Reclaim lost assets for free discussion

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    I tested my lost account and had passbooks from various building societies with small amounts in and they came back with nothing at all. I actually have the books so I know I have the money but obviously not a trused site in my view.
  • darrenk_3
    darrenk_3 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thank you Marshallka for your advice.
  • Fertilizer
    Fertilizer Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used mylostaccount.org which, according to their website

" is brought to you by the British Bankers’ Association, the Building Societies Association and National Savings and Investments. Together we represent most of the firms that offer savings and current accounts in the UK. So if you need to trace a lost account, this is the place to start."

Well I included my own name and requested a search for myself at my own bank which is in regular use. They came back to me quite quickly.

And the result was ...... "Following extensive investigations carried out on your behalf, we regret to advise you that, Barclays have not found an account in the name of XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX plus any other names (maiden name etc) which you have quoted."

So, can I trust any of these enquiries ??
  • Fiacre
    Fiacre Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi there, my mother died 5 years ago but we have only just found out about some Severn Trent shares that she had. Things are now in hand to claim them and eventually sell them, but in the meantime it has got us thinking if there are any more shares in other companies that we are not aware of.
    Does anyone know of a 'one-stop' method on how we can check to see if she was registered as a shareholder elsewhere? Any response appreciated
  • ethereal
    ethereal Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya, this is really random but worth a shot, my mother recently inherited some stamp collections from an Uncle of hers but inside are 3 share receipts dating back to 1934. The name on the receipts is not my Uncles but the value of the shares go up to £435 on just one of them. I have tried to google anything on the receipts but in each case it comes up with nothing and to make it harder, I can't read the handwriting describing the company the Shares are with. The Receipts are from a company called Cassel & Co 1 & 2 Copthall Chambers EC2. Members of the Stock Exchange London. Why did my Uncle keep these receipts and what do we do with them?
  • Hello everybody, Firstly I'm new to this site so please bear with me.
    Way back in 1991, I very sadly lost my father, I was 13 and had no idea what happened when somebody passed away.
    He was employed by British Steel for many years and upon his death I was told his estate and his insurances (amounts which I don't know) were to be held in trust until I reached the age of 18 under the guidance of my mother and grandparents.
    However at the age of 18 I had enlisted in The Army and was away from my family and all the dealings with the inheritance.
    I have been told that all the money was invested in companies which I believe to be on the Stock Market, and have also been told that there was a major crash and everything was wiped out as losses which as I had no reason not to, believed, up until now.
    I understand that this happened a long time ago and appreciate it is going to be difficult to trace but I have reason to believe there may be some kind of untruth in this and my curiosity is getting the better of me.
    Does anyone know of any way which I can trace this money as I have asked the solicitor involved with the estate and he can't remember and my mother has moved house a few times since and also can't remember, do they hold records of transactions and investments on the account even though it was 19 years ago?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as its driving me insane. :mad: :beer:
  • Hi
    I'm trying to trace a Abbey Sharesave account from 2005 through the missing account link but not having a lot of luck with Santander as they say they have no record of the account when they took over Abbey. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
  • My Father has recently passed away and I am helping my Mum to find out whether there are any lost accounts, pensions or insurances in my Father's name. We have found a few after going through my Father's paperwork, a few of which we were unaware of so have decided to make sure we have found everything. The problem we have with the searches outlined is that they ask for previous addresses and we do not have all of my Father's previous addresses to hand. Does anyone know of a way that we could gain this information, for example through a website or online search? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
  • Fertilizer wrote: »
    I used mylostaccount.org which, according to their website
    Well I included my own name and requested a search for myself at my own bank which is in regular use. They came back to me quite quickly.

And the result was ...... "Following extensive investigations carried out on your behalf, we regret to advise you that, Barclays have not found an account in the name of XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX plus any other names (maiden name etc) which you have quoted."

So, can I trust any of these enquiries ??
    Hi there, forgive me if ive fluff this posting, but im out of practise!
    With ref to the above quote regarding MyLostAccount, it states on their website on the 'Search' menu option..

NB: Whilst the term "Lost Account" is used to describe this schemes function it is important to mention that banks only search for "Dormant" bank accounts. Therefore the search result may state "Not Found" but you have "Active" accounts with the bank you have ticked. This is because the search completed by the bank is from their records maintained in a database of "Non Active" or "Dormant" bank accounts only

Hopefully this now means it is a valid search, I fully intend to give it a go, having stumbled across this forum posting! :beer:
  • I wonder if anyone would be able to help me please?
    Im asking on behalf of a friend who is a bit of a technophobe (!!) whose father has recently died, after being ill for several years and his paperwork was left in quite a mess.
    HOW does he find out where his dad had shares registered?
    He thinks hes managed to track down bank/BS accounts, post office accounts, premium bonds, pension bits, but any ideas on what else he should look for would be greatly appreciated! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback