BTL, debt and no income

Options
My husband and I currently have 2 btl properties, one with a mortgage through Birmingham Midshires, the other we used some cash and credit cards, cards in my name debt is £38k.

Long story short and for my own reasons I want to purchase another btl property with a mortgage solely in my name and without my husband having any knowledge of it. Unfortunately I am between jobs but would have no problem letting the property for over 150% of a mortgage. Would it be possible to get a btl mortgage based solely on the rental income and with debt?

Comments

• sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but if the bank would just hand over the money on the promise of rental income we’d all be doing it! You have no deposit, no income and huge debt. So no chance!
    If you’re having marital issues, which I assume you are as this is a bizarre plan, I’d focus on both of you clearing the credit card debt so you’re not lumbered with it
  • Itsjustsammy19
    Options
    I agree with Sheepy21. You don't have any chance of getting another mortgage in your situation
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are actually married, it will make no difference, whether the property is in joint names or your name only when it comes to divorce.

You are up to your ears in debt with no income and expect to get a mortgage?
  • glen_bel
    glen_bel Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I do have a deposit and yes I could pay it off the 0% credit cards to reduce the debt, however I was holding off to try and use it as a deposit. Both our properties are let and the rents service the credit cards and the mortgage, its just that the cards are in my name therefore the debt shows as belonging to me. I will go back to work soon, I do temporary contracts. I ll just have to wait a bit and buy without a mortgage.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glen_bel wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I do have a deposit and yes I could pay it off the 0% credit cards to reduce the debt, however I was holding off to try and use it as a deposit. Both our properties are let and the rents service the credit cards and the mortgage, its just that the cards are in my name therefore the debt shows as belonging to me. I will go back to work soon, I do temporary contracts. I ll just have to wait a bit and buy without a mortgage.
    What happens if one or both tenants stop paying? And/or when the 0% cc period is over?
  • glen_bel
    glen_bel Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    What happens if one or both tenants stop paying? And/or when the 0% cc period is over?

Yeah, they could do but my husband works and he would cover a few missing months of rent. Its not so much about servicing the existing debt because I am confident that it would be covered. Its about securing a mortgage on my own when the existing debt is seen as mine. I know the properties in my area and I know the rental returns but it is securing the finance is my issue.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my husband works and he would cover a few missing months of rent.

but you said you wanted this purchase to be secret
    mortgage solely in my name and without my husband having any knowledge of it.

what's the rush? wait until you are back in work and have an income to support the application
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have no income other than the rent then I dont think you will get very far.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ignoring all the familial matters in the background (which might well be relevant)....

- You will need a sizeable deposit (25% at least), which I assume you know and have.
    - The outstanding cc debt can have a disproportionate impact on your affordability, so in your place I would aim to bring that down first.
    - I would wait till you start employment as there are a few lenders who will factor your personal income in the equation.
    - Rental income *can* be taken into account by some BTL lenders (subject to a lot of other factors), so long as you can evidence it to the level they require. What evidence is acceptable however, is subjective and differs from lender to lender.

To summarise, no one here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. In your place, I would arm myself with all pertinent details and talk to a broker.
    My husband and I currently have 2 btl properties, one with a mortgage through Birmingham Midshires, the other we used some cash and credit cards, cards in my name debt is £38k.

Long story short and for my own reasons I want to purchase another btl property with a mortgage solely in my name and without my husband having any knowledge of it. Unfortunately I am between jobs but would have no problem letting the property for over 150% of a mortgage. Would it be possible to get a btl mortgage based solely on the rental income and with debt?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are lenders that require no minimum income for BTL. There are also lenders that require no income of any sort. Prime lenders as well, not even having to look too far off the high street

Repeating the above comment, not commenting on your personal family circumstances but in theory it would be possible to get a BTL without an income.
    Get a broker who does a decent amount of btl and you will find a mortgage company able to lend based on criteria.
    Passing a credit score with no income and high unsecured borrowing may be a different factor though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure