business after carrying out a risk assessment but nothing else.

k3os35.jpg
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite

No need to be worried but you can't really know why the account was closed at this moment except if they told you. Also they won't tell you if they put a marker. The CIFAS SAR is really quick and i think they replied within a week in my case. There may be nothing there but no harm in knowing just in case.
  • FizzyPop_2
    That’s the same letter that I got. Really wish I never banked with them! Gonna put in a request and see whether thats the case.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    That’s the same letter that I got. Really wish I never banked with them! Gonna put in a request and see whether thats the case.

Have you phoned the account review team on the number on the letter? This version of an account closure letter is usually sent where they suspect fraud and takes into account everything on credit reference files, fraud prevention agencies and internal account info. Note the subtle difference from other account closure letters from LBG - that it doesn't ban you from applying for new accounts with them in future if you want to. If you are deemed an acceptable risk on a new application in future, they will let you have other accounts but for whatever reason aren't happy with your current risk level with your current circumstances AT THIS TIME. Ring them on Monday, give them the reference number and see what they have to say. It may be just 'you don't meet our criteria'.
  • FizzyPop_2
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Have you phoned the account review team on the number on the letter? This version of an account closure letter is usually sent where they suspect fraud and takes into account everything on credit reference files, fraud prevention agencies and internal account info. Note the subtle difference from other account closure letters from LBG - that it doesn't ban you from applying for new accounts with them in future if you want to. If you are deemed an acceptable risk on a new application in future, they will let you have other accounts but for whatever reason aren't happy with your current risk level with your current circumstances AT THIS TIME. Ring them on Monday, give them the reference number and see what they have to say. It may be just 'you don't meet our criteria'.

Thank you. With these letters, does it mean they will place a CIFAS marker? That’s the part I’m most worried about. I can prove where all the money came from. I don’t care whether they open the accounts back up, just whether they place unjustifiable markers.

I’ll call them up on Monday. Will wait for CIFAS confirmation before going into branch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure