50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    You are in a beautiful part of the world then. My Dad was from Spennymoor and my Mam from Durham.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bugslett wrote: »
    You are in a beautiful part of the world then. My Dad was from Spennymoor and my Mam from Durham.

What a small world! My last work place was based in Spennymoor, and I drive through Durham on my new commute, my nights out "with the lads" is usually to Durham, took my oldest for a night out there last time he was up as he wanted to tour the Gin Bars (prefer the real ale myself!)- the old time miners would be rolling if they saw how upmarket the place is now!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    I haven't been there for years. My maternal grandpa was indeed a miner!

It is a small world.:)
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Forumite
    Just a quick update, while sat waiting to get ready for my nightshift today.

Have managed to sit Mrs CRV down and we've completed the paperwork to open a SIPP for her, relatively painlessly. Having worked our figures out we're putting 200pm into it. Small beer maybe for some but I am hoping to put additional money in over the year, depending on earnings.

Having worked 9 overtime shifts this month the realisation that I can only do this for short bursts means from April I'm aiming to do two, one for Mrs CRV pension on top of our baseline 200pm and one for an ISA for me. March I've got 9 OT shifts booked on the basis I've got two weeks leave that I don't really want to take so I'll still have 3 days a week off.

I understand that this will not lead to the land of bread and honey, but am reckoning on "every little helps" when we do take the plunge.
  • crv1963
    Forumite
    Hi

I'm on my day off, so here is my February payday update!

Spending- Have managed to keep myself in check. We spent £380 on a new petrol lawnmower, we decided to go for a robust self-propelled model that will hopefully last for years as opposed to my usual go to version of buying second hand or reconditioned. Having a self-propelled one means it is so much easier to cut the lawns, and I was surprised at how fast I managed to do the first cut of the year!

I've bought sister-in-law a nice bottle of gin, ordered from the distillery for her 50th later in the month, to go with a few things Mrs CRV has bought (jewelry) and she is also busy sewing something for her too. Also bought youngest son a bottle of rum for his birthday next month, another bottle of gin to put away for someone for Christmas and some pieces of jewelry for Mothers day and Christmas for Mum.

I've decided to buy all the gin from distilleries local to the NE, I didn't realise how many there were until I worked in my current office! Not the cheapest option but buying local helps the local jobs/ economy, I'm of the view that sometimes helping others is as important as helping ones self.

Saving- Put £50 away again for a rainy day. Started a SIPP for Mrs CRV- signed up last month, with Hargreaves Lansdown, I chose Vanguard Lifestyle 60/40 as the fund, having read up on the Pension Board and a bit of research this seems to fit Mrs CRV risk profile, so we're putting £200 pm into that.

I'm hoping that I do two overtime shifts pm from April, one of which will go into the pension for her. We'll have to see how that pans out, if I can put a bit more into it I'd like to. Ideally I'd like to be putting around 800pm into it so with the tax return uplift we'd have 1k pm saved.

Sorting- No real progress as I'm busy trying to fit everything in- work, commute, self management as in making time to just be or relax.

Other News- Doing an extra lot of shifts on my annual leave again this month and have two booked for April. It has dawned on me that I am not as young as I was! I am making sure that I work no more than 5 days/ nights per week, but when my annual leave is over I am going to make sure that from April I'm only going to work 48 hours or 4 shifts per week, I want to enjoy the fruits of my labour!

Simple Pleasure- Did a couple of nice things, went on a course through work where we were not allowed to speak, this was surprisingly easy, had a lovely walk through the North Yorkshire landscape at the lunchtime. Also had a nice afternoon with Fish and Chips in Whitby while out for a drive.

Have a great day!

CRV
  • [QUOTE=crv196 Also had a nice afternoon with Fish and Chips in Whitby while out for a drive.

CRV[/QUOTE]

Nothing quite like fish and chips at the seaside :)
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    crv1963 wrote: »
    Hi
    We spent £380 on a new petrol lawnmower, we decided to go for a robust self-propelled model that will hopefully last for years as opposed to my usual go to version of buying second hand or reconditioned.

CRV

I think that will turn out to be a good investment :).

Is anyone else suffering from 'Brexit Burnout' lol. With the weather being so bad I've been spending too much time watching 'the proceedings' - lost for words :)

On a positive note, the roof on the old barn I'm renovating has now been replaced. It looks so much different and although my bank balance is considerably lower, I'm really glad it's done.

CRV, my sister-in-law invests in the Vanguard 60/40 Fund - seems a good choice :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Is anyone else suffering from 'Brexit Burnout' lol. With the weather being so bad I've been spending too much time watching 'the proceedings' - lost for words :)
    Not burnout, no. I am suffering from BTS - Brexit Tourette's Syndrome :o. Never sworn or yelled at the TV so much in my life :(.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • gallygirl wrote: »
    Never sworn or yelled at the TV so much in my life :(.

As bad as that eh. Have to say that Donald T's thoughts on the matter made me laugh :)

Glad the roof is on APJ - just hope it stays there with the winds :). When do you start on building your new property?

Hope you aren't working too hard CRV - remember- it's important to

rest too. That's something I had to learn :).

I'm also a fan of the Vanguard Funds.

Bet Bugslett is on the countdown - can't be much longer now :)
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's the million dollar question :). Should start in May, but you know what builders are like!

The interview with DT also made me smile. It has been reported that he told Mrs M 'to sue' the EU - on what grounds I don't know. Would love to have been a 'fly on the wall' at that meeting :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback