Se99paj
Se99paj Posts: 31 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 25 March 2019 at 10:40AM in Consumer rights
What did you buy?
I bought a sim free Google Pixel 3 phone

When did you buy it?
November 2018 - So is within the 12 month warranty period for the phone

Where from? (internet or in store - it DOES make a difference)
I ordered the phone online to get picked up from a store, assuming this means its an internet order

How did you pay? (cash/cheque/debit card/credit card etc)
I paid on credit card

What went wrong?
The lower part of the touchscreen hs stopped working, this is right where the back/home button is located so makes the phone very difficult to use.

What are the vendors telling you?
I returned the phone for a warranty repair and picked up the phone yesterday, when I got home and restored the device it became apparent that the touchscreen still wasn't functioning.

What solution or remedy are you looking for? (Companies may Repair / Refund / Replace)
I'm really just looking for a working phone, without the need to send this one back for repair. Am I correct in thinking that the retailer has one opportunity to repair the phone, if it isn't fixed then I can request a full refund? and what's the best way to do this:
1.) Go back into the store, they might try to fob me off with another repair, I can recite the consumer rights act all day long but realistically are they the ones that can make that decision.
2.) Raise a complaint via Carphone Warehouse, this will take longer but would probably go to the right people who make the decision
3.) Should I raise this with my credit card or is this a last resort
4.) If they offer me a full refund or a new replacement which should I go for? In my head I think I should take the full refund then buy a new Google Pixel 3, they will then be regarded as completely separate unrelated purchases.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you paid online and just collected from store then it's an online purchase, but if you paid in store then it's a direct sale. In the first instance I would go to store as this is likely to be the easiest route to a remedy. If the repair was dealt with directly by the manufacturer without you contacting the seller them i would take any paperwork relating to the repair with you. There has been one attempt at a repair so you need to exercise your final right to reject the phone.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether it was an online sale or not is largely irrelevant as it was purchased nearly 5 months ago.

You need to take it back to the store, explain that the fault is still there and state that as they've had one attempt at repair already you wish to reject the phone for a full refund, as per your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. As you've paid by credit card you could also raise a section 75 claim if CPW don't play ball.
  • Se99paj
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I've raised a complaint with Carphone Warehouse online as I won't be able to get in-store for a few days. Also it means there will be a paper trail to avoid any confusion.

If I don't get any progress within the next few days I'll consider the section 75 claim.

Will let you know how I get on.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suggest that the next time you pick it up that you test it there in the store in front of the assistant.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Se99paj
    Options
    Good idea - I did start restoring the device in store using their Wi-Fi but it was taking a long time.

The very bottom of the screen isn't required until the device has finished being restored.

Hopefully next time I'll be returning with a refund or a new phone, have no plans to send away again for a repair
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Just on Saturday in the Nappa Valley BoPsie dropped her iPhone and cracked the screen.

On Sunday in union square San Francisco it was repaired by Apple. Job done. No problem. It was cheaper than the UK.
  • Angus_Og
    Angus_Og Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    Se99paj wrote: »
    If I don't get any progress within the next few days I'll consider the section 75 claim.

Jeez, just go and sort it out with the shop and when you start hitting a brick wall you can start talking about your rights.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just on Saturday in the Nappa Valley BoPsie dropped her iPhone and cracked the screen.

On Sunday in union square San Francisco it was repaired by Apple. Job done. No problem. It was cheaper than the UK.

If you're still in SF then check out https://thestinkingrose.com/sf/index.html

but only if you're a garlic lover! Take BoPsie to The Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins hotel) for a cocktail with an incredible view of the city.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure