How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income?

Options
124»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2019 at 8:43PM
    Options
    My dad has a negative income, he has to dip into his savings almost every month just to buy food.
    He is on a fixed income which does cover all his bills but not his day to day living (or mine) :o

On the plus side, we do what we want to do and dad doesn't have to go out to work so there is plenty of time for me :T

Maybe you could help your dad out Duncan and catch your own food. Just a reminder - CYCLISTS ARE NOT FOOD.
  • Hectors_House
    Hectors_House Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2019 at 6:46AM
    Options
    If it’s a good month (no big bills going out) it’s £1,000.

Only possible by, finally being mortgage free.

I put most of that aside in savings though cus you never know what is around the corner but it’s great to be able to use my hard earned on what I want to now, be that a holiday or making changes to my house.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have zero :rotfl:
  • username901
    username901 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Most months about -£1000 between wife and I as each taking a small salary up to our 0% tax band, but we can give ourselves a director's loan or dividend up to our 40% band if/when needed (Xmas, prime day and black Friday ;) )
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 July 2019 at 1:13PM
    Options
    I would be interested to see a poll, of Contentment V's Left over money at the end of the month
    or 'Those earning a full time wage, how much free time do you have available to you'

Does money really bring you happiness? For me, the opportunity of getting my hair done at a more expensive Salon, or eating M&S food - didn't

I am talking left over money / after all bills gone - having a huge chunk to do whatever you want with

The jobs with the higher paying salary surely are more difficult/stressful lifestyles

(Well that is what I found myself to a huge degree)

I'm not trying to put anyone down with these thoughts - we all do what is right for us, at the time.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • boomer69
    boomer69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    We have around £300 each, neither of us work and our total outgoings are £20k pa with income of £18k pa (=£2k from savings).in a couple of years I get my SRP of around £5k (£7k causing £1500 income tax), so another £100 a month if we want, Then the wife gets her SRP in 2027 - we'll be quids in then if I'm still alive !!

In 2027 our post tax income will be £30k, so ignoring inflation £200 a week more than we spend now. Pushing our disposable to £700 a month each, we will never spend that.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We don't have any income anymore.

We're in the "living off savings but not yet drawing a pension" phase, so for us, we only spend what we need/want.

You could argue that our whole pot is "disposable" or none at all, because any £ not spent means the pot lasts longer.

If you have a debt (other than stoozed 0% CC) then can any income be truly disposable, if it could be utilised better elsewhere.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure