Relocate or not

Options

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too was going to ask about friends, do you have a wide circle of friends where you are now.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    My parents lived an hour and a half away, so not as far as yours. I moved and don't regret it at all. My dad became seriously ill and died. I don't regret not being closer. I have lived my life, my dad was in hospital for a while so we had him move closer to me so I could visit every night after work. This meant he was around 2.5hrs from my brother, but my brother didn't mind not seeing him as much. We worked out what worked for us. Now he has died my brother and I are still happy with what we did. Should the same happen to mam I think my brother would visit more (I don't get on with her like he does).
    I'm only saying this as there are options should the worst happen.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How old is your mum?

You’re talking like she’s elderly and won’t Be around long but it sounds like you’re only young...
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    People do move - and move again. If you move up to Cheshire you aren't fixed there for ever more if it doesn't work out - moving back in the other direction would be perfectly possible in future.

That's easier said than done if you're trying to move back to a more expensive area.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    People do move - and move again. If you move up to Cheshire you aren't fixed there for ever more if it doesn't work out - moving back in the other direction would be perfectly possible in future.
    chesky wrote: »
    That's easier said than done if you're trying to move back to a more expensive area.
    Just what I was thinking.

It's not something to do lightly, but with a job offer I'd want to consider it very carefully. And as your DH says if the boot were on the other foot he'd do it in a flash, I'd hope he'd become supportive after thinking about it. And with the children as young as they are, I wouldn't worry too much about 'uprooting' them.

Having said that, we moved when ours were 7, 9 and 12. I was worried sick about the eldest, and he was fine. Middle one was fine too. Youngest - who I'd expected to sail through it! - was the hardest to settle, at least partly because he was having to share a room with his brothers to begin with and was EXHAUSTED!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you - there will be pros and cons to both locations but just be sure to get it right because if you move from Surrey to Cheshire it will probably have to be a permanent move.

The reality is that the house price differential will grow on a yearly basis and you're probably never be able to move back down again unless into a vastly downsized property.

If yiu husband is a southerner at heart and initially has no job up there or even has to accept a lower paid job he doesn,t like just to being some money in he could end up being very unhappy and that will obviously affect your whole family atmosphere.
  • SouthWester
    Options
    I'd just say to remember that it will be a one-way move. We moved from the south east back to the south west a decade ago, and although I don't regret it, I do try not to look at the fact that our old house is now worth more than we could possibly afford to buy it for now!
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    How about renting out the Surrey house? At least for a couple of years until the whole family decides where they'd prefer to live permanently.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    How about renting out the Surrey house? At least for a couple of years until the whole family decides where they'd prefer to live permanently.

Sounds a good idea as long as you use a good agent who really strictly vets your tenant.
    At least this would ensure that the blind panic of having completely burnt your bots would be avoided. But if going for this option you may need check first whether you're likely to be able to get yiur children back into their original schools if this is also an important issue.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Options
    Did you take the job?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts