Help required purchasing Microsoft Office

13»

Comments

• kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    A couple of issues here... adding an external DVD reader/writer costs around £12 for a USB powered one from eBay. I bought one for my Dell desktop recently, it is a “business” PC that only had a DVD reader.

Secondly, copying files from home to work on a USB stick will have your IT department going purple... any company or organisation worth its salt will either have disabled USB or restrict its use to specific encrypted USB sticks, it’s a huge security risk from both malicious software and sensitive material being leaked/lost.

I understand what you are saying but I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Who mentioned company PC's, oh you did.

As for disabling USB ports, I visit numerous companies and occasionally have to install software or copy off data and the only organisation I have come across that restricts USB access is the MOD.

To be fair the assumption was correct :o
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    kazmeister wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying but I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    You won't lose anything by copying them across and then installing Libre Office and see if you can read them all. If you can you have saved the cost of MS Office, if not you can then look at the best way to install MS Office.
  • Steve_KK
    Steve_KK Posts: 39 Forumite
    kazmeister wrote: »
    I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    Why not ask you IT team for help? A reasonable request like this should be accommodated. I would certainly be happy to help with this type of request, plus by approaching your IT team there is less chance you could be accused of misappropriating sensitive company documents.

Regards,
    Steve
  • OP - does your company use Office365? If so, then...

1/ Ensure your office documents are syncing to OneDrive
    2/ Go to a browser on your home laptop, and visit https://portal.office.com
    3/ Sign in with your work user ID / password
    4/ Find your document and view / edit in the browser.

If you want to edit offline, your company may have enabled the ability for you to install office apps from the MS portal. Once you've signed in above, if this is the case, towards the top-right there will be an option "Install Office". This will allow you to install Word etc, but those applications will require you to sign in with your work ID. But they will also allow you to work on One Drive stored files.

All companies should consider what access they allow via USB sticks, and should be running encrypted HDD/SSD's as well.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    I had Libre Office on my PC and it worked fine as I can remember. But then I had issues when uploading my CV to one of these on-line job web-sites such as Indeed.co.uk or was it Jobcenterplus ? Anyway, I ended up using Office365 which I have to pay around £5 per month for. I would like a cheaper option though. Maybe purchasing a slightly older version of Office would be the answer?
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Ader1 wrote: »
    I had Libre Office on my PC and it worked fine as I can remember. But then I had issues when uploading my CV to one of these on-line job web-sites such as Indeed.co.uk or was it Jobcenterplus ? Anyway, I ended up using Office365 which I have to pay around £5 per month for. I would like a cheaper option though. Maybe purchasing a slightly older version of Office would be the answer?
    If you are sending stuff like CV's to those sites you should really be sending them as PDF's. Libre Office can export as PDF's quite easily.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    And of course you'll need to check your company's IT policy on the security of transferring work files from your work computer to your personal computer.

(If they are both laptops, why not just work on the work laptop at home?)
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    That assumes that the TUPEing will result in the OP retaining the existing infrastructure and PC equipment; probable but not guaranteed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure