NST 07/2018 - Survive July!

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DawnW - I use the basic muffin recipe below and make it vegan by using plant milk and flax egg (1tsp ground flax seed and 2tbsp water = 1 egg).

250g plain flour
    2tsp baking powder
    150g caster sugar (I always halve this though)
    175ml milk
    150ml oil
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (didn't put this in the peanut butter ones though)

mix dry ingredients in a bowl and add wet, add a couple of spoons full of melted peanut butter and roughly chopped dark chocolate, mix until just combined. 20 minutes ish in the oven.

I also did the following recipe which uses apple sauce to replace the eggs.

375g SR flour
    75g sugar
    125ml oil
    125g apple sauce
    1tsp salt
    milk to loosen
    fruit

blend fruit (I used blackberries) and apple sauce and stir into dry ingredients with oil and milk.

These worked really, really well but I didn't think apple sauce went with chocolate which is why I used the other recipe.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, today is going to be NSD 4. Am craving pasta so will have tuna pasta for lunch.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Massive hugs, I totally understand. My DH was exactly the same until about 24 months ago, then he suddenly got it when he had to get a credit history (his old one disappeared when he changed from Mr to Dr and we had to get a mortgage based on my credit history, even though I was not working)

Don't give up on him!

Thanks, I'm trying not to :o. But after 15 years, a house and two kids and he still doesn't get it ?
    thriftylass and foxholes I have a budget averse OH too - and the budget this month was not helped by £100+ of expenses that he would usually cover (he is s/e so erratic income). I know this causes him a lot of anxiety so I don't want to push, but equally he can get away with not monitoring his spending because I'm organised and will pick up the slack. So. He is planning to pay me back so we'll see. It means I need to go back to adding a pot for unplanned expenses which annoys me!

Food budget is looking tight again :mad: - too many top up shops. When will I learn? Must eat from freezer tonight and avoid extras.

The line in bold hit the nail on the head. I think mine does that also because he thinks he earns well now and deserves/earned it/ doesn't have to watch the pennies anymore. He doesn't want to budget as it feels like living like a student again (not that he ever lived in his means then :rotfl:).

Our food budget is tight again too, same reason. Oh that reminds me I need milk, bread and diluting juice, doh
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone :D
    Today is not going to be a nsd because ds has had a school trouser emergency that will not wait until September :o so I'm going to have to pop into Mr A on the way home and cross my fingers that they sell navy school uniform (I have the worst feeling that they don't). Otherwise a more expensive trip to M&S will have to follow. However, I am managing my pennies as best as I can in the current financial climate so this will have to do him until September (hoping that he doesn't grow again)
    I have made a PAD after selling my own mobile phone so at least I feel as though I'm making some small steps towards sorting the situation out.
    Have planned tonight's dinner and hopefully I can get an early night as well. Fingers crossed.

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Dolly84, I will definitely be trying those :)
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Hurrah an NSD!! Hugs to anyone who needs them.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done, Indigo.
    A very small spend here today. Just potatoes a cooking foil.
    A little walk but at least I left the house despite the heat (yes, it is still hot and humid here).
    Apart from that haven't done much. To be honest, I'm feeling a little bit down after the bad news of the last couple of days.
    The Boy isn't coming for dinner tonight. He must be microwaving something I've made him. Himself is watching the football. So I think it's an early night and book for me. What an exciting life I lead!. Honestly, not complaining. Compared to some people I am truly blessed.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Today is NSD 8/20 for me .

USE - For lunch I used equal quantities of grated cheese, grated carrot and shredded lettuce to make cheese salad. Just combine ingredients with mayonnaise and you have a tasty sandwich filling. I sprinkle with chilli flakes but this is optional.

For dinner I had a ys sausage roll bought last month and frozen. Baked beans and mashed potatoes. As I live on my own I cook and mash a load of potatoes and place scoops on a baking tray to freeze then bag. When needed, I take a couple out in the morning to defrost then zap in the microwave. They taste just like fresh potatoes.

JUMP - went walking again today and did too much. Sitting here with a bag of peas on my knee. Will I never learn ??????

I usually do my monthly mega shop on the 15th of the month -as this date passes I will need to be more inventive with the menus :)

EarlyRetirement - I only had 5 months' notice when I retired. Luckily ( with the support of MSE) I had paid off my mortgage 8 years previously and had then been able to save. If I hadn't done this I would not have been able to retire. Best thing I have ever done :T
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD 7/20 Was an NSD today.
    Set - Done the budget for the month.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences. Done 2 days out already.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into other ways to save for days out etc.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Having a good night's sleep.
    Taking it easy this evening.
    Done a few household chores when I got home.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Walked to/from bus stop/work and some walking around the school doing errands.
    Unless - No need today.
    Lose - Done decluttering for now. Still need to take items to cs.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, Indigo.
    So I think it's an early night and book for me. What an exciting life I lead!. Honestly, not complaining. Compared to some people I am truly blessed.

Sounds like my kind of night :).

Handed the mountain bike in for repair. Bought it second hand/refurbished but need to replace some bits. As the base of the bike is great it's still good value for money.

At lunch time tried to go for a swim. Only managed 20 lengths prob because I ran a 10 k yesterday. Came back to to office to have my lunch and had to be sick within 10 minutes. Prob got the bug that my DH had and is making the rounds. Feel okish just now.

Did a small top up shop of bread, diluting juice, and milk. Quickly done my chores, all had early treat dinner of Lidl pizza and sat down at 7 to watch the game. Will just get up earlier tomorrow to deal with tomorrow s dinner and lunches.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure