The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    I tend to find my clothes all wear out at the same time, and have put it down to the fact that at one point, I bought a load of quality items. They then last forever, and so when they die, they do it in unison. It does mean that I have vast periods when I am not spending on clothes year on year.

Cannot be helped. If his working environment demands a particular dress code at a certain quality, then its a cost that has to be met. At least he won't need a new coat for a few more years.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • You'd think so, wouldn't you, but he's strangely hard on clothes for a man with an office job. This coat was only two years old.

Visiting Dog goes home this evening, much to the relief of my elder cat. Younger Cat thinks V Dog is great, and happily chases him all over the garden, but Elder Cat is not having anything to do with this nonsense and has spent a week holed up in my study sulking.

We really want our own dog - have I talked about this before? - but because the laws around pet ownership and backyard breeders are so strict here (which is obviously great!) there are very few rescues, and they tend to be pit bulls with abusive backgrounds or 13 year olds with serious health problems, and buying a pure or cross breed puppy runs into the thousands. I've been on various waiting lists and rescue lists for almost two years now, and I may have to suck it up and pay $2,000 for a puppy or just accept that we're never getting a dog. I'm sad today because I found someone who needed to rehome a cat-friendly one year old dog, but someone else got in ten minutes before I did.

Mr E's repainting the lounge room today and then building a new bookshelf to replace the old one we carted across from the last house. It's going to be properly huge, with a rolling library ladder, which is basically my childhood fantasy come to life. I'm working, with Elder Cat sulking on the armchair behind me.

Scored a big bag of school uniform hand-me-downs this morning, though. And I have a friend who's saving a lot of her second hand clothes for me when I visit her city in a couple of weeks: she has a taste for very expensive clothes so this is excellent. I bought a couple of dresses from her last year, which I always get complimented on (she paid $350 per, I paid $60), and this time she's said she doesn't want any money which is very sweet. Must go through and chuck out a bunch of my old stuff, though: things that are just ripped or paint stained.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • bubblycrazy
    bubblycrazy Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We really want our own dog - have I talked about this before? - but because the laws around pet ownership and backyard breeders are so strict here (which is obviously great!) there are very few rescues, and they tend to be pit bulls with abusive backgrounds or 13 year olds with serious health problems, and buying a pure or cross breed puppy runs into the thousands. I've been on various waiting lists and rescue lists for almost two years now, and I may have to suck it up and pay $2,000 for a puppy or just accept that we're never getting a dog. I'm sad today because I found someone who needed to rehome a cat-friendly one year old dog, but someone else got in ten minutes before I did.

Mr E's repainting the lounge room today and then building a new bookshelf to replace the old one we carted across from the last house. It's going to be properly huge, with a rolling library ladder, which is basically my childhood fantasy come to life. I'm working, with Elder Cat sulking on the armchair behind me.

That's amazing that there's a 2 year waiting list for rescues! I think there should be a ban on animal breeding here until all the unwanted animals have a home first!
    Love the sound of a rolling library ladder!
    MFW - Original balance 28/08/2014 £52850
    Original MF date: 2049:eek: Aiming for: 2025 Current MFD: 2030
    Balance 27/07/2016 £49990
    Balance 08/07/2017 £47999
    Balance 30/07/2018 £44500
    Balance 01/08/2019 £40700
    Balance 03/09/2020 £37619
    Balance 30/09/2021 £33983
  • Well there's not exactly a two year waiting list for any and all rescues - that's how long I've been looking for a rescue that's suitable with cats and kids, which does narrow it down. But yeah, I do think the rules are good. One of the things that happens here is that registered breeders can only sell pure breeds if they're desexed, unless they're selling to another registered breeder. So that really cuts down a lot on accidental cross breeds, and unwanted puppies. Also, of course, if you have to spend $2,000 on a puppy, you're going to make sure you're really prepared to look after a dog and you probably won't dump it. It's all really good! But also I want a dog and I can't afford one. I'm stalking aged care facilities, because you sometimes get dogs that need rehoming because an elderly person is going into a care institution.

Anyway! Enough doggie talk. Mr E is off with the kids again today and has taken them recreational-shopping, so we'll see what comes of that. It's only bric-a-brac stores, I think, but no doubt they'll eat lunch out. To be honest, it's been so drizzly and miserable here all week that I can't blame them - they're going stir crazy just being in the house.

Lounge room painting is done, with enough paint left over (I bought 10L = $160) to do the next room as well, and it looks much better.

Mr E's been waking up with worsening back pain for a few months, and we have conceded that our mattress is well past it: it was fancy, 12 years ago, but now it's sagging. A good new one is thousands, though, so instead we swapped it with Elder Girl's mattress (she's 8, she won't get back pain!) and then bought a new mattress topper to go on top of her firmer one. So hopefully that's solved that problem for $100.

Once again, though, all of these perfectly reasonable, modest costs are going to be the difference between an overpayment and a breaking-even. Bring on the tax return!
  • The friend for whom I was looking after Visiting Dog has just dropped past with a thank you card and an offer to have my girls to hers for a sleepover so Mr E and I can go on a date. And then I opened the card once she'd left and there's also $100 in it!

I feel really touched and excited about the idea of going out for dinner with Mr E, we never go out together just the two of us - last time was January, because my Dad sent us some money for a dinner out. But also I feel super uncomfortable at the idea of taking money from her. Surely I should give it back and just accept the free babysitting? WWYD?
  • Tahlullah
    Hi, that was really very kind of your friend. What would I do? It would depend. Is my friend absolutely skint or not? If you know that by taking the money, she won't be able to buy food for a week, I would return it. If however, they are financially comfortable and can afford the gift, then I would accept it with good grace. Sometimes, it is more hurtful to the giver say no to a gift.

You can send her a nice hand written thank you note saying what you did with the money and how it was the first time in however long since you and Mr ACE went out etc. Your friend will then know it was very much appreciated.

To be fair, if we had to pay £2k for a puppy over here, there would be fewer strays. Great idea. Because you have to try and get the right dog and so there is a waiting period, it does mean that those dogs will end up in the right home and with families that care for them and accept the responsibilities that dog owning brings. Just wish they could introduce such laws and regulation in the UK.

The bookcase and ladder sound lovely! Wish I had a room big enough to accommodate such a wonderfully large collection of books!

And yes, something always comes up, just when you thought you were getting back on an even keel and back to paying down that mortgage. Don't lose hope, you are still heading in the right direction.

Tx

Owed at the end of -
  • Definitely accept the money graciously. $100 is probably a lot less than paying for kennels anyway.

Im sure friends would love to have the children over as well (they'd have just given you the money and not offered the childcare if not)

Have a great night out, book it in before you forget...

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Thank you both! Yep, I checked and kennelling would have cost them closer to $300, and you don't get one-on-one spoiling and millions of walks and belly rubs in a kennel. They're not skint, they're like us in a middle class comfortable-but-careful way, so I will accept.

It's been pouring for four days here, and last night thunder and hail - my cat was hiding behind the couch glaring at me as if it was my fault the weather was being so loud. Got up this morning to find a sleeping possum in one of the chicken's nesting boxes: it must have crept in at twilight for scraps and got shut in for the night when I locked up the hens. When I let them out this morning it sat up in the box and blinked at me. I think it's gone back to sleep, though: it's dry and dark, which is a lot better than a tree in this weather!

Spent the entire day so far doing my spreadsheets for the accountant. Not sure why I pay an accountant really, since I do so much of the prep work myself, but she helps with deciding what's allowable as a deduction and she always suggests a few things I wouldn't have thought of, which pays her fee. I'm eager to see how much she thinks we'll get back this year. Sad as it is, I've had a really nice morning with my figures and my spreadsheets.
  • I love spending time with a good spreadsheet, I find it quite calming.

Love the story of the Possum squatting with your girls, I'm assuming that possums are 'safe' as far as interacting with the chicks is concerned?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Tahlullah
    Ahh, spreadsheets. moving towards the big reset.

All good.

Tx

Owed at the end of -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport