PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Stockpiling is a word that suggests taking more than your share of things and selfishly hoarding more than you could possibly need to the detriment of the rest of humanity. What preppers do (and this is nothing like the extremes that are seen in the USA) is to stock up a couple of cupboards with things that we will use in the course of our lives anyway, everyday items like stock cubes, tea bags and tins of beans, candles, paracetamol and loo rolls. Here in the UK we don't have big enough homes to 'stockpile' and the suggestion that preppers do is quite ludicrous. I prep because I like to have some sort of buffer between me and a possible event, I have one cupboard in my store room that has in it tins, rice, pasta, a little flour, tea bags and packs of instant 'add boiling water' foods. I have some otc meds in the bathroom but we only have limited storage space so I couldn't 'stockpile' even if I wanted to. Why does the fact that I'm trying to help our lives be more comfortable and secure in the future for any reason, not necessary Brexit but bad weather, civil unrest, flu or other illness etc. make people so critical?

I don't think there was any criticism, whether overt or implied, in the post you are alluding to. It was just a genuine question
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Saipan wrote: »
    Interesting and helpful information, thank you.

I am one of the many who rely on life-saving (as opposed to life-enhancing) medication to keep me alive and I have recently escalated my preparations for obtaining it outside the UK given the current situation. I have no doubt that the Secretary of State for Health was not scaremongering when he said in November that the government couldn't guarantee that people wouldn't die due to lack of appropriate medication in the event of a no-deal scenario.

One of my medications is manufactured in France and I am already looking into how I can purchase it from there, what documentation I would need, whether friends in Europe could buy it for me, etc. I will definitely look into the possibility of buying it in Ireland. I have lost count of the number of people I know of who have recently secured Irish citizenship, or are applying for it, so this could be an easier option. I am avoiding buying via the internet as who knows what it might contain.
    I also need life-saving meds. I am amazed at how the worries of people like us get dismissed as remainers moaning, scaremongering etc. I have got an Irish passport rather than renewing my UK passport and would go to Ireland and stay with relatives if necessary. My husband is disabled and it would be very hard as he couldn't come with me but couldn't manage alone so I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. I suppose I would have to go back and forth until things are sorted out.

I wouldn't buy something off the internet for the same reason.

Both of these posts concern me greatly.

It's enough to know that you rely on drugs to keep you alive, but the added stress of worrying about whether your drugs are going to be available must be intolerable.

It has led me to reflect that 'prepping' is different for all of us. For some its fairly easy - for others its quite literally life or death.

I think we need to be understanding of each others various needs - and the fact that Humpty feels her concerns are still being dismissed means that we have some way to go.

I wish I had answers for Saipan and Humpty. However, I completely understand your concerns. I would be feeling exactly the same .
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh dear! I don't play, I won't play and I won't get into a discussion or argument with anyone here or on the Brexit thread. I'm sorry to be so disobliging but I'm not so vulgar as to indulge in name calling and blame but I do maintain my right to live my life as I see fit including continuing to prep for the unforeseen without having to justify what I do.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ok, uses for tinned sardines.... I mush them up, add chives and a dash of lemon juice or vinegar, spread them in hot buttered toast, put a bit of grated cheese on top then nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese. Any other suggestions?
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For those who absolutely rely on their life saving medication, is there any possibility that you can find a private GP nearby now who could prescribe additional medication on a private prescription?.

I understand some may have political objections to "going private" but when it,s a matter of serious health protection for yourself or a loved one, I think some issues have to be put into perspective, especially if you're a carer for other members of your family.

I hope these issues have been covered by the government and will not arise but taking things into your own hands and sourcing an alternative emergency supply now if you can may provide some peace of mind.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    For those who absolutely rely on their life saving medication, is there any possibility that you can find a private GP nearby now who could prescribe additional medication on a private prescription?.

I understand some may have political objections to "going private" but when it,s a matter of serious health protection for yourself or a loved one, I think some issues have to be put into perspective, especially if you're a carer for other members of your family.

I hope these issues have been covered by the government and will not arise but taking things into your own hands and sourcing an alternative emergency supply now if you can may provide some peace of mind.

I am considering it, my worry is they normally won't prescribe my med without a barrage of tests which would make it alot more expensive and difficult. I am trying to find out if my NHS GP would give them copies of my records but haven't been able to get a definite answer.

I hate the thought of doing it as I feel not everyone can afford it and there is strength in numbers but at the end of the day I might have to swallow my principles.

I heard the Health Secretary being interviewed today and he was asked about this and he said something along the lines of if everyone does as they should it will be OK. I can't accurately quote him. He gave no indication if everyone is doing what they should so no wiser really. I felt it was a bit woolly.

It really does make the whole thing very worrying. I can cope with less choice in the shops and shortages, my husband has regular med but his is for pain relief and there are alternative he could have but some meds aren't so easily replaced.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Try spreading some pesto on toast before topping with the sardines. The ones canned in tomato sauce are good. Then grated cheese on top and flash under the grill. Nomnomnom
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Add mashed sardines to mashed potato, form into patties and shallow fry, fishcakes!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    Oh I had completely forgotten about that, thank you. Heaven knows whether this is produced in the UK. Things like tofu are presumably produced elsewhere but I really don't know any more. We only find out when the price rockets or there is none to be had.

Just in case, have you spotted Aldi has silken tofu in for veganuary? £1.45, also jackfruit cheaper than anywhere I've seen at £1.09
  • pinkfox
    pinkfox Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. My first time here on the Brexit prepping thread. Some great thoughts and advice here I've read so far, though will take me a while to read it all.

We only started prepping for Brexit a few weeks ago. We are currently focusing on tinned fruit and veg as we worry about fresh food shortages and rising prices due to initial customs problems.

I'd really like to step it up over the next couple of months so we have a good store of food and essentials. There is so much to consider I find it overwhelming sometimes. Everyones situation is different but any advice/thoughts on what to prioritise?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback