Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    We do need some packs with decent discounts however. They've been very mediocre recently

I agree, I only bought this month's Simple Saver and the November Future Packs (which were worse than last year in terms of total value of discounted credit available to buy.)

It just goes to show the importance of being well in credit so it's possible to ignore the poorly discounted special packs being offered.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »
    It just goes to show the importance of being well in credit so it's possible to ignore the poorly discounted special packs being offered.

Yep - my worry is when the credit runs out. Luckily I stocked up before they changed the system to do discounts based on usage.

I left them a scathing review on the recent survey they emailed round.... along with the fact I'll be leaving as soon as my credit runs out. Left my email address under "would you like us to know who you are".

Unsurprisingly, they haven't contacted me to even offer an explanation :rotfl:
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not looking good for me staying I must admit. At moment I'm in credit until October. Let's see what Monday brings with December's future pack
  • fewkeste
    Options
    I think Powershop needs to think very carefully about their pricing strategy going forward. They might not impose an actual price increase by raising the unit costs and/or the daily standing charge, but I suspect they are attempting to reduce the maximum discount customers are able to achieve. They are doing this by restricting the size and availability of Future and Special Packs with a decent discount.

In essence customers will experience an effective price rise by virtue of not being able to achieve the level of discount they have previously.

Now, the thing to bear in mind is that typical Powershop customers are able to work out what's happening and, when the effective lower price they can achieve turns out to be higher than what they have previously be able to achieve, they will simply move on.

I suspect PS will still retain the 'lazy' or less aware customers, but will almost certainly lose their most savvy customers if achievable discounts stay as low as they have been going forward.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Only thing in powershops defence is prices are going up at all other companies so at moment powershop is still cheapest for me for electric only
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Only thing in powershops defence is prices are going up at all other companies so at moment powershop is still cheapest for me for electric only

Yes the same for me - BUT, the difference to the next most competitive supplier is not that great.

The real frustration is you won't know how you will fare over the coming year in advance because you won't know what the Future and Special Pack discount rates will be and what the value available to purchase will be.

The only way you'll know if another supplier would be cheaper is after the event! i.e. once a time period has elapsed, it would be possible to calculate the effective tariff you have achieved by buying Special and Future Packs and only then by doing the calculation and comparison can you determine if your effective achieved rate is competitive compared to other alternative conventional suppliers.

I guess one approach is to do things in reverse. By looking at the tariff of the next most competitive supplier it would be possible to work out what % discount you would need to achieve with Powershop to match the tariff of the nearest competitor. Then it's a judgment call to decide if you believe you can achieve or exceed the required level of discount to beat the next most competitive supplier.
  • Tafrock
    Options
    According to mse cheap energy club outfox are £41 a year cheaper for electricity only on my consumption of 2907 kWh per year. However mse does not use the lower unit price achieved by buying powerpacks for comparison. It uses the standard rate so if I save £41 a year by buying powerpacks I'm still on cheapest rate.

Every month I work out the true cost per kWh powershop have charged me. At moment it's running at 9.618p

If my unit cost goes above 10.3p I'll be better off elsewhere and will switch without delay

A better comparison site I find is energy helpline. They use the promised rates from powershop. The ones I'm actually beating at moment. They sat outfox is nine pounds cheaper. Interestingly they say Powershop
    Top Shopper June 2018 Issue 1 is 20 pounds dearer for me which is a guaranteed tariff for one year

However Im no longer on an easy saver promise or whatever it's called nowadays. I've passed my 12 months anniversary with powershop but my rates have not altered
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use the Which.co.uk comparison tool https://switch.which.co.uk/ which does not require you to enter an email address and therefore doesn't pester you to find out whether the offer was good enough to switch.

I have tried participating in various "Big Switch" group offers but these seem to aimed at low consumption users.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use the following calculation to compare the annual cost of each supplier:

(*Daily Standing Charge * 365)+(Price per kWh * typical annual consumption), which gives a total in £'s & pence.

* Outfox the Market don't charge a daily "Standing Charge", instead they charge you a monthly "Membership Fee" which starts at £6.99 per month. For a "High Consumption" user like me (10,000) the monthly charge is £16.99.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just asked powershop for a quote and selected the pro option.

Results were
    Top shopper £470.89 per year
    First Year Promise £651.63 per year
    Baseline £671.82 per year
    The Top shopper is only £12 cheaper per year than my new 12 month fix starting next month with Utility Point.
    So powershop's own figures show it isn't worth a risk.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback