Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th May 19, 8:51 AM
    • 62,158Posts
    • 44,622Thanks
    soolin
    Once more unto the breach...
    • 24th May 19, 8:51 AM
    Once more unto the breach... 24th May 19 at 8:51 AM
    I am still sorting out huge amounts of clutter from various sources and have listed a whole load of items for free on Facebook Marketplace.

Despite the things being free I have been careful to take good photos, I have added a description, stated clearly my postcode and 'collection only' , where something hasn't been tested I have clearly added to the description something like 'This kettle/ lamp. scanner (whatever) has not been tested, has been in storage and is not new- this is free and has no guarantees. For items like jewellery batches I have clearly stated 'costume only, metal alloy or man made (as appropriate', I seriously could not be clearer if I tried.

I really don't know why I bother though, in less than an hour I've had 2 people ask me to post jewellery items and asking me to confirm the carat weight of the gold content. I've also had someone desperate for a piece of small furniture who after agreeing today would be fine to collect then turned round and said they actually wanted me to run it over to them tonight as they are busy all day, so can I make it after 9pm when they get home from the Bingo (this person actually lives around 15 miles away!)

I am now one of those awful people who have just added a line to my description, that makes me sound picky - I've basically said that all the info is in the description, any requests to post or deliver will be ignored.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 2
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 30th May 19, 8:22 AM
    • 16,444 Posts
    • 22,731 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I rarely list anything for free now. Too many annoying people and time wasters.

I listed a tumble dryer for free which worked perfectly but the door catch was broken so you could open the door whilst it was still running. I listed it on FB as working perfectly BUT SAFETY ISSUE PLEASE READ.

I then described the issue and said it was not suitable for anyone with toddlers or young children.

It took until the 8th person to actually say yes they had read it and no they didn't have kids!

It was just rather tedious having to ask each time "have you read the safety disclaimer?"

I then sold a kids slide for just £5 as I wanted it gone quickly, and this one guy (not first in line - about 5th!!) kept bombarding me with messages saying how he could collect NOW, and he had already shown his daughter and she would be upset etc...

The first person then messed me around with collection, then were supposed to show up before 3pm school run and didn't. I got back at 3.30pm to find them waiting on my drive. I proceeded to quickly bundle my 3 kids into the car to go to a swimming lesson, and told them I'd be back much later! They didn't return!

(The second in line person was lovely!]
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th May 19, 8:48 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    I have had a new headboard for a single bed listed for a couple of weeks, I've had the usual no shows plus someone who actually turned up for it with a toddler in a pushchair and was surprised at how big and heavy a single metal headboard was and told me I could run them home as it was daft to expect them to carry this back on a bus. I declined for so many reasons and actually got criticised on the local board for not making an effort .

had someone who sounded nice ask me for it and was due to collect last night as their husband had a van from work , but didn't arrive and didn't apologise. Relisted it and she got back to me to say he had to work overtime but if I could be ready by 7.45 - 8am today he would collect it on his way past- foolishly I agreed and had it all ready- only for another no show.

My dealer man XYZ has just taken it so no doubt I'll be in trouble again for not letting it go to someone who needs it.

However compare that to three things that were sold for money last night on marketplace , 1 item has been paid for and posted, one was collected this morning and I'm just waiting for the third thing to be collected at 10am. It seems easier to sell something rather than give it away although I think that's because I am less tolerant with sales- if they want it they either pay and let me post or arrange a firm time, if they don't collect then I close that sale down and go to the next one. With the free stuff you tend to get stories about how this will change their life if only they could have it delivered, or endless excuses about sick children and broken down cars - and as I 'm not expecting money I probably let it slide for too long before being firm and moving on.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mirko
    • By mirko 30th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    mirko
    When I list free stuff I arrange a collection date and ensure I leave it outside my house for collection. Waiting in for people is an absolute nightmare. I'd rather deliver it to be honest.

I'm similar to soolin, I generally want to get rid of the stuff so don't care if it goes to a dealer - good luck to them!

I think some people want praise for giving away stuff, even if it's almost worthless. Some people have a high opinion of the stuff they own.

I'm currently trying the best to clear out a lot of clutter from my house, I think we've just about reached "peak stuff" in the UK. Charity shops don't always take stuff, you can barely freecycle it at times due to now shows, and it's not even easy to recycle or dump everything. And it's only going to get worse!
    As of 4/6/2019
    Mort: - £112,225.00
    Loan: - £4,436.62
    CCds: - £3,500.00

Grand Total: £120,161.62
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th May 19, 5:10 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    When I list free stuff I arrange a collection date and ensure I leave it outside my house for collection. Waiting in for people is an absolute nightmare. I'd rather deliver it to be honest.

I'm similar to soolin, I generally want to get rid of the stuff so don't care if it goes to a dealer - good luck to them!

I think some people want praise for giving away stuff, even if it's almost worthless. Some people have a high opinion of the stuff they own.

I'm currently trying the best to clear out a lot of clutter from my house, I think we've just about reached "peak stuff" in the UK. Charity shops don't always take stuff, you can barely freecycle it at times due to now shows, and it's not even easy to recycle or dump everything. And it's only going to get worse!
    Originally posted by mirko
    I know what you mean, I have family stuff in storage, in outbuildings, in the loft, it's everywhere and I'm barely making a dent in it. Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 30th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 6,214 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    mgdavid
    I know what you mean, I have family stuff in storage, in outbuildings, in the loft, it's everywhere and I'm barely making a dent in it. Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.
    Originally posted by soolin

sounds like you could offer your dealer chap a cup of tea and a look round....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th May 19, 7:06 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    sounds like you could offer your dealer chap a cup of tea and a look round....
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I would be tempted but my OH quite rightly points out that letting a stranger poke about in our sheds/outbuildings would be rather foolish. We live in a very busy outer London town with an extremely high burglary rate and don't really want people knowing exactly what we have stashed around.

As well as putting some of the bigger things out on Facebook Marketplace I've been boxing up things and entering them in a local auction, I don't get a lot of money, but it all helps. I don't actually seem to have made much noticeable difference in the stock yet, although the headboard will help free up a few inches in the garage.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 30th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    Frankly for a lot of it if a dealer would just come round with a large van and take it, I'd probably be happy.
    I was recently in the position of having to empty an elderly relative's flat so that it could be sold to pay for her to go into care.

There was quite a lot of good (saleable) furniture and other items. The estate agents found somebody who wanted £500 (!) to take it all away. I eventually found somebody who did it for £50.

The days when House Clearance people would pay for stuff (or even take it away for free) are long gone, I'm afraid.
    Philip
    • soolin
    • By soolin 31st May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    I was recently in the position of having to empty an elderly relative's flat so that it could be sold to pay for her to go into care.

There was quite a lot of good (saleable) furniture and other items. The estate agents found somebody who wanted £500 (!) to take it all away. I eventually found somebody who did it for £50.

The days when House Clearance people would pay for stuff (or even take it away for free) are long gone, I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    I am well aware of that unfortunately. One of the storage units is from my parents house sort of - (long story but basically it became last man standing and my father was a hoarder and ended up in a dementia home so house had to be sold so I have family stuff from other relatives as well). I had a large 3 bed 3 storey house with rooms packed floor to ceiling, and had to clear it in 6 weeks single handed. I hired skips went down when the children were at school and I wasn't working and just threw everything away- i kept some in storage (hence storage units) but basically just dragged it all out including Ercol furniture , G Plan, china, glass wear. 1950s drinks cabinet , paintings, electrics the lot.

Luckily the neighbour had bought the house and found me desperately trying to move cabinets one day. The family came in and said just give us the key, sign the final contract and walk away. I still had the loft, part of the 3rd floor , a master bedroom and the large shed (with dad's Claude Butler racing bike) uncleared - but I was so desperate I just walked out there and then and left the lot.

sorry, gone off on one there a bit....
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 31st May 19, 11:14 AM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 23,223 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I've told this before, but I was banned from my local free cycle for pointing out the local 'disabled, retired old man who tinkered with clocks in his shed to pass the days' was actually a pretty successful dealer raking in a few hundred a month selling what he was given on eBay.
    Apparently this was perfectly fine but I do hope people were careful with what they gave the 'poor old man' in the future.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 31st May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 896 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    I thought that the whole ethos of FreeCycle was to prevent stuff ending up in landfill, and that taking stuff in order to resell it was perfectly acceptable within their rules?

Like Soolin with XYZ, if I have stuff I want to declutter, I really don't care what happens to it as long as somebody takes it away!
    Philip
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 31st May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 23,223 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I thought that the whole ethos of FreeCycle was to prevent stuff ending up in landfill, and that taking stuff in order to resell it was perfectly acceptable within their rules?

Like Soolin with XYZ, if I have stuff I want to declutter, I really don't care what happens to it as long as somebody takes it away!
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    To clarify, I have no problems with reselling.
    I do have issue when people pretend to be elderly and disabled to procure items for resale.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• TripleH
    • By TripleH 2nd Jun 19, 10:43 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    TripleH
    eBay to me is a hobby but it is also there to try and get rid of stuff I no longer want / have 'inherited from relatives' and don't want. Yes I have had items that haven't sold so I have given them to charity shops, I don't mind if someone else has better success and makes money from them (or in fact other things I list on eBay) good luck to them.

I agree with the above stories whereby it seems there is more effort and hassle when you are giving something away 'for free' than when you 'give something away for money' which is daft. As mentioned above, I had patience at the start but now sadly I don't. If something is being given away for free I'm sorry but people collecting must dance to my tune (I am still reasonable and flexible about this).

Over the years, items sold on eBay and collected in person have rarely been any hassle (maybe because people are paying money?).

On the subject of hording, my dad's mother had a large guest house that took a year to clear (compulsive hoarder), fortunately my mum constrained my dad's desire to do this, but still a lot to clear out.

Ho hum another day another penny
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 2nd Jun 19, 10:48 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    I find that if you advertise something for free you get loads of timewasters or demanding people yet if you try to sell for a couple of pounds people rarely let you down and are normally polite and grateful.

In the past I gave a car seat away and they messed me around big time then got stoppy when I told them they could not collect at a certain time as it was right in the middle of the kids bedtime. In the end I left it on the step they collected it and never even bothered to aend a thank you message.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 3rd Jun 19, 5:23 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    I find that if you advertise something for free you get loads of timewasters or demanding people yet if you try to sell for a couple of pounds people rarely let you down and are normally polite and grateful.

In the past I gave a car seat away and they messed me around big time then got stoppy when I told them they could not collect at a certain time as it was right in the middle of the kids bedtime. In the end I left it on the step they collected it and never even bothered to aend a thank you message.
    Originally posted by BargainJunky

My experience too, particularly with Facebook Marketplace. Put an item on for free: missed collections, random strings of messages, no shows and complaints about me not ‘reserving’ it for them after I’ve said something like: ‘two people have already contacted me about this, if they change their mind I’ll offer it to you’.

One example that sticks in my mind is when I put on a job lot of children’s wellies: 6 pairs of various sizes, all used by my children who had grown out of them. Put on for free: lots of arrangements to collect but let down, a message asking what my policy on returns was (!) etc etc. Still here two weeks later. Changed literally one thing in the ad: the price: £10 the lot: gone within 24 hours.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jun 19, 9:53 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    I have 2 'paid for' and one 'free' collection today, let's see what happens this time.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 5th Jun 19, 11:50 AM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    I have 2 'paid for' and one 'free' collection today, let's see what happens this time.

My bet is the 'paid for' turn up and the 'free' no shows.

In an ideal world all will turn up and the 'free' will bring you a box of chocolates or bottle of wine as a thank you.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    My bet is the 'paid for' turn up and the 'free' no shows.

In an ideal world all will turn up and the 'free' will bring you a box of chocolates or bottle of wine as a thank you.
    Originally posted by BargainJunky
    Both the paid for items have gone as arranged, the free stuff isn't due for collection until later, so fingers crossed.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jun 19, 7:12 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    Person collecting the free items was due at 7am, it's now 8.10 and there's no sign of him nor have I had any messages.

Off to the charity shop on Friday then this lot goes.

The good news is that I'm now down to about 2 car loads of stuff left in the big storage room, I can give notice on Friday and that will save me about £1200 a year on storage fees.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 6th Jun 19, 5:36 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Sadly I think if you offer something for 'free' people think there is something up with it. How wrong they are!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin