French & German TV ?

Options
Hi,

Which is the best and most cost effective way to receive French and German speaking channels on a Samsung smart TV in addition to UK channels - don’t want sport? Any helpful advice gratefully received!

Comments

• mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get an Android box theres lots on there,cost from £30 up.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or if you want to stay on the right side of IP rights, many German channels are available in clear on the Astra satellite at 19E, a correctly aligned dish and decoder box will get those (no viewing card required).

These people https://fransat.co.uk/home.php offer a lifetime viewing card for French TV from the UK, again via satellite.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • sasparillo
    sasparillo Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Or if you want to stay on the right side of IP rights, many German channels are available in clear on the Astra satellite at 19E, a correctly aligned dish and decoder box will get those (no viewing card required).

These people https://fransat.co.uk/home.php offer a lifetime viewing card for French TV from the UK, again via satellite.

This might be a dumb question but is it possible to have French, German and UK channels easily accessible on a smart TV or is it fiddly?

Thanks so much!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    Options
    sasparillo wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question but is it possible to have French, German and UK channels easily accessible on a smart TV or is it fiddly?

Thanks so much!
    Broadcasts that you can access (free to air for German and with a viewing card for French) are by satellite so you will need a dish and decoder box. Since the German channels in clear are at 19.2E and Fransat (one off payment for the viewing card) is at 5W it will have to be a motorised dish.

TNTsat is also at 19E so a fixed dish at 19E is possible with that, it has the French channels but the cards only last 4 years (£80 for that time). I think the French viewing cards only work in the official decoders.

You may do better going to a local satellite shop and explaining what you want to achieve.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2020 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Maybe try forums that are dedicated to satellite, world of satellite is 1, av forums have a satellite sub forum, maybe others out there.
  • mega_biscoito
    Options
    And for a person that has no possibility to have a Sat dish in the house, due to living in a apartment?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And for a person that has no possibility to have a Sat dish in the house, due to living in a apartment?
    You'll have to rely on internet provision, then, since French and German channels are not broadcast here.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To use a Smart TV to receive other channels, including those from outside the UK, you'll need to start with the App Store for the TV and see what's available.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

As mentioned an android box is an option.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    For the "öffentlich-rechtlichen Sender" (public broadcast channels) try this.

https://mediathekview.de/

I assume you understand German ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family