'Turning the MSE forum into a true social network…' blog discussion

2»

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2012 at 3:01PM
    Company reps are useful and tend to try to be helpful but they aren't always good. Consider:

1. Person posts information here about a problem to get feedback on how to proceed before contacting the company. Company rep finds that there happens to be enough information about the situation to search for the person in company records and identify the poster and contacts them. That's two unfortunate issues:

1A. the company rep has breached the data protection regulations by collecting and using personally identifiable information* without prior consent by the user to that use and MSE has probably also breached them as the hosting site, because it shares some of the obligation to protect the data from use outside the ways for which consent has been given. Neither "identifying you from your postings on MSE by correlating them with the information you tell us" nor "companies using your postings on MSE to identify you in their records" are likely to be areas where the user has provided consent.

1B. it's undermined the forum as a safe place to seek feedback.

2. Same thing but done in a topic dedicated to the company that has a comment in the initial post saying that you're asking the company for help posing and the company may check details to try to help if you don't request that they not do so. The prior notification reduces the data protection risk, the ability not to be checked also helps to reduce it, though the Information Commissioner prefers opt in not opt out, the ability to choose between company and non-company topic may be taken as being sufficient opt in.

Case 1 puts the company in control, case 2 puts the consumer in control - they can choose to ask the company or community first.

For offers to help outside a dedicated topic it's probably good for company reps to wait at least until most of the initial discussion and opinion seeking has died down before offering to help, to try to reduce the potential undermining effect. It can't ever eliminate it because there's always the big brother effect of seeing that the company is watching if it's participating. But deferring and letting the consumer choose when and how to initiate direct contact with the company can mitigate the adverse effects while helping to facilitate communication.

Company reps definitely can be good. I actually won a user-nominated award this year in part as a result of my replies to blog posts related to my company's business, identified clearly as an employee of the company in those replies and with employees of several competitors involved in the selection as well. *2 So I'm a company rep myself, just not here - and never will be here, it's an unrelated topic. Having 15-20 years of online community experience and being very sensitive to the emotional, cultural and legal issues helps.

*personally identifiable information is roughly information that can be used to identify an individual either alone or when combined with other data. So an IP address isn't inherently personally identifiable information but if a company combines it with their web access logs it is. A few details from a question aren't inherently personally identifiable but as soon as they are used to try to find someone in a company database they are.
    *2 details provided privately on request to MSE if interested.
  • jamesd
    edited 13 September 2012 at 3:26PM
    I'm not greatly keen on thinking of MSE as a social network. Like Wikipedia it's more an online community than a basic social network. One of the differences is focus and direction, both here and at Wikipedia there is a goal for the community. Social networks tend to be more about building connection graphs for marketing use and abuse than building productive communities. Social networks can host such communities, of course.

Viewing Wikipedia as a closed community is pretty clearly wrong.

Viewing MSE as a closed community is unfortunately easier because MSE's forum is company property. While Martin has been a very thoughtful and good host the involvement of a business as a host inevitably makes it harder to be seen as a neutral gathering place. This hasn't been much of an issue but change of ownership probably will make it a tougher one.

The challenge is in part to find a sustainable financing model. Wikipedia managed it with donations and a very low employee to user ratio, via extensive volunteer use and increasingly well developed tools for moderation by those volunteers, along with generally good social norms. MSE has chosen an approach with a high employee to user ratio and can't use the charity approach at present. It might be viable with adjustments and more scale, if that can be achieved - scale is critical to small scale donation use, it's what shifted Wikipedia from initial fund raisings in the low tens of thousands to millions.

It's probably possible to reduce the employee to user ratio here with more tools like the spam report button that use collective action and perhaps reputation (how good is x's reporting success record?) to do more identification of trolling or failures to be nice and an act on reports, revert on appeal approach.

The legal risks will inevitably remain a challenge for UK content given the costs of defending actions.
  • jamesd
    What Facebook and Twitter do is provide aggregation and commonality of tools and presence. Not MSE, Mumsnet but the Facebook or Twitter common interface to MSE and Mumsnet communities if they were hosted by them.

This aggregation reduces the costs of interaction and helps with common company policy development. There's a common benefit to the various places not hosted at Facebook and Twitter in finding some common facilitation method to make it easier for companies and individuals to interact across multiple sites.

Get big enough and it's worth the overhead of the extra platform but it's a lot easier for a company to manage its involvements if it's not a different thing to learn and manage for each place.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The Facebook responses to this article rather put me off making MSE more like Facebook. At the time of writing none of them relate to the article at all.

Personally I would prefer MSE to be more tightly focused on money and drop pure chat forums such as the "Money Savers Arms" (that will make me unpopular!) and leave that to the social sites, so I am a bit concerned if this is part of a long term plan is to turn MSE into a social network site.

However CAB is at least finance/law assistance so not straying far from the path.
  • jamesd
    Reaper, chat areas are a useful and necessary part of online community building. They can be troublesome sometimes but water cooler and tea break discussions are part of how people can build relationships. They also provide a dedicated off topic venue for things that would inevitably otherwise happen on the on topic areas, helping to keep those on topic.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jamesd wrote: »
    1. Person posts information here about a problem to get feedback on how to proceed before contacting the company. Company rep finds that there happens to be enough information about the situation to search for the person in company records and identify the poster and contacts them.
    I've never seen a company rep on here do that.
  • jamesd
    edited 13 September 2012 at 4:30PM
    I have, only once so far for an MSE-authorised rep and the rep was clearly trying to be helpful. One non-authorised rep did posit some positive personally identifiable information about a loan I had in response to a post here that I made, trying to contradict a mention I made of a DD being taken earlier than I'd be told it was taken, but non-authorised and authorised are different cases.

That prompted research in to the subject that in part showed up in my post and in part will be given later as followup to a report to the MSE team where I wondered whether they thought it was a good idea or not. Having done some of that research I ended up discovering that I thought it actually breached the data protection rules even though the cultural and community issues were what originally caused me to react.

I'm still contemplating just how to reply to that report but you can see how I've gone so far from my post. It's interesting because of the many "soft" issues involved as well as the potential regulatory bright lines. The real juggling isn't regulation it's what's best for a supportive community and those are seldom bright line decisions.
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2012 at 10:26AM
    I think it is a positive development.

The forums are great but can be dangerous with threads going off topic and the danger that some 'newbies' or the less informed may not be able to spot the sarcasm and irony in some postings and the genuine good advice.

Perhaps rather than 'like' we need 'endorsement' of the best posts from a member of the MSE, CAB or other team to guide users?

As well as the CAB forum, I also passionately believe that MSE can educate. Not just kids but adults too.

Martin, you have been vocal about the problems with the 'one size fits all' money advice service although I know you are now on speaking terms again.

Although 'citizens' generally trust the NHS about health and teachers around education, I'm not sure I trust the government with my financial wellbeing and certainly not my bank.

I really think there is a place for an independent advice service, endorsed (and funded) by government but independent from it and MSE seems to be the perfect 'social network' or platform to make this happen.

The 'debt free wannabe' and financial affairs inventory are a great example of this in practice for those in debt.

If the same can be created for teenagers, students, young workers, older workers and pensioners offering tools, acredited advice and a forum to ask for both opinion and impartial advice I think a major leap forward will occur.

This has to be far more effective than adult education, TV advertising, educating kids about pension annuities and other poorly timed and targeted, but well meaning initiatives. It is also massively more efficient than 100's of community based advice centres.

Facebook is all about 'degrees of separation' and MSE has that sewn up for money saving in the UK. I'm guessing when you walk down the street that more than in 4 adults is an MSE user and there are probably a tiny minority of families where at least one member doesn't know about this place.

Good luck.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    So agree Rafter, MSE should be the likes of Which and whistleblowing Private Eye. Not the best phrase but the late 'Consumer Revenge' fitted the bill.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    While I think MSE should remain anonymous (and so will never really be a social network), I think it could do with increased (virtual) social interaction between users.
    E.g. it would be helpful sometimes to be able to tag users and/or if you could get a notification when someone has quoted one of your posts.
    Would also be good if you could see "mutual threads" if you click on a username. E.g. if a username sounds familiar you can currently click on their username to see their previous posts, but that can easily run in to the thousands. What I want to see is where we have interacted in the past. E.g. where we both offered someone suggestions on how to bring their credit card bill down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure